Johnson out

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 09:52 I ain't sayin nothing 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
You rarely do ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

What is a 'gammon'?
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Southampton Gull wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 12:48 I dispelled your deluded opinion with one answer and like a child you throw your toys out of your pram. Calling me a gammon and a keyboard warrior just shows that you have the mental capacity of a gnat. Try arguing your corner instead of wasting your time with insults that an 11 year old would find beneath him.

A couple of injuries does NOT explain what this club has endured. You mentioned his use of Keating was wrong. How do you know? Passing your opinion off as fact is likely to be challenged on here because, well it's just your opinion and we've already established it has such little merit you try to flex your undoubtedly limited keyboard muscles to force it home................and fail miserably. A glass half empty type, say you, would state we're in a relegation battle. A glass half full type, say me, would say we're only a small upturn in form from challenging for a play=-off spot.

I still maintain though that your opinion we've only had a couple of injuries is deluded. Prove me wrong!!.
Not sure about me saying use of Keating was wrong....use of Keating yesterday was admission that 5 across the back was wrong formation as we reverted to 4 at the back. Keating offers pace and energy which the game needed. Keating isn't the answer but we see better out of Reid when he plays off players like Keating. One of the other issues hes had is playing defenders out of position leading to poor body shape when making tackles eg a right footed player trying to tackle with a right foot rather than left foot. Southampton Gull, what's your assessment of GJ and our current position? Just to be clear yes we've had more than a couple of injuries but GJ has managed the team/squad poorly. How many loan players have been successful? I'd love to hear your view when all I hear is that we've had injuries. Enter the debate or you deluded that it's all down to injuries over the last 3 months. Look at the team yesterday vs Halifax on 2nd Nov and assess the relative weaknesses of the 2 teams (we had Hall, CLE and Andrew's all available yesterday and you are telling me that the difference is availability of first choice midfield?) Genuinely enter the debate (please dont just tell me I'm wrong or deluded without backing up an answer).
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Southampton Gull wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 12:48 I dispelled your deluded opinion with one answer and like a child you throw your toys out of your pram. Calling me a gammon and a keyboard warrior just shows that you have the mental capacity of a gnat. Try arguing your corner instead of wasting your time with insults that an 11 year old would find beneath him.

A couple of injuries does NOT explain what this club has endured. You mentioned his use of Keating was wrong. How do you know? Passing your opinion off as fact is likely to be challenged on here because, well it's just your opinion and we've already established it has such little merit you try to flex your undoubtedly limited keyboard muscles to force it home................and fail miserably. A glass half empty type, say you, would state we're in a relegation battle. A glass half full type, say me, would say we're only a small upturn in form from challenging for a play=-off spot.

I still maintain though that your opinion we've only had a couple of injuries is deluded. Prove me wrong!!.
You probably need to discuss with GJ as he believes that the teams objective is 50 points to avoid relegation.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

My assessment of Gary Johnson is that he hit the ground running and brought in players to achieve promotion. He gave those players a chance to prove themselves at a higher level and supplemented that with some quality additions. Some worked and some didn't. We suffered a catalogue of injuries to key players which left us continually shuffling the pack to put a side out. Should I judge the manager during this spell? If I knew the fitness, mental state and application during training then yes I could judge him. Probably better to properly judge him when he has his full squad available, when he's had a chance to reject a few and bring in better suited players. Basically judge him at the end of a season rather than call for his head or criticise his selection or formation.

Our nightmare run of injuries will eventually correct itself. At full strength I think we're more than good enough to challenge the play offs. Consolidation will do me fine this season and I trust him to make sure the squad that starts next season will be more than capable of challenging for the top spot. Instant success isn't always the answer.
Dave

Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Southampton Gull wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:32 My assessment of Gary Johnson is that he hit the ground running and brought in players to achieve promotion. He gave those players a chance to prove themselves at a higher level and supplemented that with some quality additions. Some worked and some didn't. We suffered a catalogue of injuries to key players which left us continually shuffling the pack to put a side out. Should I judge the manager during this spell? If I knew the fitness, mental state and application during training then yes I could judge him. Probably better to properly judge him when he has his full squad available, when he's had a chance to reject a few and bring in better suited players. Basically judge him at the end of a season rather than call for his head or criticise his selection or formation.

Our nightmare run of injuries will eventually correct itself. At full strength I think we're more than good enough to challenge the play offs. Consolidation will do me fine this season and I trust him to make sure the squad that starts next season will be more than capable of challenging for the top spot. Instant success isn't always the answer.
Dont disagree with you and a month ago I was definitely in the camp of get the squad back from injury and we'll still make the play offs. The gloss has worn off GJ as I do think that a manager does have to manage through the injuries during a season successfully. I can only assume he's been backed by the owners with the loan signings but I think GJ has some responsibility in that these have been hit and miss. I dont think he's successfully replaced Davis and Wynter and the loss of Vincent was a loss at a poor time. I'm surprised that we've not taken a different approach with Dickson who did well when he came on as sub. The spine of the team has been weak and we need to resolve the GK position by/for next season. The inclusion of Koute created uncertainty in defence (along with GK's who dont command their areas/defence). Yeovil set the benchmark for what a push to the league looks like and the standards required. Back to GJ....we wouldn't get better at this point in time and hes still the right man but does need to turn it around sooner rather than later before players and fans get stuck in the mentality that we will lose each game played
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

A few posters mention why GJ has not recalled Ryan Dickson. Maybe something to do with Ryan's injuries he's sustained over the last few years. He's 33 years old and he just cannot stay injury free. He's in for one game them out for a month or so. I cannot recall Ryan playing a full 90 min or play in consecutive games without a problem. GJ did use him as a sub but he keeps getting injured. Even if he was injury free game time on a heavy or artificial pitch would cause him trouble.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:32 My assessment of Gary Johnson is that he hit the ground running and brought in players to achieve promotion. He gave those players a chance to prove themselves at a higher level and supplemented that with some quality additions. Some worked and some didn't. We suffered a catalogue of injuries to key players which left us continually shuffling the pack to put a side out. Should I judge the manager during this spell? If I knew the fitness, mental state and application during training then yes I could judge him. Probably better to properly judge him when he has his full squad available, when he's had a chance to reject a few and bring in better suited players. Basically judge him at the end of a season rather than call for his head or criticise his selection or formation.

Exactly this, Dave. Surely even the most stupid of people can see the bad run coincided with a horrific injury crisis?
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

wivelgull wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:00 What is a 'gammon'?
Apparently a 'Gammon' in modern 'street' terminology is a middle-aged, mainly middle-class white male who is very angry about everything all the time and is usually red-faced as a result (hence the likeness to a gammon!). There are definitely one or two on here Wivel! :lol:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

budegull1954 wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 17:10 Apparently a 'Gammon' in modern 'street' terminology is a middle-aged, mainly middle-class white male who is very angry about everything all the time and is usually red-faced as a result (hence the likeness to a gammon!). There are definitely one or two on here Wivel! :lol:
Gammon and chips. Yum yum.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I can't be a gammon then, I'm definitely working class and proud of it and also too old. I rarely get angry and am only red faced these days when bothering the missus ;-)
Dave

Biggygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Biggygull »

1 win in 14 and the rubbish cup win against Aldershot reserves. That’s 1 win in quarter of a season!!

Saying that was impressed with the left back signing and the old guy at the back. Striker now please.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Last summer a friend of mine called George phoned me up because his wife and daughter were both unwell and George need help with his work. George has 8 donkeys and every summer he takes the animals down to paignton beach and gives donkey rides to the young kids.
I arrived at the beach at around 11am where I met George and the animals. I noticed that 7 of the donkeys were grouped together eating hay whilst the other donkey was about 50 yards away eating on his own. I asked my friend why one of his animals was eating alone and my friends response seemed very odd. That donkeys name is Southampton Gull and the other donkeys don't like him because he's very intelligent and has an IQ of 180.
Thinking that George had gone mad, I asked him why his intelligence made Southampton Gull distant from the other donkeys. Well no one likes a smartass, do they!!!!!!!!!!!!.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Jesus
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Anyway back to the football , 2 wins in 13 Biggy , get it right if you're going to moan.
We hammered Woking 4-1 and it wasn't Aldershot reserves