What have we done to upset the BBC

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

What have we done to upset the BBC

Post by culmstockgull »

Just listened to the local BBC's evening sports round up on the tele.Exeter chiefs quite rightly get a major mention being all conquering, Plymouth and exeter both lost and get a mention, Torquay United, nothing , not a sentence.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Don't forget the Plymouth Raiders basketball team, they are more important than us too, and Plymouth Albion rugby club , they are often featured, we are a bigger club than them as well. Agree Spotlight are an utter disgrace.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

The BBC's coverage of local sport is quite poor compared to ITV - they showed both of Torquay's goals this evening.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

They are a shambles for sure. When we had Eastleigh away they mentioned everyone else playing but not us.
Gullinblack

Post by Gullinblack »

We haven’t upset BBC - they’re just plymouth obsessed.
BBC Radio couldn’t wait to drop us when we were in NLS.
Calling the sport coverage ‘regional’ is a joke.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

That's why i call them BBC Radio Plymouth. In November 2012 a friend of mine, she was just 22 years old at the time, was working in Betfred bookmakers alone on a Sunday evening when a thug entered the shop and robbed her at knifepoint. The man stole £ 3,200 and the robbery wasn't even mentioned on Radio Devon. Several years ago i wrote a letter to the then sports editor on Radio Devon, Martin Dean, complaining about it's biased sports coverage. Mr Dean did write back to me and surprisingly agreed that the station was indeed biased towards Plymouth because he said that over half the population of Devon live in the Plymouth area.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 08:59 That's why i call them BBC Radio Plymouth. In November 2012 a friend of mine, she was just 22 years old at the time, was working in Betfred bookmakers alone on a Sunday evening when a thug entered the shop and robbed her at knifepoint. The man stole £ 3,200 and the robbery wasn't even mentioned on Radio Devon. Several years ago i wrote a letter to the then sports editor on Radio Devon, Martin Dean, complaining about it's biased sports coverage. Mr Dean did write back to me and surprisingly agreed that the station was indeed biased towards Plymouth because he said that over half the population of Devon live in the Plymouth area.
Same up here on Look Leeds - sorry Look North...... :}
The Dee-dars, Sheff Utd, hardly got mentioned when they were promoted to the PL, but of course as soon as Dirty Leeds managed it last season, loll and behold we have nearly the full half-hour programme banging on about it.... :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Dick Woodacre would have sorted it out.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Yes i remember Dick Woodacre. When he came on the tv on a Saturday evening after the main news, you only had to look at his face and hear him start to speak to know if Plymouth won or lost. It makes me laugh to think how biased the man was. Another man who was i think on Westward TV was Chris Fear. Mr Fear was just as bad as woodacre even though i believe he lived in Torquay.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 09:21 Same up here on Look Leeds - sorry Look North...... :}
The Dee-dars, Sheff Utd, hardly got mentioned when they were promoted to the PL, but of course as soon as Dirty Leeds managed it last season, loll and behold we have nearly the full half-hour programme banging on about it.... :@
Bloody dirty Leeds. Hate them with a passion.
Their fans are self entitled bellends too

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Dare say they'll miraculously remember us again if we get promoted to L2...
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

gullsflyinghigh wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 11:25 Dare say they'll miraculously remember us again [s]if[/s] when we get promoted to L2...
FTFY
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

They didn't seem to ignore ECFC when they were in the conference.
Grecian71
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Fred Binney

Post by Grecian71 »

grockle wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 08:17 They didn't seem to ignore ECFC when they were in the conference.
On the contrary, in our first season in the Conference, BBC Spotlight made a very specific point of dropping coverage of our results, in favour of showing Yeovil's goals etc - as the Glovers had just gone in the opposite direction up to the League. Even though, Yeovil were also covered by the BBC Bristol area I think.

Of course, in our second Conference season we then went on our Cup run and met Man Utd, which resulted in wide national media coverage. At that point, they came back to us with their tails between their legs. Very satisfying.

But the coverage of Conference action was still very patchy after that.

Do agree, though that it is a consequence of a very marked Plymouth-centric approach by the Beeb.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

I remember one very wet evening and Fear came trundling across the pitch on his way over to the camera . He had a fi.e of stuff in his hands and he slipped up on his ass. Huge cheers from the popside. Everything blew away.