FA Cup - Torquay United v Maidstone United - ALL TICKET

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Always come on here looking to praise our team but today we were not at the races. As GJ said they were better all over the pitch!! We just didn't turn up! I don't blame the pitch as most of our young players are bought up on these surfaces nowadays!! Agree with others that our bench looked light when you need to change the things but that's mainly down to our injury's. Put yourself in GJ shoes, do you throw on Duku or persist with Reid and Janneh when things aren't going well with 15 mins to go. I personally would stick with the pair on the pitch. This needs to be addressed in January!!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

grockle wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 21:25 I wouldn't even bother with a MOM thread. We were very poor. :scarf:

League matches only I think
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

As bad as we seem to have been today does it really come as a surprise, it’s the fa cup. Are we the only team to lose to a team in a lower league. Yes our injuries could have resulted in the defeat today, but let’s not forget this team has won 7 out of the last 8. Beat Sutton next Saturday which personally is more significant in my opinion we could be top of the league.
Lucy
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Why oh why can't we get through to meet a big team in the next round, every year it's the same :'( :'(
And every important game we just don't show up, I hope against Woking and Yeovil and a few others we show up when the pressure is on and not Be shrinking violets.

Football does make you :Z :Z at times
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Very hard to take any positives from yesterday game, we were as people have already stated second best in most departments, we cannot blame the surface, we were practicing on a similar pitch all week. Reid and Janneh were struggling for scraps, Buse and Vincent were totally dominated, one seemed to be the proverbial rabbit in the headlights and the other well it if was boxing the towel would have been thrown in to prevent further harm, Wynter was turned inside out most of the game by a part timer, but my strongest feelings are reserved for Kalala, on the few occasions he went forward he was magic, but he would not track back and at least twice he bottled out of tackles, you never know which side of him is going to turn up, one game he terrorises, the next he is anonymous , I think Johnson has alluded to the fact that he is high maintenance but at this level we do need eleven players willing to battle. With four midfielders now injured and a left back place to fill the run up to the new year is going to be very difficult.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Why would the towel have been thrown in? we lost 1-0 for Christ sake. Do you seriously think that practicising on an artificial surface for a few days gives us the same advantage as a team who plays on this surface week in week out.

Predictably you come on here and start carping when we lose but say nothing when we win week in week out.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Just looking at the subs bench yesterday tells more of the story than people's view about towels. The current crop of injuries seem long term and even if it's short term loans the club will I think need to think about things. I am sure GJ would not wish to be this stretched in the midfield.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

I think their style of play was better suited to the artificial surface. I think they were far more direct than us causing our defence to make mistakes. I also thought we gave them too much time/space in our half. They pressed us giving us less time to control the ball on a quick surface. As if going out the cup wasn't bad enough the journey home was a nightmare!!!!!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

For information Brucie its not the 1-0 that annoys me but I made the effort to turn up , shame the team didn't, we are the full time pro outfit who have to do nothing but play football. If you had been there you would have been hard pushed to decide who the professional team were, there was no gulf in class and they were still running as fast at 90 as we would expect from our players, so sorry for not fawning over an appalling team display but as I pay to watch my opinion is as important as anyone else's.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Must admit, agree for those who travelled spent their time and money, they have every right to have a moan and whinge if the teams put on a complete no-show, been there done that a few times over the years, never complain about losing, sometimes the manner of which you've lost sticks in the throat.

Didn't go yesterday, but my own view is we shouldn't be beating ourselves up over getting knocked out, Orient lost at home to Marldon and Tiptree, Macclesfield stuffed at home by Kingstonian. Yes if you get to the third round you might get a premier league team, a good payday and some prestige, however you could get to the third round and draw Rochdale.

Not to disappointed, there's a much bigger picture in play here, the stated ambition was promotion to the football league, that's worth a 6 figure sum in extra income season on season, not some on off glory, if we'd have got through a few rounds and it cost us promotion, how would we have felt then.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I went to the game on Saturday after hearing Garry say that we are not concerned with their all weather pitch last week but I can tell you I believe he said that to try and get the players focused on the game.

You could see the passing and tackling was no where near as sharp as the team has been this season. Our defenders were thinking when to tackle because the ball was running faster and bouncing higher. Normally a player would slide tackle and Liam Davies may not have injured himself as well he slid into a player.

Maidstone had a way of playing and from their keeper to the attack they knew how to play on the surface because it's been drilled into them. Their keeper from goal kicks hit the ball very wide to stop the ball from coming straight back, they got the ball in our half and pressured the ball and we did not change our game we played from the back and lost possession because we did not judge the run of the ball and in my opinion all pitches should be grass.
Oxford last season was the same and I felt this before the match Garry was being to kind about the pitch he did not mention like a true professional but I had to give my opinion on what I have seen. I believe Garry is saying the same under his breath.

We did miss Andrews quality on the left hand side but he needs to stop back chatting at the referees. :-D
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

The result was poor, the biggest worry for me is Liam Davis. Hope it’s not long term. I’m worried! We cannot afford to have Vincent go back to LB. bring someone in if it’s serious
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I would expect Ryan Dickson to be recalled from his loan if Liam Davis is going to be out for any considerable time.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

As usual, there are far more contributions to this site when the team loses badly.
I'm not gloating, Whitby Town lost 1-2 away to a lower league team in the Trophy. There is a new site for Whitby Town, the old Fans Forum has been taken down and lost, and so there's no place for criticism and dissent. Believe me TUFC is a bastion of democratic thought compared to the Stalinist Whitby Town.
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

Wivelgull, You are right of course about the numbers of posts but I think that the posters have been very kind to the team.
As has been pointed out the only ones who seemed to turn up were the supporters which is so disappointing. Everything worth saying about the performance, lack of options off the bench and more has already been said so I will leave it at that. Nothing can be done now of course but the financial side of this result should not be overlooked. That was £36,000 which has gone with £54,000 up for grabs in the next round. We are all aware of the financial position of the club and potential windfalls even of these amounts should be grabbed with both hands.
And like many others heading back afterwards it just strengthened my hatred of the M25 in the rain with its queues ....and the closing of the M3 junction was just rubbing it in. Not a good day and one to forget !!