Torquay United v Stockport 30/11/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

You had to lump on Stockport as soon as Sam Alison came out as the ref, he even jokingly showed a red card to the popside fans after he was jeered during the warm up!!

For me I was glad we went back to 4 at the back as 5 doesn't work but the midfield was over run all game

When you have 2 very attacking wingers and full backs that push on as well suddenly you've got 2 CM and 2 CB faced with Stockport breaking 5 midfielders and their 1 striker in their 4-2-3-1 formation

It was good to have Hall back but it was clear Reid wasn't fit

I'd quite like us to use a 4-3-3 as we don't have a focal point to use a 4-2-3-1 I'd have Lewington or Keating up top with Kalala and Whitfield either side, now Hall and CLE are back we can bolster the middle to be a little harder to beat to get out of this slump
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Let's hope we come away next Saturday from Harrogate with some points rather than nothing from Horrorgate!
TUST_Member_Rob

Also worth noting that it seemed Alison missed what seemed to be a blatant handball at 0-0 denying us a penalty, how that would have affected the rest of the game who knows!
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Firstly let’s stop trying to hide the the gaps, by saying the stuff about the penalty’s. Yes they were pens but we were shocking.

It’s time we bring Joe Lewis in. Our centre backs have got away with everything all season, when in reality they’ve been absolutely dire.

Janneh needs to be dropped and we go back to 1 upfront.

It’s worked all season. Don’t like how we’ve changed everything to fit janneh in.

The goal keeper rotation is a mess and needs sorting.

Only positive I can give out of yesterday’s game was McNulty, what a player he is.

Fully behind Gary to get it right, right man for the job.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Have to agree with posts about how much we miss Frank Vincent, and how organised Stockport were in dominating the midfield and hunting down in packs; playing two wide men just left our midfield 2 unable to have any effect, especially as the wide men were usually shepherded towards the corner flag, which also meant absolutely no service to our front two.
Cannot agree about good to have Asa Hall back - I'm afraid he is lacking any pace and misses tackles - yes, he is just back from injury but he cannot get up and down the field any more. Ridiculously, the only time he did go well forwards we took a short corner and nearly conceded from losing the ball easily.
CLE coming on made a huge difference in central midfield, but we still found it difficult to break through a disciplined massed defence.
Lewington looked promising for giving us a more physical presence up front.
Yes, we should have had a penalty minutes before going one down, but we were so woeful in central defence that it might not have made the final result any different. As for the last goal, we should have had a defender placed at the near post as for a corner, but maybe we had given up by then.
COYY, more professional please.
TUST_Member_Rob

PL21gull wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 15:32 Have to agree with posts about how much we miss Frank Vincent, and how organised Stockport were in dominating the midfield and hunting down in packs; playing two wide men just left our midfield 2 unable to have any effect, especially as the wide men were usually shepherded towards the corner flag, which also meant absolutely no service to our front two.
Cannot agree about good to have Asa Hall back - I'm afraid he is lacking any pace and misses tackles - yes, he is just back from injury but he cannot get up and down the field any more. Ridiculously, the only time he did go well forwards we took a short corner and nearly conceded from losing the ball easily.
CLE coming on made a huge difference in central midfield, but we still found it difficult to break through a disciplined massed defence.
Lewington looked promising for giving us a more physical presence up front.
Yes, we should have had a penalty minutes before going one down, but we were so woeful in central defence that it might not have made the final result any different. As for the last goal, we should have had a defender placed at the near post as for a corner, but maybe we had given up by then.
COYY, more professional please.
You say CLE did well when he came on but it was him who unnecessarily took a quick free kick gifting them their 3rd goal

We know he's got quality but needs midfield support

Kalala was the sub who made the most difference came on with intent to attack and try and make things happen
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Hammdog2601 »

We badly missed Andrews yesterday, he makes things happen.

Why was Conor playing as a defensive midfielder?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have just had a close look at our scores for the first 24 League games.The reality is that in 12 out of 24 games we have conceded 2 or more goals.In fact in 5 games we conceded 3 or more. In only 4 matches did we keep a clean sheet.
We are leaking on average 1.7 goals a game but in November it was 2.6 goals a game.
Gary has to make 3 very important decisions. Who is his No 1 keeper and stick with him.
Which formation is best. Is it 4 4 2 or or 5 4 1?

What to do with our Centre backs? I feel Lewis should replace Cundy because when Cundy left the pitch yesterday he looked close to tears after a nightmare match. Confidence completely shot.
Selection for Harrogate is possibly season defining.
Who would be a Football Manager!
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Hammdog2601 »

He’ll go back to a back 3. He won’t drop any of them. He never does and never will
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I understand that the national league have not appointed a referee for next week's match away at Harrogate. Aparrantly they are expecting a cricket score and have appointed umpires instead. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Hammdog2601 »

dawlishmatt wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 17:03 I understand that the national league have not appointed a referee for next week's match away at Harrogate. Aparrantly they are expecting a cricket score and have appointed umpires instead. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
That’s class😂
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

dawlishmatt wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 17:03 I understand that the national league have not appointed a referee for next week's match away at Harrogate. Aparrantly they are expecting a cricket score and have appointed umpires instead. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
If you was an anagram of Ray Johnson I could quite easily laugh, but you’re not. You just come across as a complete tosser
Lucy
MBoro2Torquay2k18
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kalala

Post by MBoro2Torquay2k18 »

In a CRAB Shell

Name change from The Gulls to the Crabs

Stockport were so fast & dynamic on the break away
Only taking 2 or 3 passes to reach Torquay's penalty box

Whereas WE took 20 to 23(it seemed)
Slowly playing the ball sideways "Crab like"
& as the match went on even worse backwards

Far to slow & ponderous in our approach play
Unlike Stockport who were quickly using their players advantage
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 03:06 Have to say I am very confused at the beginning of the season I really was just hoping for mid-table stay in the national league and build for the following season. Really could not face relegation to the South league again. Then we start well people start talking about promotion great squad great young team scoring goals for fun..... Then lack luster cup exit, very disappointing, Few injuries and wow 3-4 weeks from being 2 points from the top we are in freefall top that with a thrashing at home from Stockport. The worst thing about this run its starting to feel a lot like the Gary Owers stewardship, Hope above all hope for a win but realistically know defeat was inevitable! Gary Johnson is a hero but he is not immune from criticism, we all know that the defence needed work why has it not been sorted? Can anyone see us winning next week?
I have my tickets for Ebbsfleet on the 25th Jan before this run was telling my friends to come join the party as we are on our way to the football league!!! Feels more like it going to be relegation battle... and will Gary Johnson still be at the helm!!!!!!
You are not as optimistic, as at the end of October, then? :keepie:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I'm beginning to suspect that the character calling himself Dawlishmatt is, in fact, the wretched (and banned) Ferrarilover.