FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round v Sholing

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I was close to the dugout for the second half and it was inspiring to hear the way Gary Johnson was urging the players on. Keep it simple, hit the channels, get your crosses in, just a few of the directions from him. The players were listening and Downes was making sure the shape of the side was organised. I was really impressed but that's not a surprise to me as I bought into his appointment from day one. Rare credit to Clarke Osborne from me for backing the manager. Still don't trust his intentions but happy with things for now.

A really enjoyable experience being able to see a professional manager at such close quarters and a great memory amongst all the chaos in the world at the moment.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Thanks for your updates Soton Gull ..... even from a soggy smartphone. Yes - a bright moment going into the First Round draw proper amidst the doom, gloom and chaos across the world. My 'take' on yesterday's game was that it was a thoroughly professional effort and full marks to Gary Johnson for not taking Sholing lightly by naming a strong side. Sholing would have 'raised their game' and the pitch and the dreadful weather worked in their favour. I was surprised that Asa Hall started as I thought he might have been 'rested' but he obviously had a great game. I think we expected Shaun MacDonald would play because Covolan seems to be playing with a niggly back injury at present. But full marks to Shaun on a nightmare day for goalkeepers. He hasn't played in a competitive game since the pres-season friendlies but according to the Radio Devon commentators, his handling in wet and windy conditions was impeccable, not to mention a couple of decent saves. Well done Shaun!

As well as the result, it was good to see Josh Umerah back in action and great to see Armani Little back on the field. That was an unexpected surprise. Also, Fraser Kerr on the Bench so he must be close to match fitness. Lots of plusses from yesterday. No sign of Andy Nelson though. He must have really injured himself badly walking off the pitch after being substituted in that pre-season friendly ........
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Could this be the year of a decent cup run??
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes probably with our luck we'll get Man Utd away in the 3rd round with no crowd/ gate receipts.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I just had to get " er indoors" to read Southampton Gull's latest post. SG giving praise to Clarke Osborne? Must be some of the rain affected his brain. Just remember that uncle Clarke promised us promotion back to the football league within 5 years. I know it's very early days but we proudly sit second in the league, Stockport ahead only on goal difference, with all the sports media saying that we look a good side. We look to be serious contenders for promotion this season, barring another injury crisis. This is Osborne's 4th year in charge.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: ↑26 Oct 2020, 12:52 I just had to get " er indoors" to read Southampton Gull's latest post. SG giving praise to Clarke Osborne? Must be some of the rain affected his brain. Just remember that uncle Clarke promised us promotion back to the football league within 5 years. I know it's very early days but we proudly sit second in the league, Stockport ahead only on goal difference, with all the sports media saying that we look a good side. We look to be serious contenders for promotion this season, barring another injury crisis. This is Osborne's 4th year in charge.
Well done to Uncle Clarke. :clap:
He also "promised" to build new stadiums for other sports clubs - and that "promise" has yet to been delivered....... :} :whistle:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

SuperNickyWroe. It's like taking candy from a baby. I knew you would respond to my post, hell I even knew what you would write whilst I was writing my post. I will not comment on the things you say in this post as I've voiced my opinion many times on this forum. 😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest