Torquay United v Yeovil New Year's Day 2020

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

What a bloody shambles that was. Not only was our defence inept, but most of the players seemed to be unable to get the basics right. Niate is a bloody liability and even before he was given his first yellow, I thought that he wouldn't last the game. We were sluggish, completely unable to take advantage of Yeovil going down to 10 men and gave the ball away again and again and again.
TUST member 203
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Yea I feel a bit for Niate. He does give it hid all but so many times he slices or misses clearances.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Mr Johnson showed no respect to the fans at the end by scuttling straight down the tunnel.
I wonder why?
Oh yes we'd lost and were pitiful.
The fans have remained on his side but it wouldn't take a lot for them to turn.
Man up Gary.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

brucie wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 17:48 It might be fantasy but no team is going to get promotion with the injury list that we have had this season. You have to be realistic.

It was either a fluke that we got to two points from the top or you have to take into account our poor run coincided with the ever increasing injury list.
But you have to admit our recruitment over the last month has had no impact! Every week the talk is of the poor defence!
and nothing seems to have been done!
This league is so tight and play offs are still achievable! But with our form the teams below are winning and catching. Being drag into the relegation is very worrying!
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Uptongull wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 18:03 Yea I feel a bit for Niate. He does give it hid all but so many times he slices or misses clearances.
The mistakes are one thing, but his boneheaded fouls are ridiculous. As they disappeared down the tunnel at half-time, I actually turned to my mate and said, "if he leaves Niate on, he won't see the end of the game". He just does needless, stupid fouls.
TUST member 203
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Quite simply they were a better team than us.
We could have equalised in the last 15 minutes but they looked equally likely to score, especially as often they left two up and we only had two back.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

That was bloody shocking. Playing against 10 men, at home in front of a bumper crowd for more than 80 mins, and only once made their keeper work! A disgrace. Hall is dogshit, didn’t win one header all game, gave the ball away with every pass and missed every tackle, if we see him in a yellow shirt again it will be a joke. Niate is crap! Misses headers, misses the ball, can’t even tackle. The guys a man mountain yet gets bullied every game. Candy’s confidence is shot. Why wasn’t lewington brought on at HT. no point giving him 8 mins to try win a game! Really really really poor!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I have a slightly different assessment of the game. Up at Yeovil I couldn't judge Yeovil as team, how good/bad they were, whether they promotion candidates or not, purely because team was just so poor that day.

Today saw enough from us to judge Yeovil, to be fair on that they are promotion candidates we're not, to be fair much of our problems out on the pitch today were caused by a Yeovil side who player for player were simply a better team, after their sending off they showed what a well organised side they were, as soon as Yeovil lost possession, they had three steadfast lines, 4 at the back 3 in front, 2 in front again in their own half, from the length, and breath of their half filled with green shirts, basically asked us the question can you break us down, of which we didn't have the quality to do so.

On the other you could see why we conceded so many goals, every time we lost possession had a look at our shape, well there wasn't any shape, all over the place looking at defensive shape was akin to a dot to dot picture with out the lines drawn in.

Again another difference today they closed us down quickly, so our team resorted to by passing the midfield, meat and drink to their defenders, when we actually closed them down, they did exactly what we should have done, but didn't or couldn't, passed it around us, hence why they never looked a man short.

Not going to jump down the throats of our team, today we were outclassed by better opposition, if we want promotion, then a clear out and re-build needs to start for next season, think this seasons now is about getting enough points to stay up though.

Spoke on the last thread I went to about re-balancing the squad, we are woefully short of ability at the back, said I thought Naite pretty should be the first one out, another member posted shortly afterwards to say Naite was the best of a bad bunch, well if anyone at the game today after witnessing that individual performance still thinks he's the best CB we have, then seriously we need to go home now, and the last one out turn the lights, sorry really don't like being personal, but we had better CB's during our last relegation season, there was fans actually clapping the referee when he was sent off, maybe a nice bloke, maybe a good character around the place, but a truly shocking defender.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Very disappointing performance which seems a contradiction as we did not at all perform, Yeovil were not dirty in the way Woking were but far more physical than us and yet again we were bullied.Several players may have been considering their futures in the transfer window and didn't wish to get hurt or involved, chief amongst them was Reid. Evans did not seem capable of finding any pass let alone the right one, our back four which I thought did well on Saturday were all over the place today, Nemane was very poor from minute one and I am not sure how he stayed for 60, which left our only outlet as Whitfield who they ganged up on for the odd occasion we managed to actually pass to him . Niate getting sent off was like putting an animal out of its misery, he was clueless today. Our season and survival in this league. considering we are only two losses of the relegation zone is dependent on any experienced acquisitions that Johnson brings in.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

It was men against boys today. Yeovil are way ahead of us, probably not surprising with their budget and squad. When they went down to 10 you would never have known. We just couldn't compete with them in any area.
At half time I thought we would have come out and change our game plan however it was Yeovil who came out and played their game and dominated us.
Thoroughly disappointing in front of a bumper crowd.
The honest truth is that we have too many players who are unable to compete at this level.
GJ will now surely have to make changes.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

No shots on target until 60 mins both powder puff effort, he only had to make one proper save from a corner around the 90min mark.
haz316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: elliot benyon

Post by haz316 »

Only thing i saw niate kick today was the gate after his stupid sending off
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

The squad is woefully poor with several players playing a league or two too high for them
Major rebuilding is needed now
not certain what the point of Downes is?
If he coaches the defence he is doing a piss poor job!
haz316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: elliot benyon

Post by haz316 »

I would expect aaron downes to perform better than the centre halves we have at the moment...