Alan Welsh RIP

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Alan Welsh RIP

Post by budegull1954 »

Sad news breaking on Millwall FC's website today. Condolences to Alan's family:

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2020/ ... lan-welsh/
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Alan was one of my heroes in the sixties,
extremely skilful, great dribbler and a ferocious shot. Remember his winner for us at Home Park from Robins through ball in front of 20,000. RIP Alan , thanks for the wonderful memories.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I was a Reading supporter in those days and remember being jealous and fearful of United and the Cave/Stubbs/Welsh strike force. Yes, RIP.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Very sad to learn that Alan Welsh had died. For those of us on here with grey hair, or none, and weak bladders, Alan Welsh was a great favourite in those heady days of Frank O'Farrell's teams in the sixties as we crammed into the old Cow Shed and made the place rock. Alan was a very good player and a perfect foil for Stubbsy. RIP and thanks for the memories, Alan.

I was saddened that the Herald Express thought it fit to only include a couple of sentences at the end of the Fans' Zone column. Alan Welsh deserved better than that. But I was pleased to see that the freebie Torbay Weekly included a much more fitting tribute to one of our Plainmoor greats. Well done, Torbay Weekly.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

was saddened that the Herald Express thought it fit to only include a couple of sentences at the end of the Fans' zone column.

The problem.here is the HE have lost its 'encyclopedic' source in Dave Thomas to the Torbay weekly, GUY HENDERSON & RICHARD HUGHES are just not up to the job ( in all fairness Hughes does cover a lot more than TUFC for the paper & other media outlets)
Yes I agree youd've thought being a torbay news outlet Torquay United news would be a boon for the paper but it seems not these days.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Nothing on the OS so far either, although there was a Twitter message recently. How come Millwall FC managed to produce a great piece on Alan yet he only played a few games for the club? Come on TUFC you can do better than that for one of the true club legends,
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Here's a piece on Alan Welsh focusing on his time at Plainmoor.

http://southwestfootball.blogspot.com/2 ... -2020.html
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Welsh and Stubbs - what a combination. Those were the days.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 22:58 Very sad to learn that Alan Welsh had died. For those of us on here with grey hair, or none, and weak bladders, Alan Welsh was a great favourite in those heady days of Frank O'Farrell's teams in the sixties .......
Yes I was very saddened to hear of the death of Alan Welsh tomo and he holds some very special memories for me. On Saturday 5 October 1968 I was standing on the terraces at Home Park at the Barne Park end to witness Alan Welsh being put through by Robin Stubbs to slip home the winning goal against Argyle. Just about exactly a year later Saturday 11 October 1969 I turned out at Plainmoor for my first Western League game and Alan was in the same team. He was even good enough to get on the end of a dodgy cross from me towards the end to head the second goal in a 2-0 win against the eventual champions of the season Glastonbury. Rewinding a couple of months in August I had got a Friday night call from Don Mills to travel to Bridport as substitute. As a very keen teenage supporter I was nervous enough as I waited for the team coach outside of Freddie Hawkens Motors at the end of The Avenue in Newton Abbot. Nervously climbing the steps of the coach my legs nearly gave way as I glanced to my right and there sitting in the front seat together were two of my all time heroes Alan Welsh and Tony Scott. A 2-2 draw ensued with Alan welsh scoring both goals. He and Allan Young who also strangely often found himself in the reserves were both excellent at encouraging and assisting the younger players. I think that season Alan Welsh was voted Player of the Year and I also think he was top scorer in both the first team and the reserves, so if that memory is correct it is somewhat unique. About 3 years later I met him again when I was playing for Centrax (where I worked at the time) in the South Devon League Premier and Alan Welsh took our training sessions. Again far too young and like the death of Ian Twitchin it certainly brings home to us older buggers our own mortality. RIP Mr Welsh and I even forgave you for joining Argyle......