Macclesfield Town have been wound up - owe more than £500,000.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Macclesfield Town have been wound up - owe more than £500,000.

Post by MellowYellow »

Macclesfield face extinction after being wound up with debts of over £500,000

Nearly £190,000 is owed to HMRC who brought the order

Macclesfield were relegated to the National League last season

Click link for more info:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -of-500000
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Now, do Ebbsfleet get a reprieve? If they do will the fixture list have to rewritten or will they just be pencilled in over Macclesfield's name?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Macclesfield wound up with debts of £500,000, meanwhile Gareth Bale's proposed transfer is delayed by his reluctance to take a cut in his £600,000 per week wages....
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

A shame. I remember the Norway Gulls went to an away match at Macclesfield and in one of the pubs we met a group of Norwegian Macclesfield supporters. Believe the match ended 2-2.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Jerry wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 19:30 Macclesfield wound up with debts of £500,000, meanwhile Gareth Bale's proposed transfer is delayed by his reluctance to take a cut in his £600,000 per week wages....
I take your point - but there is always more than meets the eye when the judiciary will not give a stay of execution. There's a long running complex history behind all of Macclesfield's woes. If you have time you can read most of It in the linked article below:

https://twohundredpercent.net/alkadhis- ... ield-town/
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

MellowYellow wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 22:33 I take your point - but there is always more than meets the eye when the judiciary will not give a stay of execution. There's a long running complex history behind all of Macclesfield's woes. If you have time you can read most of It in the linked article below: https://twohundredpercent.net/alkadhis- ... ield-town/
This is indeed a sorry and complex history of poor Macclesfield's sorry woes. I am sorry to hear of the demise of the club, any club in fact, because we have had some good games against them. I think we usually beat them, but I might be remembering with rose-tinted glasses! I fear that there will be other clubs 'hitting the buffers', especially if fans are not able to return to matches in October. It all boils down to too much money sloshing around in the Premier League and this is ruining 'grass-roots' football in Div 1 and 2 and the lower leagues.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes they beat us in their first ever game in the FL 2-1 (Andy Gurney) Remember a few 3-3's with them, think we were 3-0 up in 15 minutes in one of them. Also remember a 4-0 win in Leroy's promotion season when Kevin Hill scored a magnificent perfectly executed bicycle kick.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

desperado wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 20:10 Yes they beat us in their first ever game in the FL 2-1 (Andy Gurney) Remember a few 3-3's with them, think we were 3-0 up in 15 minutes in one of them. Also remember a 4-0 win in Leroy's promotion season when Kevin Hill scored a magnificent perfectly executed bicycle kick.
I have great memories of going Macclesfield, I was at that 2-1 fixture and was indeed at that 3-3 we threw away. Real shame, a proper friendly club, just however surrounded by Manchester limited its supporter base. It’s just the start of things to come
Lucy
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 16:46 Now, do Ebbsfleet get a reprieve? If they do will the fixture list have to rewritten or will they just be pencilled in over Macclesfield's name?
Would prefer AFC Fylde.... :whistle:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

I have had many enjoyable trips up there. Cracking pubs near the station too. I was there too when we were there first league visitors. Sad for there loyal fans too.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

The first of many?

Without some clever budgeting, or novel income ideas there must be plenty of clubs staring down the barrel. This year I'll buy a couple of shirts at full price as a token to put a little cash into the club.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Jerry wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 19:30 Macclesfield wound up with debts of £500,000, meanwhile Gareth Bale's proposed transfer is delayed by his reluctance to take a cut in his £600,000 per week wages....
Well yeah, but that's a completely different thing.

If Bale has signed a contract for that much money and they're trying to move him out, he is under absolutely no obligation to say "yeah, ok I'll take less money to go away". If any of us were offered a job that paid half as much as what we're getting now, we'd probably not do it unless there is a compelling reason to do so. The scale of the money involved doesn't matter too much.

Definitely a case to be made about the big football clubs not giving a toss about the little ones - the so-called "solidarity payments" are a joke - but that's something entirely different to a guy who's won 4 Champions Leagues (scoring in two finals) expecting his employers to hold up their end of the bargain.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

happytorq wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 21:02 Well yeah, but that's a completely different thing.

If Bale has signed a contract for that much money and they're trying to move him out, he is under absolutely no obligation to say "yeah, ok I'll take less money to go away". If any of us were offered a job that paid half as much as what we're getting now, we'd probably not do it unless there is a compelling reason to do so. The scale of the money involved doesn't matter too much.

Definitely a case to be made about the big football clubs not giving a toss about the little ones - the so-called "solidarity payments" are a joke - but that's something entirely different to a guy who's won 4 Champions Leagues (scoring in two finals) expecting his employers to hold up their end of the bargain.
Didn't suggest he should, was just using the figures as a way to point out the huge disparity in finances at the two ends of the pro game.