Johnson out

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Hammdog I think you are being a tad too critical, there is no evidence that the owner is not continuing to support Johnson, quite rightly he will be asking difficult questions such as how the acquisitions that Johnson has already made have turned out, it is still in his personal interests to continue his support for Torquay. Getting a player as we know is not as easy as many may think, if they are available the first question must be WHY, can we afford them, do they won't to come to the edge of the national league, I understand three players left today and a further three have two matches left on their loan spells and that is without any players choosing to move on in January, so yes there is a very real urgency to bring in replacements, but this is the wrong time of the season to bring in seven or eight players who do not know each other and expect them to get us out of trouble.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Jerry wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 12:38 So if 4 are relegated that leaves the league a club short doesn't it? Unless Bury are put in the National League which goes against every single precedent.
Hi Jerry, yes I can see where you are coming from. However the National League table published in 'The Times' yesterday definitely shows 4 relegation places as things stand at the moment. Most likely the EFL and/or National League have not made any contingecy plans re: the Bury situation.
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

Can someone please bloody tell me how Gary and his brother have not had signings lined up? He knows as much as us that our defence is a massive issue. You’d have thought he’d have players ready to sign on January 1st. Loans etc. If no one is in for tomorrow then I’ll be absolutely baffled. All “January is a big month for sighings” if we lose tomorrow he has to go. We have 3 defenders available and one out on loan. Inexcusable.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Reidy28 wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 16:09 Can someone please bloody tell me how Gary and his brother have not had signings lined up? He knows as much as us that our defence is a massive issue. You’d have thought he’d have players ready to sign on January 1st. Loans etc. If no one is in for tomorrow then I’ll be absolutely baffled. All “January is a big month for sighings” if we lose tomorrow he has to go. We have 3 defenders available and one out on loan. Inexcusable.
If it was just a case of getting numbers I am sure they would have signed a raft of players by now. But it's not numbers we need, it's quality.
As we all know there is no transfer window for us, we can sign who we like, when we like. The window is there for the league clubs though, the reason that January is important for us is that those league clubs will be looking to replace current players, make new signings and releasing/loaning their old players to the likes of us. That was never going to all happen on January 1st. It will take time but I maintain full faith in the borthers Johnson to make those signings over the next few weeks that will lift us back up the table.
A decent goalie and an experienced centre-half and all of a sudden we look like one of the top teams again. I would rather they take their time and find the right players at the right price rather than signing any old tat just to appease those few fans who refuse to see the bigger picture.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

PhilGull wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 16:28 If it was just a case of getting numbers I am sure they would have signed a raft of players by now. But it's not numbers we need, it's quality.
As we all know there is no transfer window for us, we can sign who we like, when we like. The window is there for the league clubs though, the reason that January is important for us is that those league clubs will be looking to replace current players, make new signings and releasing/loaning their old players to the likes of us. That was never going to all happen on January 1st. It will take time but I maintain full faith in the borthers Johnson to make those signings over the next few weeks that will lift us back up the table.
A decent goalie and an experienced centre-half and all of a sudden we look like one of the top teams again. I would rather they take their time and find the right players at the right price rather than signing any old tat just to appease those few fans who refuse to see the bigger picture.
Not calling back Dickson is what I cannot get my head around. It makes zero sense.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Reidy28 wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 16:09 Can someone please bloody tell me how Gary and his brother have not had signings lined up? He knows as much as us that our defence is a massive issue. You’d have thought he’d have players ready to sign on January 1st. Loans etc. If no one is in for tomorrow then I’ll be absolutely baffled. All “January is a big month for sighings” [highlight=yellow]if we lose tomorrow he has to go[/highlight]. We have 3 defenders available and one out on loan. Inexcusable.
You are a complete tool.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 17:11 You are a complete tool.
So I’m a complete tool for wanting him out? He is not motivating the team, He has lost the changing room. I’m not one to get sucked into the “national league south champions” anyone other than Owers would have won us the league. This run is just inexcusable.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Reidy28 wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 17:20 So I’m a complete tool for wanting him out? He is not motivating the team, He has lost the changing room. I’m not one to get sucked into the “national league south champions” anyone other than Owers would have won us the league. This run is just inexcusable.
Yes you are
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

So Barnsley Chop is insulting yet another member of the fans forum for posting an opinion that he doesn't share. New year, same old tosh from Mr Chop.
In reading several posts over the last few weeks, I can see where the responsibility for our current plight lies according to the Gary Johnson is God supporters. It is obviously clear that we urgently need at least 4 or 5 new players signed during this transfer window. Most supporters are expecting players being brought in from probably league 2 or experienced players from our own league. These will undoubtedly cost money, eg higher wages and/or a transfer fee. If uncle Clarke decides that there is no more money available, then he will undoubtedly get the blame dispite Johnson having signed 28 players. Time will tell.
I'm glad that Barnsley Chop has got new batteries for his radio as I enjoy reading his match day posts whilst he is listening to radio commentary on the match.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

budegull1954 wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 13:37 Hi Jerry, yes I can see where you are coming from. However the National League table published in 'The Times' yesterday definitely shows 4 relegation places as things stand at the moment. Most likely the EFL and/or National League have not made any contingecy plans re: the Bury situation.
Yeah I don't think the tables will be amended until an official decision has been reached and this cannot happen until the fate of Bury is known. But I think it's 99% certain that only 3 will go down this year (maybe only 2 if things don't improve at Macclesfield).
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

DWB wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 17:35 Yes you are
Each to their own, having your own opinion I respect it!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

As long as you not publicising such utter tosh it's okay you have such ridiculous views with me as well.
Mojo
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Mojo »

It seems utter poppycock to me, that any person who has the best interests of the club at heart would want Gary Johnson to leave as manager.

In our long history as a football club we have gained promotion and relegation on multiple occasion, but only once have won the league - This under Gary Johnson. It's frustrating to watch the team getting beaten most weeks, but sitting in on Bristows Bench not far from the home dugout, I see GJ as - and sometimes more - frustrated than fans around me.

Any person who follows the club, must be aware of the vast amount of injuries we've had and are continuing to have. We were thumped and Huish Park on Boxing Day and played off the park at Plainmoor on New Years Day - By a team who last year were playing league football, against a team who last season were playing in Conference South.

I for one would be delighted for us to finish the season in a comfortable mid table position, having avoided relegation and created a sustainable platform on which to build next season. It's awful to see the team losing with such regularity, but we as a fan base need to support the club, and the manager.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Couldn't agree more.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Also agree, things have been really disappointing over the last couple of months. Even 3 wins out of 9 would have put us about 4th but we have slipped away and barring a quick turnaround in form it looks like we now have to secure our status at this level. Having said that we are 4 points off the playoffs so all is not lost.

I felt we were punching a ove our weight at the start of the season as the feel good from last year carried us through a few games and Reidy was scoring every game. The defensive issues were obvious and while I'm sure Gary would have wanted to spend more time and money focusing on that we then had massive injury problems further up the field which meant we have had to do a few almost panic loans to just have enough numbers. It was always going to catch up with us at some point as was the fact some of the lads who did well for us last year weren't going to be good enough for a team that has eyes at being at the top of the league.

I fully believe Gary Johnson is the right person he has a track record of success in this league and he knows where we need to improve and I expect significant changes this month to try and improve some key areas of the team. Especially at the back, ideally goalkeeper as well as another forward to take the pressure off Reidy and give us another main goal threat. Not easy but we have the best person in place to do it and any thoughts otherwise because we've had a tough run are quite frankly ludicrous.