Torquay United v Stockport 30/11/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What actually are the "sorry state of affairs at the club" you allude to exactly??

Whilst I don't agree with yours and particularly Culmstockgulls gloating style of posting when we lose I wouldn't defend todays result though. Its hard to see how Johnson on has "lost the dressing room" when three weeks ago he was two points off the top of the table.

However I will agree that Johnson seems to have made some odd decisions today. As he said in the interview he gave Hall and Cle half a game each today. With Andrews suspended he could hardly do anything else - he has no midfielders left.

Changing the keepers every game makes no sense at all. The biggest error however seems to be playing Reid when he was unfit - that's just plain daft. I do wonder whether there is an issue with Keating though as he was reportedly unhappy with his lack of gametime.

With all due respect to Lewington I was somewhat dismayed when he was subbed on today instead of Keating (who indeed scored on Tuesday). This may be hard on Lewington but is he really likely to be the answer in our current predicament?

I'd rather have seen Keating or Duku given a chance today. Its hardly surprising these players are unhappy given the way they have been treated.

Also the loss of Vincent has shown what an underated and improved player he has been this season - another key loss. With a couple of uninspiring and inexperienced signings on show, an unfit striker and a couple of players returning from long absences this really didn't come as that much of a shock today.

Worrying signs though nonetheless.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Dawlishmatt, I will defend your right to a view on the way Torquay are playing and your take on things generally but I think you are plain wrong on this one, I do not imagine he has lost or will lose the changing room, there is no doubt that pro footballers are in the main a precious, pampered lot who do not take kindly to be taken apart by an old school manager and some of the malcontents if they exist but usually do in every changing room will ensure their jaundiced views reach the outside world. I do not think Johnson will voluntarily leave and I see no sign of the club dispensing with him, his experience and knowledge still make him one of the best managers in this league , if he has had a failing this season it has been his misguided loyalty to a number of inferior players.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I thought we struggled to stay 0-0 first half Cundy had an off day and Hall and Buse did not compliment each other the passing was to slow. It does seem the injuries have caught up with us and players are losing confidence. Lewington is a different player to Keating and could compliment Jennah I've seen him play over the last few years and he could be a good addition to the squad. Andrews passing was missing today and physical strength as it was men against boys. We needed three in midfield in my opinion it was like our players had never played together. Barn door seemed to be left open
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Keating out of all the squad seems to have been overlooked and underused overall, I'm no expert but every time I've seen him play he would be the first name on the teamsheet.Bemused!
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Have to say I am very confused at the beginning of the season I really was just hoping for mid-table stay in the national league and build for the following season. Really could not face relegation to the South league again. Then we start well people start talking about promotion great squad great young team scoring goals for fun..... Then lack luster cup exit, very disappointing, Few injuries and wow 3-4 weeks from being 2 points from the top we are in freefall top that with a thrashing at home from Stockport. The worst thing about this run its starting to feel a lot like the Gary Owers stewardship, Hope above all hope for a win but realistically know defeat was inevitable! Gary Johnson is a hero but he is not immune from criticism, we all know that the defence needed work why has it not been sorted? Can anyone see us winning next week?
I have my tickets for Ebbsfleet on the 25th Jan before this run was telling my friends to come join the party as we are on our way to the football league!!! Feels more like it going to be relegation battle... and will Gary Johnson still be at the helm!!!!!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It's funny how Dawlish (Dawlishmuttface did make me laugh) always needs to accentuate his replies with what he seems to view as important details about his home life, where he eats out and how everyone at his table laughs at good old torquayfans.com. He must be one very boring individual if all he has to do on a Saturday night is laugh at those on here who call out his ridiculous viewpoint. Premier Inn no less.My suspicion is he's full of shit.

Gary Johnson will turn our fortunes around quicker than Muttface can say Lenny Henry. Players coming back from injury are notorious for taking time to find their stride, there's nothing to see here, just a bad day at the office and we'll learn from it I have no doubt. To continually berate the man we have in charge after what we've endured recently is so short sighted he should buy shares in Specsavers.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Still no MOTM thread! Says it all really.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I think people are still in shock - I know I am. You can pinpoint the moment our season began to fall apart - Liam Davis' injury against Sutton United. Come back soon Liam, we need you!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Reaction from Gary

Modgull wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 09:02 Still no MOTM thread! Says it all really.
Have put one up now.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You can't actually put it down to one person but it does seem that the injuries to Davis, Vincent and Reid at the same time does seem to have been the turning point.

Certainly Vincent is underrated and has been a big loss as well.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Form falling apart ? . . . . Sadly since the time we were all so chuffed by the arrival of Janneh.

I'm a GJ fan but I noticed him commenting that some Players were not good enough at this level a few weeks ago and I was surprised. I wonder if he has lost the Players a little with all these implied changes and the Keating / Goalie issue. I agree GJ is the greatest but there's been a few abrupt ends to his tenures as a Manager so we musn't take stuff for granted. Maybe a dramatic gesture of renewal from GJ would help e.g. whipping that beard off !

4 defeats in a row is gruesome but GJ can sort it out with the Fans behind the Team and GJ, and GJ behind his Players in his usual way. I'm hoping to see some games over Christmas so I hope things look up soon !!

Just seen that GJ video posted - probably the same as on Devon Radio yesterday - GJ sounded miffed but positive enough. GLA

GLA
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

A positive from yesterday, yes only one!! I thought McNulty did very well. Quick feet and direct. In the first half most of our positive play came through him. I was a bit surprised to see him replaced so early.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

budegull1954 wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 09:23 I think people are still in shock - I know I am. You can pinpoint the moment our season began to fall apart - Liam Davis' injury against Sutton United. Come back soon Liam, we need you!
I think it stems from when Cameron started supporting that ridiculous beard.
Time for a shave i think ;-)
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

That was shambolic and embarrassing to watch.

Our central defence has not been fit for purpose for most of the season.

What is Aaron Downes role ?? I may be wrong in my assumption, but does he not provide coaching to the defensive unit - especially having been a half tidy defender in his day ?

If he doesn't, what benefit is he bringing to the team - perhaps we should look to exchange him for a defence coach?