Johnson out

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Howdidigethere wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 18:17 The loyalty to GJ is truly outstanding. Most of the content backing it up (along with the nostalgia) is totally irrelevant but still admirably supportive.
I assume the 'nostalgia' bit was aimed at me as I seem to have been the only one to introduce any on this thread in recent postings.

I know people find it offensive these days for anybody to suggest that anything happened before they were born and I know they think that if it did it is irrelevant. That is of course why the human race constantly repeats the same mistakes because as a race it stubbornly refuses to take cognizance from the lessons of history.

You state that 'nostalgia' is irrelevant in backing up the manager. You may be right. Nowhere in my posts did I say anything backing up the manager.

I introduced some 'nostalgia' into my argument to illustrate the point that there are so many twats who think they know better than the professionals these days, and suggested what may be a causal link leading to their fantasy.

That was all there was to it and no mention was made by me of the manager or his ability.

If the cap fits wear it, if it doesn't ignore it (or scroll past as SB would recommend)! ;-)
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

stefano wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 18:21 Good point well made. Pragmatic to the end Sir!

I tried to make the same point but I am not as eloquent and haven't got the advantage of my name being printed in red ;-)

I suspect that Louis is quite happy to let this silly thread continue - when results were going well, nobody was posting on this forum!
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

The problem most Gary Johnson supporters have is because his CV is amoungst the best there is. I remember well the day he became manager of TUFC. I said to my Grandson that they should hand the title over to the club now and not waste time in playing meaningless games. 20 or so games later, Torquay were crowned champions. Gary Johnson has not become a bad manager overnight, he is still one of the best around. If you look closely at his CV you will see he is brilliant at turning struggling teams around, gaining many promotions and reaching the play offs on numerous occasions. What his CV also shows is that at clubs where he has had success and then the team begin to struggle, he has very little success in reviving the teams fortunes on the pitch and he has paid the ultimate price in being sacked.
A very similar pattern has evolved this season at Torquay. On Saturday the player count rose to 30 this season. yes you can to some degree point to the horrific injury list over the last few months but Johnson has brought in numerous players as cover, most of whom have shown they are not up to national league level. His brother, Peter is supposed to be head scout and hasnt brought in anyone good enough at this level. At times the team on the pitch seem disorganised and his post match interviews seemed to have turned into an embarresment with johnson blaming the referee, the linesman,time wasting by our opponents and even the ballboys.
Gary Johnson will go down in the clubs history books as one of its greatest ever managers and in my opinion, rightly so. Gary Johnson has done his bit and its now time for a new manager. 1 win, a 0-0 draw and 10 defeats is simply not good enough and unfortunatly Gary Johnson has to take the blame.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

budegull1954 wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 19:25

I suspect that Louis is quite happy to let this silly thread continue - when results were going well, nobody was posting on this forum!
We always make decisions together with a majority vote of the admins deciding what happens. As a group we all prefer to let the forum run itself, for probably 99% of the time it does that just fine needing no interference from us. We all have our own views and are all capable of expressing them just like any other member.

As for this thread I also find it tiresome and disrespectful to the manager BUT as Scott said very well "Freedom of speech". I learned a long time ago that banning people and removing posts/deleting threads is counter productive. Thick skins are needed from time to time, nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

dawlishmatt wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 20:16 The problem most Gary Johnson supporters have is because his CV is amoungst the best there is. I remember well the day he became manager of TUFC. I said to my Grandson that they should hand the title over to the club now and not waste time in playing meaningless games. 20 or so games later, Torquay were crowned champions. Gary Johnson has not become a bad manager overnight, he is still one of the best around. If you look closely at his CV you will see he is brilliant at turning struggling teams around, gaining many promotions and reaching the play offs on numerous occasions. What his CV also shows is that at clubs where he has had success and then the team begin to struggle, he has very little success in reviving the teams fortunes on the pitch and he has paid the ultimate price in being sacked.
A very similar pattern has evolved this season at Torquay. On Saturday the player count rose to 30 this season. yes you can to some degree point to the horrific injury list over the last few months but Johnson has brought in numerous players as cover, most of whom have shown they are not up to national league level. His brother, Peter is supposed to be head scout and hasnt brought in anyone good enough at this level. At times the team on the pitch seem disorganised and his post match interviews seemed to have turned into an embarresment with johnson blaming the referee, the linesman,time wasting by our opponents and even the ballboys.
Gary Johnson will go down in the clubs history books as one of its greatest ever managers and in my opinion, rightly so. Gary Johnson has done his bit and its now time for a new manager. 1 win, a 0-0 draw and 10 defeats is simply not good enough and unfortunatly Gary Johnson has to take the blame.
Perhaps he hasn't been as well backed as everyone seems to think? Perhaps low cost loans are all he can afford within his budget, who knows? To ignore the horrendous injury list and suggest he's failing is way wide of the mark in my opinion. Any reasonable fan should realise this and be happy to give him whatever time he needs to improve our bad run of results. Nobody knows his reasons for his tactics/selection other than those that need to, would I trust him or trust your view? That's easy enough, don't give up your day job.

Players have started coming back from long lay-offs, form takes time. If we lost Reid then his job gets harder but if we get a decent fee do you think Uncle Clarke will invest it in the budget or pocket it to reduce his outlay, wouldn't blame him if he did but you can see where I'm going with this I hope.I'm not and never will be a fan of Osborne, I simply don't trust him with our long term future.I base that on his track record and I don't need anyone to agree with me it's simply my gut feeling and they have always served me well. You see things differently, that's fine but to me you're deluded, respectfully, you're deluded ;-)

I'm also totally in agreement with Plainmoor78 and Stefano, I also blame Sky for breeding a new generation of fans who never seem able to accept anything but instant success. Ridiculous!!
Dave

dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull, Although it hurts like hell to say it, thats the best post of yours ive seen. I think that what you say concerning uncle Clarke may be true. Injured players still have to be paid, insurance only covers a small portion of a players wages and at one point i believe we had 26 players on the books. that surely must have hampered the managers ability to sign quality players at this level. that may be a factor into why most loan players he signed were crap.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Janneh, CLE, Edwards, Kalala, Andrews, Vincent???
Sure there are a number of others that didn't work BUT what manager in his position recently would have signed gems every time? Once he shuffles the pack and adds a few players I have every faith we'll recover, I literally have total faith in his abilities. Our recent list of managers has nobody of his ilk on there, he's the best we've had for a long long time.

And why would it hurt? Surely the internet doesn't get under your skin ;-)
Dave

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

dawlishmatt wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 20:16 Gary Johnson has done his bit and its now time for a new manager. 1 win, a 0-0 draw and 10 defeats is simply not good enough and unfortunatly Gary Johnson has to take the blame.
GJ has to take the blame for what? A promotion in his first season in charge and a team building mid-table second season. You can't be oblivious to what was happening to our club prior to his arrival and his major contribution to our current existence in the 5th tier of football. A continuation of instant success is not easy to achieve nor is getting back to the football league, Just ask any Barrow or Wrexham supporter that. Barrow having spent 51 years in the Football League have since spent the last 50 years trying to get back there. Then there's Wrexham a football league club for 80 years who were beating the likes of FC Porto in the European Cup Winners' Cup and yet have spent the last 12 years trying to regain football league status. Both clubs have been through numerous managers trying to find the magic formula - it's just not that easy! If anyone can achieve a quicker return to the football league it's Gary Johnson, but not with the call of 'sack him' in his second season due to a poor run of form primarily due to injuries.

Saying you lay blame on GJ suggests a Machiavellianism that is hard to support.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull. I believe that Jake Andrews, Asa Hall, Ben Wynter, Opi Edwards and liam Davis were all signed by our previous manager.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I never mentioned Hall or Wynter and he extended, so therefore they are relevant, the stays of Edwards and Andrews. One could also say that his impact on Jamie Reid was akin to signing a new player. Trust the manager, he's proved he knows how to get teams out of this division the right way.
Dave

Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

If the club sacked GJ (which would be ridiculous imo,) who would we realistically attract to replace him? Very likely it would be someone with little/no experience or the calibre of Owers.
Keep faith in GJ and give him another full season. He realises he has been too loyal to some of last year's squad. GJ is definitely our best chance of regaining football league status.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Of course stefano is right. He was there and so was I. I say nostalgia is good. Perhaps anyone under 65 should be banned from this site!! Bloody teenagers.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'd ban anyone from Dawlish, who hates Gary Johnson, and is as mad as box of frogs.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

brucie, How dare you insult frogs. i may be mad but please leave poor defenceless animals out of it or i will report you to the RSPCA !!!!!!!!!!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

brucie wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 15:07 I'd ban anyone from Dawlish, who hates Gary Johnson, and is as mad as box of frogs.
If Louis fancies making you an Admin......
Dave