Clarke Osborne

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

Also it has been said a players value is only what a club are willing to pay...
A desperate club in January in a relegation scrap with money in the bank such as Luton would quite comfortably pay out 1 million for a vnl striker in hot form....
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Well north of 50000 , I would guess 150000 plus

Not sure how to compare to David graham , if I'm honest I'd prefer David graham , just that is. That might change though
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

If he doubles his tally this season then his stock will increase dramatically but being realistic is far from being naive. I didn't say we wouldn't value him higher but all those players above went from League Clubs, not the Conference. There's a huge difference. But hey, we're all entitled to our opinions.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

Seriously, Luton?? Why on earth would Jamie Reid go to that shithole? Not a chance in hell. If he does go, it will be to somewhere with a management team and Club with the same ethic and enthusiasm shown by our manger. I would suggest that Bristol city would be a more likely option or Bournemouth. Luton??
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

I do tend to trust GJ but finding a replacement regular goal scorer is a uniquely different problem. Duku was his striker find this summer & although I haven’t seen him to see for myself by all accounts people don’t feel he’d be our talisman.
Giving a player a “walk out figure” is very stupid of any club as that is all you are ever going to get when a big club come dangling big wages... unless you can trigger an auction between suitors. If it’s one club they know that’s all they have to pay ( even if the player has boosted his game considerably further since the figure was set)
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

davethegull2 wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 05:29 Seriously, Luton?? Why on earth would Jamie Reid go to that shithole? Not a chance in hell.
He's a professional footballer - he'll go to whomever offers him the best money and the best chance to further his career. That could easily be Luton.

I happen to think he'll push his career further if he gets promoted with us and then starts next season in League 2 well - I could see a decent offer coming in January 2021, in that case. But, any sort of promising deal is certain to make him think - he's what, 26? and coming into his prime. It's not like he's going to be earning enough money with us to retire from football and play golf forever, so I'd never begrudge him thinking about his future.

With that said, he's under contract so it has to be right for TUFC. Promotion back to the FL is likely to be worth significantly more than what we could get in a transfer fee, so given our aspiration a move seems unlikely to be something that the club will encourage.

I think we also need to appreciate that Gary Johnson has enabled Reid to flourish since he arrived at the club. That sort of relationship with the manager might mean a level of loyalty that would make Reid want to see it through and get us promoted.

If we don't go up this season I think Reid will definitely leave in the summer, though.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

All this talk like Jamie Reid would want to leave! He's already said he is aiming for us to win the league this season. He is at his hometown club, in the form of his life playing under the greatest manager he has ever worked for. For the last 18 months he has been on truly world class goalscoring form, prior to that his career was heading in only one direction - had Johnson not arrived I'm sure he would have been stuck around the Conference South for ever and a day. Seeing him asking for a five year contract without bothering to ask for a release clause would surprise me less than him asking to speak to Luton or anyone else should an offer be made. As for a £50000 valuation, come off it! Yes, it may only have been at 6th & 5th levels of the pyramid but the boy has been scoring for fun for nigh on eighteen months. Goalscorers don't grow on trees, especially not in January. Yes the level is important but not as important as the ability to put the ball in the onion bag!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For a start the ability to score goals isn't the be all and end all, in terms of a players valuation being set, or agreed between two clubs, there are many factors ( which I'm sure we all know ) such as length of players remaining contract, one key factor, amongst many, and one of the most important the players age and future development and sell on potential.

It has to be remembered that Jamie Reid is now 25, he will be 26 prior to the start of next season, he's 'not' 21 and scoring goals for fun, there's little or no room left for future development, the window for Jamie Reid's development is closing fast. So any buying club are more likely to be looking at Jamie Reid as player they could bring in, fit into to their first team squad now, and get perhaps two good goal scoring seasons out of, before moving on for less than their initial outlay, maybe even on a free.

So when Dave SG talks about 50K he's probably closer to the right ballpark, than most of us would like, and care to admit.

The other reason why Jamie Reid's age is very important here, we know his stock has never been higher, no player knows when that serious injury may occur, or that drastic loss of form. So should a Championship/ League 1 (don't see the point for him to jump to a League 2 club) Reidy may already know it could be the one and only shot he'll get, of competing at a much higher level in the game, so would Jamie Reid be thinking I'm a super star here, it's my hometown club, nope if he's still got any ambition left in the game, if the right offer comes, regardless of whether it's Luton or anywhere else, I would expect him to take it, I'd be happy for the lad also, he's come through the school of hard knocks in football, hung in their, he deserve a chance.

However all that said, any hypothetical valuation are neither here nor their, as already said by a few on the thread, and their right. The clubs stated ambition for this season is promotion to the football league, you don't get that by selling your star striker, whether the club got 50K or 300K neither sum puts and dent in the loans owed to Clarke Osbourne for a start, just a mere pin hole, promotion to the FL and selling the club on is where he gets his money back.

But as most have already realized, to buy in a ready made replacement will probably cost most if not all of the money received for Jamie Reid, so what's the point of selling him ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

For a player that has had a bad time at Torquay and turned it around I think it would take a lot for him to move on. MacDonald went for a £100,000 and he was a defender £100,000 the club might sell with clauses.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

arcadia wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 19:55 For a player that has had a bad time at Torquay and turned it around I think it would take a lot for him to move on. MacDonald went for a £100,000 and he was a defender £100,000 the club might sell with clauses.
Depends what kind of clauses you're talking about. More money for more performances? Ok, I can see that.

But a sell on clause for a player at his age doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Teigngull wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 15:36 All I can say is be careful what you wish for Jamie.
The grass isn't always greener & in GJ you have the perfect manager at this time in your career.
Two examples of good & bad decision making from players is
1, Ben Whitfield, totally ostracized by his previous manager & now reaping the benefits in having someone to look after him properly, whether it be a kick up the arse or an arm around the shoulder.
2, Mark Loram, an absolute genius at TUFC but when the bright lights of London came calling was found wanting & couldn't hack it & his football suffered as a result until he came back home & then carried on where he left off .

Yep I agree, It's only with GJ that Jamie has shown what he can do (at Times) and I think he would find it hard going elsewhere
As you said the grass isn't always greener and some times a one club player is better. And soon we could be playing in higher leagues, and he could be back in a lower league because it all went wrong. Sorry to sound negative but if it ain't broken why fix it.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For goodness sake, Gary Johnson hasn't sprinkled magic dust on Jamie Reid. What Jaime Reid has benefitted from, is some of the best personal coaching and development he's ever had in his career.

Gary Jonson did what no other pervious TUFC manager either did, or had the ability to do, which was recognise the type of player Reid was, they've worked with him , to get into better attacking positions more consistently, and worked with him, to make better use of the players around him, it's this that's made him a better all around player, and help Reidy to score more goals on a consistent basis, and that's where the confidence has come from, no where else.

These are football skills JR has developed, they're are for life, and transferable to another club. If an acceptable offer comes in, and fits personally for Jamie Reid, if he's got any ambition in football, being it he's entering the late 20's phase of his career in terms of age, I would expect him, Jamie Reid to do the right thing for Jamie Reid, and move on to something bigger and better.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

forevertufc wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 19:19 ...... if he's got any ambition in football, being it he's entering the late 20's phase of his career in terms of age, I would expect him, Jamie Reid to do the right thing for Jamie Reid, and move on to something bigger and better.
I agree with your view totally. Some people on here are really kidding themselves if they think that any player would turn down the opportunity to play at a higher level and earn more money and instead play for a club in our position.
The best we can hope for is if a larger club comes in for him, Johnson can strike a deal to keep him until the end of the season.
Mind you it's a pity about the magic dust, could have used it in Duku.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

So 25 is over the hill now? If he went to Luton in January and continued scoring at the rate he currently is, or even slightly less I could quite easily see a bigger Championship team offering 7 figures in 12-18 months time. He's still on the upward curve and has at least 5 years left at the top of his game before he might start to drop off.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He'd struggle in League 2.

Top championship club? Get real!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com