Clarke Osborne

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Gulliball wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 13:57 That should be the goal for both him and the club - keep the squad together, keep the run going and there is a real chance of promotion this season. That is worth more to us than say a £100k fee in January, and he'll have more (and better) offers in the summer when he's available for free and is marketed as a 30-goal striker (at current rate) from the NL.
It should be remembered that promotion to the EFL is worth around £600-800k. So yes, the impetus has to be on keeping Reid till the end of the season. Accepting something like £100k for him is just like cashing in a betting slip early when your bet is 5 nil up with two minutes to go.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 19:16 It should be remembered that promotion to the EFL is worth around £600-800k. So yes, the impetus has to be on keeping Reid till the end of the season. Accepting something like £100k for him is just like cashing in a betting slip early when your bet is 5 nil up with two minutes to go.
That is exactly what I was thinking. :goodpost:
Lucy
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I think this thread needs to be renamed!
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I agree - something like 'Jamie Reid's current value'!!??
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Are Exeter entitled to any cut from a Jamie Reid sale? Often there is some sort of sell on clause. :(
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

I'm pretty sure Exeter released him and then we signed him as he was a bosman... Could be wrong.

Also selling Jamie Reid now wouldn't make financial sense seeing as we would at most get 200,000 for him... Like others have said, promotion to the football league and all there extra endorsements that comes with it would be worth much more than cashing in on him now, I have it also on a good source that it was a 2 year deal he signed.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

People need to get real with their valuations. Her's a player (One I've always rated, personally) who has had a successful season in local leagues, had a brilliant start at Conference level but is by no means what you could call a proven League striker. The kind of figures posted on here are way off the mark. Yes it would be nice if at the right time we got that kind of transfer fee but he's not going to command much more than £50k at best right now. As Plainmoor78 has said, with the rewards on offer for attaining League status far outweigh what Reid would command.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 14:38 if at the right time we got that kind of transfer fee but he's not going to command much more than £50k at best right now.
You may well be right. Luton Town whom are supposedly interested in Reid brought in 15 players this season - 5 on free transfer, 7 on loan and two without a club. They did bring in a goalkeeper for 1.5 million (given they have conceded more goals than any other club, not money well spent). On the other hand the players they released brought in £10.5 million. Not exactly a spendthrift progressive club - no wonder they are in a relegation dog-fight. Is this the type of club that would appeal to Reid that a new 3 year Torquay contract could not overcome.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Any transfer fee (should he go in Jan or at the end of the season if he is on a 2 year deal) will only be as good or bad as the release clause he is certain to have in his contract (unless he employees Mickey Mouse as an agent!).

Talk of what he is worth to us and what we should be prepared to accept for him will not even come into the discussion if another club activates this. Of course Reidy can turn down a transfer but it is highly unlikely Torquay United can (even if they wanted to).
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Agreed a number of valuations appear well over the top. Dave's top valuation of £50k is close to my estimation.

I hope he goes, simply because if he does he'll still be scoring for us in November and December. Further, do you trust in Gary to find a replacement, I for one do. You never know, the replacement may be better!

So before you all attack me, I want him to say and us win the league, but we must be realistic. In Gary I trust, he will get it right.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I think that Southampton Gull's valuation of Jamie Reid is about right, but we have to remember that the January transfer window often sees players being sold for rediculiously inflated transfer fees. At this stage of the season, many clubs panic buy, especially struggling clubs such as Luton Town. These clubs are fighting relegation and so we often see hugely inflated transfer fees during this period.
I believe that we we signed Jamie Reid on a free transfer following a loan period from Exeter, I seem to recall that he was always getting injured during his time with Exeter.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular

Post by DWB »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 14:38 People need to get real with their valuations. Her's a player (One I've always rated, personally) who has had a successful season in local leagues, had a brilliant start at Conference level but is by no means what you could call a proven League striker. The kind of figures posted on here are way off the mark. Yes it would be nice if at the right time we got that kind of transfer fee but he's not going to command much more than £50k at best right now. As Plainmoor78 has said, with the rewards on offer for attaining League status far outweigh what Reid would command.

Totally agree and all this talk about Jamie Read going is a symptom of our success and I for one don’t enjoy it as it seems some people seem resigned to losing him. He is happy where he is along with several other players. When we win promotion to the league that is the time for players/manager etc to take stock and cash in on our success and move forward with other players wanting to join us!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Interesting to compare Reid with another Torquay born player who came through the Exeter youth scheme - Ollie Watkins
Is there really such a huge difference between League Two and the National League ? Watkins , only 6 goals in 52 games in his final season for Exeter went to Brentford for 1.8 million. Is he really that much better than Reid ? 36 times better! Think he's worth a bit more than £50,000 .
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

I think he is worth far more than £50k myself. Reasons:

1) Promotion is worth more to us than £50k so its not tempting to sell at that level
2) The current market in football has meant in the last 5 years or so, transfers have sky rocketed. E.G Kieffer Moore went for £2.5 million in the summer to Wigan - I'm not saying Reid is worth that or close to that but it is a 6 figure fee for me
3) The gap between the NL and League 2 isn't really that much so making the step up is totally within reach - or in other words a League 1 or 2 side could get a good deal here, even if they paid £250k to beat off competition

Hopefully Jamie signs a new deal, we put in a good release and sell on clause and then we can negotiate in the summer with the club able to get a great deal
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by smw89 »

I think the majority of you with your small valuations are being very naive (I'm glad your not the club accountant) ...

If you go back ten years ago or so we signed Leon Constantine for 80K and your saying a proven goalscorer one level below to where we were back then is only worth 50k is laughable 😂 plus you have to take into account his age and the type of striker he is.
However, keeping hold of him, get us promoted and we'd see his valuation treble...

Vardy got signed for 1 million in league 2
Ollie Watkins 1.8m
Matt Grimes 1.5m
Jayden Stockley 750,000
Ampadu 1.5m
Macualey Bonne 500,000

Even David Graham went for 200,000 15years ago and I'd say Reid is a much better finisher..

50k is very naive