Eastleigh v Torquay United 26/11/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

arcadia wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 15:30 We started well and created several chances and we just could not take one of them and we had 2/3 rd of possession first half the other 1/3 rd Eastleigh scored 3 goals very quickly which kept us very quiet. The first goal was 4 yards offside when their player crossed the ball it looked as though the linesman was going to give it then the ball went across the goal to the other side of play then going back 10 yards and crossed in again the play was continued and they got their penalty the referee should have taken the play back as they gained an advantage from an offside decision.

Second half we attacked and scored two goals in the first 15 minutes of the half Keating with a brilliant diving header then Andrews hit a shot from 10 yards which hit the back of the net and sent it bulging. We had a penalty decision go against us and their keeper just managed to tip over a cert goal.

The spirit in the side kept going but just could not get the equalizer.

Can't help commenting on Jennah, he is working his socks off in the wrong area's he needs to be on the end of passes not chasing balls out wide which playing a 3-5-2 makes him do when the wing back is not forward enough. We created enough chances to score 6 tonight but with no defensive midfield we will always need to score 2 or 3 goals to win a game. Easleigh had that purple patch where they were brilliant but we had very bad decisions go against us.
Pretty good assessment. I was in line with the linesman before the penalty was given and it looked way offside and the linesman looked as if he changed his mind.
We made them look a good team first half by giving them time to pass the ball. Second half we pressed high up the pitch and they looked a different team struggling to string two passes together. We need to do the same from the off on Saturday. I think the current squad is strong enough to push for promotion but injury's on our creative players is taking its toll. But, as shown in the second half we still have the quality to win matches but our work rate has to be high for the full 90minutes all over the pitch!!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Offside, just look at the Vlog form Eastleigh Fan on You Tube @ 7:08 mins
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

culmstockgull wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 19:05 Is this a forum for people to comment only while we are winning and saying nice things about United, I thought the site rules mention words to the effect that you should not be insulting or abusive, words that seems to have been overlooked by many members. Are there a minimum amount of postings required before people do not dive down your throat every time you post something that does not match a small clique of members who believe their views carry more weight than others.
Who is being 'insulting and abusive'? My issue with DawlishMatt is that his postings aren't balanced. He only comes on here when we're going through a difficult patch, but is very quiet when we're winning. His view is that the players that Gary johnson has signed aren't good enough for this league. I disagree with him. He also likes to have a pop at the manager when I think 99% of us think Gary Johnson has been a breath of fresh air for a club that was in its death throes, and we remain fully behind him. It's nothing about 'a small clique of members who believe their views carry more weight than others'. It's about fair, balanced posts. Read Arcadia's latest post as a very good example.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No its a forum for you to only comment when we are losing.

You've hit the nail on the head there. When Culmstockgull called for Reid to be dropped in favour of Duku (and Reid scored a hat trick) CG went quiet for a month.

Now we've got the worst defence in the league - cause we let a couple of crosses in last night. No doubt the first cross was from the pass which was apparently four yards offside. Injuries, Shit refereeing decisions (remember the clear foul for Suttons winner)

I thought I was negative but jesus you are a fecking nightmare.

I hate losing but at least I can accept there are reasons behind it -i'm not twisted enough to revel in it.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Offside for the first. Second goal is a fluke. Hollands has his shot blocked and somehow its rebounded straight to him. The third goal is the biggest fluke you will see all season.

On those highlights we have suffered some rank bad luck there.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 19:05 Is this a forum for people to comment only while we are winning and saying nice things about United, I thought the site rules mention words to the effect that you should not be insulting or abusive, words that seems to have been overlooked by many members. Are there a minimum amount of postings required before people do not dive down your throat every time you post something that does not match a small clique of members who believe their views carry more weight than others.
Thats true - but if you dish out insults - then have to expect it back.
I dont think nobody had overlooked that point youve made.
All some are saying is that he doesnt say anything in way of praise for the team or GJ when we are winning, but cant wait to moan when we lose.
Postings or views with more weight? dont think thats right either.
Perhaps he could suggest a credible replacement for GJ and then other posters might be interested.
No matter what anyone says, injuries are playing a part.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

The reality is that we are missing a large number of players who would normally start. Our backups are good enough but are not getting the luck their effort deserves. Are they perfect? Of course not, we're a National League team full of youngsters learning the game, cut them some slack. Do we have the best manager in this league and probably the next one up? Yes, by a country mile. I am not a rosetinter, never have been. But I recognise a 100% committed, competent, intelligent, well connected, professional, respected manager when I see one.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Supernickywroe. Fans forums are about people letting off steam and expressing their opinions. As regards Gary johnson, I like most supporters believe he is by far the best manager in the lower league's by a country mile. That doesn't mean that he doesn't makes mistakes, of course he does. That doesn't make him a bad manager. Take Jose morinio for example. He recently became the manager of spurs and he said that during his time at Manchester United, he made many mistakes. This doesn't make him a bad manager.
If you look back to Tuesday, Johnson dropped Mcdonald who I thought was outstanding at Chorley. This in my opinion was a mistake. The reluctantance to play Kozala, a striker when Jamie Reid got injured and his seemingly reluctantance to give Ruri Keating a game, although he played and scored against Eastleigh, I also see as a mistake. Rightly or wrongly, that is my opinion, but that doesn't make Johnson a poor manager.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

None of those decisions would have made a jot of difference to the result on Tuesday night.

We might not be having a good time of it at the moment but when your lucks out your lucks out as it clearly was at Eastleigh. Either goalkeeper would not have made a jot of difference.

With all due respect to Keating no manager would pick him ahead of Reid and Janneh.

As for Kozala (as you incorrectly call him) - you have chose to ignore the blindingly obvious whilst banging on with your ludicrous nitpicking. With the team short on confidence, missing all its most experienced players, and with an extremely low average age, Johnson is hardly likely to throw in the most inexperienced player of the lot. That's just a recipe for disaster.

If you come up with a reasoned argument for something then all well and good - but it looks like you are scrabbling around trying to find something to moan about.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Brucie, if you read the posting I made on Reid, I did not say he should be dropped, I said he should be rested, the majority of enlightened managers have a rotational policy, the way he was running suggested he was carrying an injury, I was not aware at the time that he had a long standing foot problem but if you play practically every match for well over a season and spend most of the 90 getting clogged he deserved a rest. If you argue for a fact based comment then the fact our defence is poor cannot be argued, we concede more than 1.5 goals a game, every game, now some would argue its not having a midfield to protect the defence but bad luck, poor referring, poor linesmen, bad pitch, long distance to travel and injuries can only be blamed for so much. Eventually you come to the conclusion that certain players are not up to the mark, if that is being negative so be it.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

With so many forgettable seasons cumulating in the disastrous appointment of Gary Owers, a manager tasked with transforming the Torquay mood and became swallowed by the whole of it, I find it difficult to criticise the current team/manager who subsequently win promotion and currently are still within shouting distance of the play-offs. We have been cursed by injuries, creating a dip in form but when I see the like of Wrexham and Chesterfield in a relegation dog-fight I relive those forgettable seasons and am thankful for everything this season provides.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Our first 11 is good enough to beat anyone in this division so once we've got a fully fit squad I'm sure we'll push on to be real contenders for promotion. I can't place any blame on anything but our crippling injury list.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

My take on this is as follows. At the beginning of the season I thought it would all be about adjusting to a higher division and consolidation. I didn't expect a serious promotion challenge and up until the injury crisis the team was exceeding my expectations.
The downturn in form can be explained entirely by the injury situation. Therefore I am more than satisfied with the way things are going. Support the team and manager; if you can't do that find something else to do in a Saturday afternoon.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Exactly what I expected and posted last season,I thought we would consolidate in mid table this season and the following season try for promotion,until the injuries it seemed we were a season ahead of ourselves and without such bad luck injury wise we would probably be in the top three by now.However bad luck isn't permanent and when a few injuries clear up I'm sure we'll push on again and be thereabouts for promotion come the season's end.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Conor is back for Saturday get in