2020-21 Season Start

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Here is a snippet from the new guidelines proposed by the FA, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport [DCMS], the Sports Grounds Safety Authority [SGSA] for non league clubs below Championship level

A two-stage return will see restricted numbers of fans at men's games below National League North and South level.

The first stage, which limits numbers to less than 15% of ground capacity, is from 22 August to 30 August.

Stage Two rises to 30% of ground capacity and begins on 31 August.

On the assumption that the National League are not treated any worse we can expect a 2,000 gate capacity to begin the season. This are guidelines only so can be amended as the season goes on. If could well be by October and the start of our season that numbers are limited to 50% capacity which would allow gates higher than last seasons average attendance.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Just read an article that says the National League will only start when fans are allowed back into stadia (I assume any number of fans so will probably be a percentage of the maximum). This is ‘pencilled in’ for 3rd October as we all know, but I guess that will change if the pandemic flares up again??. One game a week will be live on BT Sport.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

See we are 12th favourites at 20/1 with Betway for the title.
Notts County 9/2 favourites followed by Stockport, Yeovil, Hartlepool and rather surprisingly Dagenham unless they have made some big signings ? Struggled last season as did Wrexham and Chesterfield who are next on the list just because they are big clubs presumably. Don't suppose many thought Harrogate would go up at the start of last season. There's bound to be another small,
unfancied club up there this time as well.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

desperado wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 19:26 See we are 12th favourites at 20/1 with Betway for the title.
Notts County 9/2 favourites followed by Stockport, Yeovil, Hartlepool and rather surprisingly Dagenham unless they have made some big signings ? Struggled last season as did Wrexham and Chesterfield who are next on the list just because they are big clubs presumably. Don't suppose many thought Harrogate would go up at the start of last season. There's bound to be another small,
unfancied club up there this time as well.
' Small unfancied club ' !
Well that's us isn't it ? Little old Torquay !! The annoying little brat of a sibling who just won't leave you alone & go away.
That's what we need to be, annoying little shits who just won't go away until they get exactly what they want.
20/1 ? That's worth a punt if anyone's money surely.
Ill be sticking a score on , not too sure about champions but playoffs is well within our reach.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

desperado wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 19:26 rather surprisingly Dagenham unless they have made some big signings ?
They signed Paul McCallum from Solihull which must have cost a few bob. They've got some wealthy American backers I think
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

desperado wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 19:26 See we are 12th favourites at 20/1 with Betway for the title.
Notts County 9/2 favourites followed by Stockport, Yeovil, Hartlepool and rather surprisingly Dagenham unless they have made some big signings ? Struggled last season as did Wrexham and Chesterfield who are next on the list just because they are big clubs presumably. Don't suppose many thought Harrogate would go up at the start of last season. There's bound to be another small, unfancied club up there this time as well.
....... and who would have put any money on Barrow being promoted as champions?? Is anyone brave enough to predict what will happen next season? Certainly not me !! I think it is going to be a strange season with other clubs running into financial difficulties besides Dover. It has been very quiet about National League sides so far. I think Notts Co, Stockport and Yeovil will be front runners and Wrexham should be with the gates they attract. Not sure about Hartlepool and Chesterfield. I think Chesterfield are still struggling financially. If there is to be a small, unfancied club it could be Bromley ..... At the other end, i am concerned about Weymouth. They have lost their manager who led them back into the National League and I don't think a replacement has been found yet. Not a good start for a newly promoted club .......

I am actually quietly confident that we will do well as long as we can steer clear of injuries and our two new strikers form a good partnership. We have a settled squad with the addition of more experience in defence. This could well be a good season for us ...... let's hope so. :scarf:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 23:04This could well be a good season for us ...... let's hope so. :scarf:
I always think it is going to be a good season for us. I have rarely been proved right in 58 years! ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 12:16 I always think it is going to be a good season for us. I have rarely been proved right in 58 years! ;-)
Ha! - yes Stefano. But you must know that to qualify as a true fan of TUFC you have to be an eternal optimist. Let's hope this coming season, whatever it brings, will be one of rare seasons when you are proved right ....... ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

We’re going up as champions.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Just watched Danny Wright's 25 goals for Cheltenham in 15/16 all seemed to be from 2- 10 yards out but
looks good in the air, and seems to be in the right place at the Wright (😄) time.
Looks awkward to play against and dispossess . Hopefully links well with Nelson, and with the number of chances we create should score a few, be happy with 15
from each of them ! Looks like he could be our penalty taker too, not the sort of penalty I like but he seems to have a good success rate with his style. Not the type of striker we have had for a while, sort of a 'John Sims' if anybody remembers him !
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

desperado I just watched his goals and what came across to me is that he is a commanding presence in the 6 yard box something we have lacked for a very long time.
Jamie was great but scored one header at Dover. Danny will be so different in every way. I will miss Jamies spectacular goals from outside the penalty area.
Looking at the 5 new clubs in the League, Altrincham and Kings Lynn Town, Weymouth and Wealdstone plus Macclesfield relegated from League 2 I think it will be an interesting season if Covid 19 does not interfere.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/ga ... gull-63431

Hope that link works...interview with GJ