Torquay United v Ebbsfleet United 25/1/20

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Well as everyone has said awful game and awful formation choice from GJ, in his press interview he says it's the players, why could he not be honest and say he made a mistake on formation, the only one good thing and THAY STILL NEED TO WORK ON FOR THE GOAL KEEPERS IS CROSSES AND CORNERS IN TO THE BOX but that today was a start with some crosses, well done and keep that up.
MBoro2Torquay2k18
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kalala

Post by MBoro2Torquay2k18 »

I would actually go as far as saying that this spectacle was
Quite probably the worst game of football that i have ever seen in my life
(for as long as i can remember)
Towards the end
i started to physically count their away supporters @60
or were they nearer 55 or maybe 58 or 53
that's how bad this game was
Neither team could string more than a few passes together
The touch and control from both teams was dreadful
Why oh why does Johnson continue to play with the one striker up front STILL??
What do the Torquay management team do tactically all week long
Umm i know lets hump cloud high balls aimlessly up to Reid
against their 6ft 2in centre backs
This against a very poor team that normally let in goals for fun
Have Torquay improved NO
Also the lack of Seagulls became rather worrying :)
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Johnson, in his recent press interview, intimated that we fans have little concept of the art of formation. Well MR J, I have to say that you taught me nothing about how it should be dome today !!
We insisted on hoofing the ball forward towards Reid, who regularly shows he is not a good header of a ball nor is he very effective in challenging for a headed ball, whilst he was up against a very tall,well built centre back with a strong sidekick. But to make the most of that formation he flanked Reid with a short Ben Whitfield and a disinterested (certainly in the second half) Kalala. Yet didn't feel it necessary to change that formation, that was working so well :}, until the last 10 minutes of the game when he had a light bulb moment to bring on our tall striker to try to get his head on something - Lewington…….only 35 minutes too late.

The above is all in my humble opinion and acknowledges that I do not really understand the dark art of formations !!
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Well that was fun, wasn't it. Great to see that we have most of our injured players back and we have started to pick up points. Thats 4 points out of 6, the teams above us must be scared as we march towards the play offs and promotion. I look forward to the play off final at Wembley in may when Gary Johnson leads the team out on to the Wembley turf and into the football league.
IN GARY JOHNSON WE TRUST !!!!!!!!!!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

One defeat in the last five league games, unbeaten in three......
No, that was truly awful today. The whole afternoon was a miserable experience, the weather, the match , the performance, the result ,the horrible Ebbsfleet team, the referee - he was up there with Sam Allison as the worst I have seen for many a season. The worst defence in the league , 60 goals conceded, and we can't even trouble them, I can only recall their goalkeeper having one save to make? - unforgivable. Gary saying our two headed chances fell to not our best headers , well only Hall is a threat with his head ,
People still muttering about play offs are deluding themselves, we need to concentrate on staying in this league on that performance
Howdidigethere
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Howdidigethere »

The good news is that should these quality tactics and formations keep us up, we’ll get to enjoy them again next year!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Can only repeat that was a dire game

Ebbsfleet were extremely physical and we got sucked into trying to battle against them and found ourselves mentally and physically beaten

Ref never got a grip of the game which didn't help

Only positive was Warren, a rock at the back, really showed how poor Cundy is in comparison
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I am still muttering about the play offs. Concentrating on not being relegated that's a very very very negative proposition. We have 43 points and it's still January! -- and if you really are worrying about it or wishing to worry about it as a side swipe at management- only three will go down !
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Dazza wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 21:20 I am still muttering about the play offs. Concentrating on not being relegated that's a very very very negative proposition. We have 43 points and it's still January! -- and if you really are worrying about it or wishing to worry about it as a side swipe at management- only three will go down !
Only 42 points I'm afraid.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Another poor performance. Again maybe 10 mins before halftime we looked half decent without actually creating anything. Neame is not a footballer, and definitely not a CM. Why Johnson persists with him is a disgrace. Ebbsfleet had a plan and stuck to it, helped by the ref but we should be used to this by now and have a way of breaking teams down. Another shocker from Hall and his crappy Hollywood pass attempts. Then Johnson moans that the fans are giving him abuse. He’s quick enough to celebrate with the fans after a win, he should be able to take the flak when things are clearly going wrong.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I couldn't agree more with how disappointing the performance was yesterday but tbh our results have been abysmal against the bottom teams this season that I'm quite happy to have gained a point instead of shipping a goal & losing again.
This team of ours is in transition & will probably have a completely different look next season, so let's see this season out in relative comfort with no more major mishaps.
Gary knows it & any supporter with an ounce of brain cells knows it too, this team is not good enough to achieve promotion this year & if it did we'd be struggling massively next year without major changes on the playing front.
We have finally got some stability, we're no longer a basket case club, lets all take a moment & relax & calm down & ready ourselves for a serious go next year , it ain't gonna happen this year I can tell you that much for sure.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Agreed Teigngull, it isn't going to happen this season, no chance. We are far too lightweight upfront and need a couple of quality additions in that area. The defence is still very shaky although Warren is a calming influence. I would like to see him paired alongside Cameron next week.
Connor for me isn't looking like the same player recently which is a worry.
Next week will be difficult but I think we will get the wins we need to see a lower mid table finish and build for next season.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

We would have lost this a few weeks ago, Warren has certainly made a difference but why cagniari feels the need to charge to the edge of the 18 yard box only to completely miss the ball is beyond.
What coaching goes on at seale hayne these days?
I honestly thought we would get caught by a late sucker punch with those 2 late corners.
As for the rest, poorly set up, one man up front at home to the 2nd weakest team in the league, really?
Jamie Reid was completely outnumbered and outmuscled.
Nemane was largely anonymous, he seems to have taken over Keatings mantle of running around enthusiastically with no end product.
Thought the rest were pretty poor, but largely unused, due to the fact that our plan a b c and d seems to be a high hopeful punt to jamie reid who ploughed a lonely furrow all afternoon.
Jared lewington is always brought on too late and seems to get into the wrong areas, and for me appears to be trying too hard, maybe a full 90 against tavistock will settle him down.
So we go again on Wednesday and our only real chance of gaining anything third season.
These 8 points to safety can't come soon enough..
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

With Warren you have a been there and done it player, (an old head) so isn't it time for a few more players like him, and a GOALKEEPER, time to ship out some of the drift wood players who aren't good enough, Or is GJ afraid off older heads around thay May answer him back.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

Sounded like a poor performance yesterday, but I would take us playing poorly and drawing 0-0 rather than playing brilliantly and losing 1-0.

I find it astonishing that people keep looking down the table. We are 8 points above the final relegation place, and only 5 points behind the playoffs. In my opinion, we will finish around where we are. I think we all would have taken that at the start of the year. We should also achieve 50 points before the 40th game.

I fully trust GJ to take the club forward.