Torquay United v Ebbsfleet United 25/1/20

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Nick Potkins wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 17:41 Interesting comments on the incident before half time, it was a dive and Dave Thomas is in my view wrong. Look at their players reaction, he indicates to one of his own team he was not touched and this is confirmed in the Ebbsfleet match report, confirming a correct decision.

However, like others have mentioned we were very poor, I don't believe our game plan was correct - but in Gary I Trust. Nice fancy football will not get us out of this league, our smaller players are being bullied all over the field, this is a man's league, like it or not. A big target man, a keeper who can command his area and central defenders to do the donkey work.
This is one thing I have been saying for some time that we need a new keeper an old head, someone around 29 early 30's
who's been there and done it, who commands his box, comes out for crosses, cuts his angles down (not stay flat on his goal line and hopes the ball will go away by its self) and shouts all the time but never negative to his defenders, Goal keepers are all being trained the same way across the country buy people out off training camps who have never been a goal keeper but have read about it. We had better goal keepers when thay watched and learnt there skill from top keepers who came down from higher levels, and nowadays as a keeper it's easy to win a free kick if you go up for a cross because if your touched the ref awards it to you, I can remember going up for a corner and catching the ball and then being shoved in to the net and the goal stood. Happy days but I learnt from that go up with a knee out.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

If you went up with a knee out today, you would probably concede a penalty! :}
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Don't forget Eric Webber, tomogull.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

where is this so called new striker..... was supposed to be announced on Friday!! we need one more than ever, i think that was proven on Saturday against bottom of the league... no fire power
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Aggrey - I just can't agree with that. Many of our Players can score goals - maybe it's not happening recently BUT it's just up to the Manager to train and motivate the squad and send them out confident in a format that works . . . .

A new striker is always good but it doesn't compensate for the team NOT being on song.

Come on GJ - let's see your motivational/personal skills at work. Soon. Please. ATB
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

aggrey_25 wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 11:45 where is this so called new striker..... was supposed to be announced on Friday!! we need one more than ever, i think that was proven on Saturday against bottom of the league... no fire power
Northampton
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 14:14 Northampton
There is no confirmation of this on Northampton's OS - they have only signed Mark Marshall from Gillingham.
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

budegull1954 wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 15:38 There is no confirmation of this on Northampton's OS - they have only signed Mark Marshall from Gillingham.
We’re in talks with Truro over Tyler Harvey
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 10:55 Don't forget Eric Webber, tomogull.
Even I was too young to appreciate 'tactics' in Eric Webber's time, Wivel. I just enjoyed the football. But the tactics must have worked when we shut out the great John Charles in that unbelievable 4 - 0 F.A. Cup victory over Leeds. :scarf: (black and white scarves back then! ...... and I was tomomagpie)
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Northampton have announced the signing of the lad from west brom.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by aggrey_25 »

Hahahaha what a shambles we are... we let players go and over promise on a forward coming in which doesn’t materialise into anything....

GJ really screwed up here!! Another Truro player isn’t the answer either
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by aggrey_25 »

also THarvey left Bath for a full time job... really struggling if we are going for him.

What on earth does GJ brother do? These are desperate times!!
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Reidy28 wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 15:53 We’re in talks with Truro over Tyler Harvey
He left bath to get a full time job, that is why he went back to Truro. Doubt he’ll sign for us. If that’s the case it shows desperation.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I can understand why Morton would choose to sign for Northampton, not least, better class of football, certainly better training set up, and probably, no definitely more money. I think we all have aspirations to sign good quality players and then we have to have a reality check and remember where we are and what budget we have. Then realise that loan players are acquired from above and permanent signings from below, that is the hard reality of life for us as a football club.