Harrogate v Torquay United 7/12/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Duku is Dutch I understand and has returned to Amsterdam "with his new family"
This tells me, and it happens frequently, that he signed for us because he got an offer he could not refuse but for a variety of reasons apart from form the move to Torquay just did not work out.
It happens and now Gary will hopefully recruit a striker in January who could make a real difference because we rely too much on Jamie to score the goals.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Good pre match drink and great to meet SNW and the some of the other lads but unfortunately the match will be one I'll try to forget. Harrogate were poor really IMO , but we were poorer. Can't really name any player who did well. Yea we did a little better in the last 20 mins but it was still heading and kicking into empty spaces. No game plan and looked devoid of ideas and passion. There 2nd goal was well taken . Our penalty looked well taken.
Don't blaming the pitch but it's not for me at this level , not keen at all.

Great support from all
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Saikou picked up an injury during training. Gary mentioned it in the interview.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Gary's interview

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

And to top it all Evans was limping at the end of the game. Have you ever known a team where so many players get injured.
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

BRING IN SOME EXPERIENCED PLAYERS! **** SAKE MANNNN
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

I thought when we got promoted, mid table or at best the play offs would be where we'd end up this season and go for promotion next year,the way things are panning out seems the crux of it ,not easy to gain promotion in continual seasons
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Last season this group of players were playing against part time kids, who we judged them against. This season is against full time seasoned pros, who are quite simply strong, cleaver and experienced - this is now showing through.

To me we need four or five old heads, who can get the cheap free kicks, play for time, know how to win at this level and simply get the job done. Experience is needed.

It may not produce the style of football we have seen over the past year, but ask yourself, do you want results or sexy football as we have at times now. To me it is a results business, winning ugly will do me. If sexy football is for you, accept what we have.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Nick Potkins wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 08:15 Last season this group of players were playing against part time kids, who we judged them against. This season is against full time seasoned pros, who are quite simply strong, cleaver and experienced - this is now showing through.

To me we need four or five old heads, who can get the cheap free kicks, play for time, know how to win at this level and simply get the job done. Experience is needed.

It may not produce the style of football we have seen over the past year, but ask yourself, do you want results or sexy football as we have at times now. To me it is a results business, winning ugly will do me. If sexy football is for you, accept what we have.
What's sexy about losing 6 games in a row?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Modgull wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 08:32 What's sexy about losing 6 games in a row?
The point I was trying to make it taking the past year it has been sexy at times and is still at times. I know some don't what to play the long ball or win ugly, but I don't belive this style or crop of players will get us out of this league.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Nick Potkins wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 10:55 The point I was trying to make it taking the past year it has been sexy at times and is still at times. I know some don't what to play the long ball or win ugly, but I don't belive this style or crop of players will get us out of this league.
Agree Nick.
I dont remember anyone complaining when we were scoring four goals....
Yes, performances have dropped off, but playing against better teams and the injuries we have have put us back.
I didnt subscibe to the promotion/play off party for this season to get us back in the league.
As for yesterday, well it was just one of those days - no luck at all.
A deflected first goal and a slip at the back let stead in for the second.
Second half we were better and after we scored we were the better team by far.
Ben Whitfield - best player and outstanding again and had a chance to make it 2-2 but on his left foot sent it a yard past the far post. Gutting.
Keating was good when he came on - but for me he should have been on at half time at least.
We move on.......
Posters seem to forget we are Torquay United....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Points made by Neil Potkins are very relevant to the poor run we find ourselves in. Every week we are playing against seasoned pros , who regardless of the talent shown by our loan brigade will always lose out to experience. I questioned weeks ago whether the training regime or the after injury care package was applicable or up to scratch, certainly after the home match two weeks ago we saw that three players who were allegedly fit to play were anything but. At this stage of the season as opposed to pre season its not about beasting the players , but we continue to train back to back days and as Johnson said mid week they really went through it this week. What happens Hall picks up another training injury and Reid is certainly not back to his best. With Duku gone we consider the options for January I make a case for a good defender others for a striker to play alongside Reid. If we spend all our efforts looking for a sympathetic forward and Reid goes in January then all our work will be for nothing but if we continue to ship goals we are heading in only one direction.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Evans has done his ankle again. Bad times
The gulls are going up
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

gullno4 wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 15:32 Evans has done his ankle again. Bad times
That’s bad news. Where did you hear this?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Not saying CLE's injury if confirmed was down to the pitch but it's time these pitches were banned.
Someone said Harrogate have several injuries themselves , and Liam Davis's injury may have been pitch related, there is just no give like grass.
Apart from that they clearly give the home team an advantage who know how to play them as Gary Johnson has alluded to several times.