National League - Hartlepool v Torquay United - BT Sport - 31/10/20 - 5:20pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

On the subject of Jamie Reid, personally I was always a big fan of his right through out his time with us, the amount of stick he got when clearly played out position was uncalled for, and often annoyed me when pervious managers didn't have the courage or confidence to back the lad to score goals, like Gary Johnson did.

Going into this season he was the wrong side of 25, now 26 his stock never had been so high, he was absolutely right to back himself to make it, in the EFL and take the move that he did, it hasn't worked out for him so far, but I'll never stop hoping that it does.

Without wishing to take anything away from the rest of the squad, it was Reidy's goals that took us to the NLS title, with the PPG ending to last season once again it was his goals that helped us avoid what could have been a very embarrassing to the last campaign. Jamie Reid was a great servant of our club, think there's no need for anyone to be overly harsh, nasty, or feel the need to stick two fingers up at him because he decided to leave.

However if I was to do a Wright v Reid comparison, it's early in the season, but on what I've seen today alone, and from the Aldershot highlights, Wright adds an extra dimension as he's good in the air with his head, and Wright looks the more composed finisher, could have seen Reid missing the chance for first goal , but I'm as we go through the season, I'm sure wright may miss the odd chance you'd have Jamie Reid to score.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 21:08 Went to a handful of matches in the north last season, and never once saw the Jamie Reid that people raved about. What we saw was a lazy bottler who shyed out of the physical stuff, walked about watching the match and very occasionally coming to life.

When he left it was (for some) like the sky had caved in.

Any thoughts now from the same Jamie lovers?
My thoughts are that Jamie Reid didn't play in this match, so his opportunities to influence opinions about his ability were limited, rendering any discussion about him moot.

Good day.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Whats all this obsession with Reid? He was a big part of the progress the club made and then for his performances got a bigger opportunity at a higher level club. Good luck to him, if we miss him we miss him and if we don't then even better, but he earned the right to try his chances elsewhere. 5-0 to suggests his not missed and probably he won't be as so far there seem to be different options.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 20:06 If we ever get to attend a match again, i expect our fans to be chanting Clarke Osbourne's yellow army. This includes you Southampton Gull and SuperNickyWroe. I also expect to see Merse holding a giant flag with it written in large capital letters !!!!!!!
I could always ask a Brizzle Rovers fan to join you, perhaps Rjc70 knows a few fellow Reading Speedway fans that might cheer.

I've already said my piece, time will tell whether the brown stuff on your lips was tasty or not.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Enjoy !! Our highlights start at 8 minutes in.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Great performance today - there was an abundance of skilful attacking football and a sure-footed defence to mark an almost perfect game. Almost everyone had good games. Could have been seven against a team who, I think, were previously unbeaten.

PS I thought the referee was excellent and kept the game flowing
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

A few things I really loved today was Rendells through ball for the first goal, Ben Wynters back header to set up the second and Connors backheel for Ben to cross for Dannys hatrick !! Brazil of the westcountry !!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Modgull wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 00:34 Great performance today - there was an abundance of skilful attacking football and a sure-footed defence to mark an almost perfect game. Almost everyone had good games. Could have been seven against a team who, I think, were previously unbeaten.

PS I thought the referee was excellent and kept the game flowing
Yes, it was a great performance today, reminiscent (remember them) of Halifax and Stockport away.
Ref was good until he decided not to send a Pools player off for a deliberate elbow. Gave a yellow. Saw it - Should have been red. Without the bias too.
Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

As good a midfield performance since we dropped out the league from Adam Randell yesterday. Fantastic vision, executed nearly every pass, closed down well. Would very much like him for the season.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

ferrarilover wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 23:00 My thoughts are that Jamie Reid didn't play in this match, so his opportunities to influence opinions about his ability were limited, rendering any discussion about him moot.
Matt.
:~D Could do with you in the government saying what you think and sticking to it! ;-)
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree with forevertufc on the subject of Reid, he was not my cup of tea but that doesnt alter the fact he made the right choice to leave in the summer, he could have stayed with us ,to many a local hero and continued popping in the goals but he chose the bigger monthly pay check and the chance to see if he had what it takes to play at a higher level, Mansfield's manager is on borrowed time due to them not being able to buy a win . I see no reason to trash a player who has left us and made no negative comments about his time with us, not like that idiot Gerring.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

forevertufc wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 20:11 ....however I think it's fair say Danny Wright has well and truly pout those concerns to bed now, nothing wrong with his fitness, speed and his composure in front of goal is frightening, given a clear cut chance you'd fancy Wright to score 'feed the Wright and he will score' ;-)
Yeah, I didn't say much at the time was I wasn't certain if signing a 36 year old guy to lead the line was going to be the best move, but - he's got a wealth of experience at this level and GJ obviously trusts him.

More important to us - and this is something the BT commentators mentioned more than once - is the balance that this squad has. We have great experience like Wright and Moxey but more importantly, we have the craft and nous of people like Whitfield, Randell, CLE, Hall etc. They key was always to put a team around Wright to get him the ball in the right (hah) places.

I will say that Wright bursting away from the defence for the first goal was a surprise, though.

edit: also, on Reid - I will never begrudge a guy who has done well for us the chance to play at a higher level (and presumably earn quite a bit more money). Reid was integral to our rise from the depths of the NLS, so when he left I was happy to wish him luck. I don't know what's happening at Mansfield (has he even played?) but will always hope to see him do well because of the service he gave us.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Jamie Reid did play yesterday for Mansfield but failed to score.
He may get some more game time now Coughlan has been sacked.
I have to say a number of his goals at Plainmoor in the last 3 years were some of the best I have ever seen in a United shirt.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

After our brilliant performance last night I looked up the stats and since 1927 we have won 5-0 on 16 occasions.

For any stato fans out there when did we last win 5-0 AWAY from Home in a League Match?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Try this site, its fascinating !!

https://www.torquayfanstats.com