National League | Torquay United v Stockport County | 03/10/20 3pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Johnson Reflects On Opening Day Win: https://torquayunited.com/johnson-refle ... g-day-win/

Defended like trojans he said (that'll be the shield).

At the end, attacked like trojans too (that'll be the sword).

Trojan's matchday view: A proper shield and sword performance. :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 06:01 Johnson Reflects On Opening Day Win: https://torquayunited.com/johnson-refle ... g-day-win/

You're pots for rags me ol' pal. :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Very little mention of the referee. I thought he was excellent, let the game flow and was not card happy. He and the linesmen should be congratulated on their performance.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

There are two ways to win a match against your opposition ;

1) To outplay them or

2) To plunder them

Outcome the same = 3 points

What do points make?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes he was good , didn't notice him much, always a good sign and wasn't influenced by Stockports antics not the worst I've seen but a bit surprised at them.
Great to win with such a makeshift team, certainly not the team Johnson would have had in mind in the summer.
Hope Hall is fit to partner Randell in midfield. Expected more from the front two ,admittedly they didn't get much support or service but Britton showed what a bit of directness, determination and belief could do.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Trojan 67 wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 06:01 Johnson Reflects On Opening Day Win: https://torquayunited.com/johnson-refle ... g-day-win/

I thought he meant like Torre Trojans :whistle:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

grockle wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 14:03 I thought he meant like Torre Trojans :whistle:
:rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Surprised the keeper didn't keep that out even after the deflection. Thank God he didn't.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Is there a reason why the highlights were from a recording made on the BB side rather than the streamed service from the PS side? It seemed to be a better location for the camera too.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

The elbow from Umerah was probably accidental, but could have easily been a booking on another day. Even more worrying is that fact that he went in with his foot when their player went down, in what looks like a deliberate kick. Let's hope that no-one at the NL is going to look at that too closely, I'm not sure what action can be taken retrospectively this season but this might warrant some.

Given that Johnson punished Nelson for similar shennanigans I can't imagine that he would be too pleased to see Umerah kick out.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by Brewers boy »

This was put up on You tube by Stockport. It's their own recording.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

For the first time in years I was able to watch a Torquay game live (would've been there in April except for...*gestures around* all this). Really pleased to have this to keep me connected to my club, and I would fervently hope that this is something all NL sides think about continuing once crowds are allowed back. Production values were a lot better than I expected, too (possibly unfair, but as a club we've not always been that great at this modern stuff!) and I had no problem with the stream. It buffered for maybe half a second on a couple of occasions, but my wiffe was watching Netflix in the other room, so that could've been on our end.

Anyway - the game. Stockport were the better side for 80 minutes, and probably should have scored at least twice. Covolan kept us in the game, although the defence also played their part. Certainly encouraging that we kept a clean sheet, even if it was a bit harem-scarem at times. Bodes well, anyway. I think I - like many of us - was mystified as to why there hadn't been any subs earlier in the half, but when they did arrive, they changed the game. Not only the 3 who came on, who were great (although Britton missed a super-easy header that I'm glad didn't come back to haunt us) but the change allowed Nemane to play on the wing where he seems more effective; at times in the middle he showed a good turn of pace to get around his man, but kept trying the most difficult pass, losing the ball. On the wing I suppose he really only has one ball he can choose, and that's where our goal came from.

You'd have to assume that all three of the subs will be in line to start tomorrow (fitness permitting, of course) because in those last ten minutes we suddenly looked a decent side. Eastleigh had a really good result on Saturday, but I think we can go there and get a result; espeically since I don't believe the home advantage will be such a big thing this season.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

MellowYellow wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 13:46 There are two ways to win a match against your opposition ;

1) To outplay them or

2) To plunder them

Outcome the same = 3 points

What do points make?
Plunder? ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com