Torquay United v Stockport 30/11/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

SBP wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 07:16 I feel a bit for Cundy. He's taking the brunt of the criticism. From what I ve seen I wouldn't want to be playing in front of both our keepers. Rotating keepers is ridiculous. How is any defence able to build an understanding when the keepers are being swapped every game. Losing Liam Davis is a huge loss. Cameron's display has been way down. I honestly question whether Cameron is able to compete at this level because I m really doubtful on what I ve seen. Wynter went through a tough period last season and at the moment he is probably the first name on the team sheet.
Yep It's Time to stick to one keeper and not keep changing, But Lucas does not control his Box on corners or when any other ball in to the box, and this winds me up as his a tall keeper and does not use his height,and he's as quiet as a mouse when a ball is crossed in, also needs to some times slow his kick outs down and not just thump the ball up the pitch to no one, for Shaun being an in out keeper is no good for confidence but he needs to be a little less gun Ho an needs to think a little more and watch his positioning.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Even in our run of 7 wins in 8 we conceded 11 goals and another 12 in 5 since
Gary knows how to get it right at both ends though. His Cheltenham title winning team with 101 points scored 87 goals and only conceded 30
Get Aaron Downes a couple of new knees and he can get back in our defence , he's only 34 !
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I suspect that the manager has started rotating the keepers waiting for one of them to stand up and claim the place. Unfortunately it seems neither has grasped the chance.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 22:47 On that performance Cundy isn't a good signing, and the number of goals we have conceded since he has been playing seems to back that up.
I wasn't at last Saturday's game so cannot comment on how Rob Cundy played, but apparently he had a bit of a nightmare. It happens. I don't think it is fair to say he 'isn't a good signing'. Bath City had the meanest defence in National League South last season, and Cundy was at the heart of it, a fact that had not gone unnoticed by Bristol City. He has appeared in fans 'top five' players many times, including mine. When a team goes on a losing run, players start to lose a bit of confidence and when we've got six or seven players out, it sort of snowballs.

GJ likes to throw players forward which is great, but it puts pressure on the defence. It's all well and good bleating about the number of goals conceded, but last time I looked we were still the league's top scorers. I'm totally 100% behind Gary Johnson, but if I have one criticism it is that he didn't bring in a couple of experienced players during the close season. A central defender to play alongside Kyle Cameron and a striker to partner Jamie Reid. But it is not easy to persuade older players to come to this part of the world when maybe they have children settled in school etc.

Manny Duku has not been a good signing so far and I can't understand why Ruari Keating isn't being given more game time. At the end of last season, before his injury, he was playing very, very well.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

budegull1954 wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 13:23 For masochists only!
Surely, being a Torquay fan, automatically qualifies you! :whistle: :keepie: :scarf:
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

I’m just worried that Gary sticks with the same centre backs for Harrogate
Tommy17
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tommy17 »

Drop left back & Cundy, bring in Lewis and we should do ok
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

Lewis Left Back? Nah I’m good
Tommy17
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tommy17 »

Lewis centre back with Cameron
Tommy17
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tommy17 »

Cundy making to many mistakes, costing us soft goals (3 on Saturday)
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

I would start Lewis with Cameron, Although Gary started Niate over lewis when we played Eastleigh. Maybe he thinks Niate is better in a 3 than Lewis
Howdidigethere
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Howdidigethere »

Didn’t see Saturday’s debacle but did watch the Wrexham game a few weeks ago. How we kept a clean sheet that night I’ll never know and Cundy was at the heart of every thing bad. I clearly remember 2 really bad mistakes that should have cost us points.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 18:16 I would start Lewis with Cameron, Although Gary started Niate over lewis when we played Eastleigh. Maybe he thinks Niate is better in a 3 than Lewis
Lewis was outstanding a Woking at centre half
Tommy17
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tommy17 »

Lewis and Cameron would be a good pairing, I disagree Cameron is not good enough for this level, he was our best defender by far last season and when we have our mid field back to full fitness we will see a big difference.
Keep the faith there's a long was to go yet
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

arcadia wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 22:29 Lewis was outstanding a Woking at centre half
Best player on the pitch!