Johnson out

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I don't recall anyone but you mentioning GJ in connection with God, Jesus or the pope. Without our squad being decimated by injuries even YOU would find it hard to carry on this vendetta. Judge his merits at the end of the season when we're knocked out in the play offs 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull. Stop exaggerating. For the millionith time, I DO NOT HAVE A VENDETTA against Gary Johnson.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull. I thought relegation play offs were done away with. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the play offs use to involve 3 teams going for promotion and 1 team near the bottom of the league above?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

notnow wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 00:59 This thread should be deleted, GJ is the best thing to happen to our club in recent years. If you can’t see that I’m not wasting any time pointing it out.
Nah, we should keep it for posterity. That way, in April/May 2021 when we're 6 points clear at the top of the National League we can trawl back through it and remind the idiots who we clamouring for Johnson to be sacked that they are, in fact, idiots.

It's ridiculous that people even think GJ's job should be at risk. Yes, he should be having pressure applied to improve results - and I'm sure he is, not least by himself - but given the laughable injury list it would be unfair to take action until those players have returned.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

dawlishmatt wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 11:07 You of all people should know that a forum is a place for people to express their opinions....
Definitely. You're entitled to your opinion.

I'm entitled to my own opinion, namely that your opinion is terrible :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

The only positive thing you can say about this thread is that Brucie, Teigngull AND Soton Gull all agree !
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

There are only about three people who hold the view described in the thread title. The difficulty is they obviously don't have a job given the frequency they post their gimmerich. It really is time the administrators closed this thread gently down.
Howdidigethere
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Howdidigethere »

Lots of people backing the manager which is fantastically loyal but other than insults directed at those posting rational concerns, I don’t see a lot of valid arguments to back up their shortsightedness. The continued claims about our injury ravaged team hold no water as far as I’m concerned. We had no injuries against Boreham Wood’s 10 men first game of the season and we were definitely less than impressive that day. Followed it up with a shocker at Solihull and another home defeat to Mighty Maidenhead. Three of our home wins have been achieved when playing for a sustained period against 10 men. With the odd exception, we have not played well all season and we have done nothing to correct a fragile defence other than to keep swapping the goalkeeper behind it. We owe a big thank you to Jamie Reid but should he move on during this transfer window, where are the goals going to come from then?
We’re heading for stormy waters during the second half of the season and I for one just hope we don’t end up sinking.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Howdidigethere wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 20:32 Lots of people backing the manager which is fantastically loyal but other than insults directed at those posting rational concerns, I don’t see a lot of valid arguments to back up their shortsightedness. The continued claims about our injury ravaged team hold no water as far as I’m concerned. We had no injuries against Boreham Wood’s 10 men first game of the season and we were definitely less than impressive that day. Followed it up with a shocker at Solihull and another home defeat to Mighty Maidenhead. Three of our home wins have been achieved when playing for a sustained period against 10 men. With the odd exception, we have not played well all season and we have done nothing to correct a fragile defence other than to keep swapping the goalkeeper behind it. We owe a big thank you to Jamie Reid but should he move on during this transfer window, where are the goals going to come from then?
We’re heading for stormy waters during the second half of the season and I for one just hope we don’t end up sinking.
Shortsightedness???
What about short memories?
Some on here forget we'd still be in the NLS if GJ hadn't become manager.
Now that would have been something to moan about.
You're opinion is that we are heading for "stormy waters" - mine isn't.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

tomogull wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 17:41 The only positive thing you can say about this thread is that Brucie, Teigngull AND Soton Gull all agree !
Which is a good sign that Dawlish is totally deluded 😉
Dave

PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Howdidigethere wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 20:32 Lots of people backing the manager which is fantastically loyal but other than insults directed at those posting rational concerns, I don’t see a lot of valid arguments to back up their shortsightedness. The continued claims about our injury ravaged team hold no water as far as I’m concerned. We had no injuries against Boreham Wood’s 10 men first game of the season and we were definitely less than impressive that day. Followed it up with a shocker at Solihull and another home defeat to Mighty Maidenhead. Three of our home wins have been achieved when playing for a sustained period against 10 men. With the odd exception, we have not played well all season and we have done nothing to correct a fragile defence other than to keep swapping the goalkeeper behind it. We owe a big thank you to Jamie Reid but should he move on during this transfer window, where are the goals going to come from then?
I don't think anyone is denying that things are not good and that GJ should rightly be having some pressure applied from above. But, bare in mind that Gary Johnson is one of the best managers we have ever had, the only manager to have won a league title with TUFC, one of the greatest managers to ever work in the Conference, if we get rid we better make damn sure we have someone lined up who is going to perform at least as good as him.
You say "I don’t see a lot of valid arguments to back up their shortsightedness", well I would say the same to you and all the others calling for GJ's head. Where are your valid arguments to back up why we should sack GJ? Who would you replace him with. Given the amount of managers the club has employed in the last 30 years and how few of those were actually successful over a prolonged period just who do you think can do a better job than Gary Johnson?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Also, I would like to remind everyone of Paul Buckle's tenure. Two season's in the conference finishing in the playoffs then in our first season in League Two we finished 17th before pushing on to the playoffs again the year after.
Seriously, all of you calling for GJ's head. Please get some perspective, please don't be so shortsighted. GJ is the best manager we can get and we should fight to hold on to him for as long as we can.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

There is no denying Gary’s quality as a manager, my issue is his decision making. I do not understand how Ryan Dickson is struggling to get onto our side. Another loan move makes 0 sense.

Our fans can no longer hide behind the *injuries* other teams have had injuries, they’ve still risen out results. It seeks like
The wheels have come off the bus. Sacking Gary is not the right move, back him, give him some funds to turn this around.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, we were walking in a Buckle wonderland.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Perhaps Dickson hasn't shown enough fitness to warrant inclusion, perhaps the budget restraints meant he had to shuffle the pack, why would anyone try to second guess why the Manager (proven at this level like no other) makes the decisions he's paid to make?

If the likes of Brucie and myself can see it why can't others? We're probably the first to criticise underperforming staff at the club but I think both of us can easily see exactly why we're in this rut. It certainly isn't down to a manager who isn't good enough.

Decisions that baffle fans are second nature at this level but of all the managers we've endured recently this is the first time I've felt 100% faith in the man picking the side. Some fans seem to think 10 games define a manager, well it bloody doesn't, only time does that.
Dave