Torquay v Barrow 26th October

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Whilst I agree overall we played well, we have to address the 20-minute spell in the second half where we lowered our tempo and allowed Barrow to gain some hope. During this time, our passing accuracy was awful and our decision making poor. Personally, I felt that we should have shown intent and brought on Kalala earlier to get the 4th goal and kill the game.

We could have easily found ourselves in trouble had Barrow managed to score during this time. We must learn to go out and bury teams when we get opportunities like this.

Another mistake at the back for the 1st Barrow goal with Kovolan and the defence indecisive in terms of taking responsibility for dealing with the ball - and not for the first time this season. There was no call from anyone. Taking nothing away from the Barrow lads finish, although how he got past two defenders at such a tight angle is a mystery.

Defensively I think we must improve in this area.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Another highly entertaining match on a wintry day at Plainmoor.
All credit to the 76 Barrow fans who made the 700 mile round trip to support their team.
Barrow were physically very strong like all Northern teams but were undone by the quality of our slick passing game which was exciting to behold.
The more they play together the better they get.
Vincent, Little, Buse and Whitfield were all excellent in different ways which enabled Jamie Reid to be better supported and not isolated.
With Gary Johnson confirming Saikou Janneh will sign on loan I feel our only weak link is Goalkeeper.Neither keeper has the experience at this level to keep coming way out the 6 yard box as Lucas did thus presenting Barrow with the opening goal.
With Wrexham losing and Halifax getting hammered 5-0 at Bromley we have a great opportunity to really move into contention this week but I acknowledge there are no easy games.
4 of our next 6 games are against teams in the bottom half.We are already the leading scorers in our League but Jamie and Saikou will be a real handful and big strong defenders usually have one weakness. Coping with strikers with real pace.
COYY
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

As Portugull says we are the top scorers in the league but if we are serious about challenging for the top spot we really must stop conceding so many goals , only the bottom two and Fylde have conceded more. Cundy and Cameron seem to be forming a good partnership in the middle but for me there are still too many crosses coming in, we should be busting a gut to stop these.
Just on another point I thought Joe Lewis was superb when he came on, winning the ball, intercepting, using it simply and well, he must be very frustrated at not getting more game time, presumably Swansea are happy with it - saying that there is just no place for him in the starting line up at the moment. What a good player though.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

desperado wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 19:56 As Portugull says we are the top scorers in the league but if we are serious about challenging for the top spot we really must stop conceding so many goals , only the bottom two and Fylde have conceded more. Cundy and Cameron seem to be forming a good partnership in the middle but for me there are still too many crosses coming in, we should be busting a gut to stop these.
Just on another point I thought Joe Lewis was superb when he came on, winning the ball, intercepting, using it simply and well, he must be very frustrated at not getting more game time, presumably Swansea are happy with it - saying that there is just no place for him in the starting line up at the moment. What a good player though.
I think your right but the way we play is we score two they score one but on Saturday for the first time I thought we were a bit more solid. Jake should be played more central as he lacks a little pace defending in the wide position. That is not saying he's not good enough but to get the best out of him I believe he may end up there at some time. Jake tends to carve out a lot of chances and he scores his fare amount of goals. Whitfield has got pace but lacks a little defensively but still a good player. I think Garry believes we could get by by scoring more than the opposition as we are on fire at the moment but the goals against are near the worst in the league. Cundy is an improvement and Cameron has been consistent but there seems to be too :-D much space between the fullbacks and the wide players but we could still get in the playoffs or better as the squad is fantastic for a club like us. I am sure if there is an injury Joe would get back in as yes he did well on Saturday. :keepie:
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

desperado wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 19:56 As Portugull says we are the top scorers in the league but if we are serious about challenging for the top spot we really must stop conceding so many goals , only the bottom two and Fylde have conceded more. Cundy and Cameron seem to be forming a good partnership in the middle but for me there are still too many crosses coming in, we should be busting a gut to stop these.
I thought the same about Joe Lewis. Would be good to see him get more opportunities.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Barrow FC to appeal Red Card for Rooney.

Having watched the highlights his right hand clearly prevented a goal so I am amazed they think they can get the Red Card rescinded.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Was the red card for the handball, or something he said to the referee?
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Grockle, someone posted earlier that Rooney shouted, "you tw*t" at the Ref. That'd be enough LOL

(( Whoops - update - just seen that Barrow's appeal WAS successful . . .

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/1799890 ... ay-united/ ))
Last edited by Swatcat on 28 Oct 2019, 23:55, edited 2 times in total.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

20 minutes + highlights on the Barrow game and I thought the Gulls looked very good indeed. Highlights can be misleading but the Gulls seem to be playing better and better. Armani Little's injury is a blow - he looked 'on fire'. Quite brilliant. Good luck to him.

Goalkeepers - McDonald's moment of glory was a definite mistake and Covolan made a similar blunder Saturday - that said Barrow did very well to score from it. I'd guess the Jury is out but maybe McDonald will be back for the FA Cup game.

COYY