Torquay United v Halifax

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

culmstockgull wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 20:23 Have to disagree with TUST Bob, I think Nemane comes out of the same mould as Buse, runs a lot , huffs and puffs and achieves nothing, he is not creative enough to be a midfielder, certainly does not have the pace to be a winger, so what do you do with him, I thought the game was there for the taking but we had no forward threat, we continually tried to pass it into the net when the world was screaming for someone to leather it. Our new left back and centre half were very good and way above our league and its a long time since our defence has looked so solid. After their fourth booking I was surprised that Keating was not brought on to rough them up, It doesn't take a genius to see that he will be on his bike at the end of the season as Johnson just does not fancy him.
Only good thing is this was just a competitive training game with no points lost, if we can bring in a goal scorer this week I would be a lot happier.
:goodpost:
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Modgull wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 22:29 Agree with those who thought this a better performance than for some weeks. The new players fitted in well and had good games. The team looked much better balanced. However, once again we were bullied by a more street-wise opposition who took their chances - they only had 6 attempts, 4 on target and 2 goals whereas we had 16 attempts, 8 on target with just one goal. Each keeper made two good saves but generally the finishing was poor in comparison with the approach play.

A word on the officials - they were good today. I thought the referee did well to pick up on the time wasting so early and tried to keep the game flowing.
didnt seem to know how to play advantage though, and should have had his yellow card out sooner, they got away with a lot of fouls in the first half with everything being a talking to
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Willowgull wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 21:53 I wasn't at the game today but I have seen enough of Keating to know he is not the answer. We need another forward who will make the right runs into the box and get goals. Ive been willing him to succeed because of the effort he does put in. Yes, he works very hard and he does care but we won't get promoted with him up top.
:whistle:
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Put 5 in the back, be conservative about pushing the wing backs forward and you will look better defensively but will be outnumbered further up the pitch. Struggle to see that this was a better performance than recent weeks.....felt like the same old same old.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Well alls I can say is it's time for new goalkeepers, I had said in the past that we needed a new goalkeeper coach but after this game and when you see the Halifax keeper in the first half coming out and catching all the crosses with the wind in his face, that 6 yard box was his, at the end of the first half I said to my son we are going to lose this as thay will put crosses in to the 6 yard box and the clown in goal will just watch it come over, and what happend a cross in the 6 yard box that if the clown had court it would not have led to Halifaxes first goal. Can we signe there keeper please and there goal keeper coach aswell
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Jpr wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 07:24 Well alls I can say is it's time for new goalkeepers, I had said in the past that we needed a new goalkeeper coach but after this game and when you see the Halifax keeper in the first half coming out and catching all the crosses with the wind in his face, that 6 yard box was his, at the end of the first half I said to my son we are going to lose this as thay will put crosses in to the 6 yard box and the clown in goal will just watch it come over, and what happend a cross in the 6 yard box that if the clown had court it would not have led to Halifaxes first goal. [highlight=yellow]Can we signe there keeper please and there goal keeper coach aswell[/highlight]
Are you paying?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

I thought the first half performance looked better than recent weeks, we played more football on the ground and used triangles effectively, even the keeper looked to play out from the back instead of a big hoof upfield - that was with the wind behind us.

Second half, into the wind, revert to long hopeful balls upfield from all the defensive line which went nowhere near the (I think!) intended target and was quickly re-cycled back at us. I appreciate we were chasing the game but surely with all Johnson's experience he could have kept on at them to play on the ground??

Or am I misunderstanding tactics :|
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Just watched the highlights. I thought Halifax looked good defensively. They seemed to have a lot of old sweats in their team, perhaps something we need more of; you know, in the Reg Wyatt/Colin Bettany mould. Tomogull will agree (and so might brucie).
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I did not attend yesterday but the highlights certainly endorse Garys view that we played a good deal of attractive football and yet again a cruel deflection cost us.
If we can get in a big strong striker to give more support to Jamie plus the return of Armani Little I feel confident things will get better.
It sounds like Gary Warren and Jackson Longridge did well on their debuts for United.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Willowgull wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 21:36 I really don't understand what difference Keating would have made? He clearly isn't good enough for this level of football. Ruiri wouldn't have made any difference. He has had enough chances in the last 2 years and hasn't been able to force his way in. Granted he works hard but poor first touch and no end product. GJ clearly doesn't rate him. Like Culmstock Gull says he will be off on the summer.
I happen to agree with you, yes Ruairi is committed to bombing up and down the length of the pitch in much the same manner as particles move in a chaotic flow of fluid dynamics. Does that, as many think, make him a good footballer. I think not. Take Messi in the Barcelona/Real Madrid game where he walked 83 percent of the roughly 5 miles he covered that game. Despite this, he scored and assisted in Barca’s 3-0 trouncing. Just to add to my comment Cristiano Ronaldo only averages four-fifths of a mile more running than Messi. Neither of them good enough for Torquay's run-oholic supporters then. I say, its not always how efficient you are but how effective..

I too believe that Ruairi will be off this summer.
Biggygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Biggygull »

MellowYellow wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:43 I happen to agree with you, yes Ruairi is committed to bombing up and down the length of the pitch in much the same manner as particles move in a chaotic flow of fluid dynamics. Does that, as many think, make him a good footballer. I think not. Take Messi in the Barcelona/Real Madrid game where he walked 83 percent of the roughly 5 miles he covered that game. Despite this, he scored and assisted in Barca’s 3-0 trouncing. Just to add to my comment Cristiano Ronaldo only averages four-fifths of a mile more running than Messi. Neither of them good enough for Torquay's run-oholic supporters then. I say, its not always how efficient you are but how effective..

I too believe that Ruairi will be off this summer.
We’re a national league team completely different to top professional football! we need his competitiveness in the team. There all bad players or wouldn’t be at this level to compare messi running abilities to Ruairi is silly. Barcelona have 90 percent possession.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

In a team you need a blend all we are saying if Reid had Keating or a player like Keating along side him perhaps Reid could have had more space because both centre halves would be marking. Keating is the only fit striker available and has played well in his last few games.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

wivelgull wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:14 Just watched the highlights. I thought Halifax looked good defensively. They seemed to have a lot of old sweats in their team, perhaps something we need more of; you know, in the Reg Wyatt/Colin Bettany mould. Tomogull will agree (and so might brucie).
Please join us in 2020 when you're ready...........
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 10:06 Are you paying?
Yes every game I go to
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights are up

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest