Torquay v Barrow 26th October

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree , Vincent had a very good game as did Buse
Cameron and Cundy were immense and dealt with Quigley very well. Difficult to pick a MOM , some great performances, Davis was terrific too
We played some very good football but at 3-2 we looked a little nervy and stopped playing and started wasting time a bit, we can't play like that!
Duncan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Duncan »

DWB wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 18:45 Thought today, especially in the first half, we played some of our best football of the season with quick decisive passing typified by the first goal and deserved to win against a Barrow side who got more and more ill disciplined as the first half went on.
Can anyone enlighten me on events after the half-time whistle was blown. Did our management team keep the team on the pitch to avoid confronting Incensed Barrow players or did something else happen?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

That can only be described as a very important win for Torquay, against a very good Barrow team, you could see through out the game why Barrow were one of the divisions in form teams, and just why, they like us are at the right end of the league.

I felt prior to Barrows early goal our team were edging the possession, and playing some of the best football I've seen for a few weeks, even after the Barrow goal 11 v 11 thought there was always something in the game for our team, so it came as no surprise, when a quick and slick passing move on the edge of the box put Reid in one on one with their keeper, and as we now expect, Reidy finished with ease, just what our team deserved on the run of play.

The game continued to ebb and flow, both sides playing good football and asking questions of each others defence, however it would be Torquay who would be ahead at the break, thanks to a controversial penalty, from what I saw and remember (it all happened so quick) the Barrow player 'did' appear to handle the ball and in turn deny a goal scoring opportunity, the video may show something different, I believe, that's what I saw, in which case the award of a penalty and resulting red card must surely be the correct decision.

Early part of the second half was totally dominated by Torquay, as you expect, a man up, and taking the lead before half time, however the third goal tuned out to be decisive, as once again our back line went all 'keystone cops' and conceded what can only be described as a pathetic goal in terms of defending, 3.2 (11v10) game on, and shouldn't have been.

However having that goal lead, gave a cushion, as the 10 men of Barrow preceded to cause us all sorts of problems even striking our crossbar, and for a good 10-15 minutes a nervousness was evident around the ground, Barrow a man down but always looked in the game after their second goal.

Thankfully Gary Johnson was able to bring on a fit again Edwards and Kalala, their pace and trickery was always going to stifle the Barrow full backs who were getting forward with ease, this had the effect of swinging things back our way, and the fourth goal would wrap up the points.

Only downside was, Little, who was starting to look like a player coming back into the early season form, went down late on clutching his hamstring, hopefully more of tweak than a tear. From what I can gather the travelling Barrow fans were provided with a case of beer, another rice touch from our club or sponsors.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Thanks for the club forking out on drainage this summer. That game would have been off early last season. Despite the conditions we played some very good stuff at times. Our defence is always going to concede though and despite a man down you could see how useful they were and came back strongly. I was down that end for the penalty and although it hit his hand the sending off was a terrible decision. No wonder they were upset but we deserved our victory. Apparently Boots and Laces sent some beer to the Barrow supporters coach
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

I dont think he was sent off for the alleged handball. He was sent off after he told the referee he was a "tw@t" at the top of his voice looking straight at him. The ref only seemed to reach for a card after that.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

According to FA rules:

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES
using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

So looked to me that him screaming at the ref that he was a tw@t was the reason for the red card, rather than the 'handball' incident itself.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Little said in a tweet that he hoped the injury would not be too bad
TUST number 080
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Uptongull wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 20:26 I dont think he was sent off for the alleged handball. He was sent off after he told the referee he was a "tw@t" at the top of his voice looking straight at him. The ref only seemed to reach for a card after that.
That would explain it. I think it was handball and therefore a penalty, but I felt a red card was a bit harsh as the ball hit his hand rather than deliberate handball (I may be wrong though). But him calling the ref a **** fits the player. The number 8 was an arsey little sod who should have been booked before the penalty, so no sympathy.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

That **** that was sent off was Wayne Rooneys brother acording to BT Sport
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

arcadia wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 21:45 That **** that was sent off was Wayne Rooneys brother acording to BT Sport
Explains it all, gobby little scouser.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

It was ironic that the penalty that was given was by far the least obvious of the five that could have been called, including one we were lucky to get away with.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

A very entertaining game today. United played some very slick stuff but Barrow were a tough side who attacked in force whenever they broke. Despite that I think they only had seven attempts on goal and Covolan actually only made one save. United had 12, 9 of which were on target.

No one had a bad game today although Cundy got a bit casual towards the end. My MOTM was Jamie Reid, closely followed by Little and Vincent. Shame about Little's injury - hopefully Saiko Janneh's return will fill the hole until he is fit again.

2,280 attendance was very good given the dreadful conditions.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

What a win that was after the disappointment losing to Notts County, let’s not forget barrow Had won 7 games on the trot. With sako coming back I beginning to feel the best has yet to come
Lucy
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Have to hand it to Vincent and Buse, those boys have done exceptionally well. Thought we may struggle when we lost Hall, CLE and Little but they have got better with each game . Guess Whitfield will support Reid Tuesday with KK or Opi on the right and hopefully Saikou on the bench. What a great performance from the pitch, the club must be really pleased , mind you it helps not having Truro kick it to bits.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

What an important win that was. Considering the conditions both teams played really well. You could see Barrows tactics of drawing us short then going long into the channels. You can see why Barrows forwards have scored goals. They have pace and strength and you could see by their first goal what they are all about. The first 20 min was pretty even but Barrow's made the break through with a well taken goal from a tough angle. Defensively it was poor from us.
I thought Vincent in particular played very well in the first half. We were causing them problems with Whitfield and Little counter attacking fast and they never seemed to deal with it though out the game.
The sending off obviously had a big bearing on the game and after that I thought we were comfortable and played some really nice football.
At the break I could see the Barrow manager waiting at the tunnel to see the ref. The experience of GJ was apparent keeping our lads on the pitch until they went in.
Fair play to Barrow in the second half they tried to make a good go at it and for 10-15 min we struggled.
Having the options from the bench makes a big difference for us, although Kalvin didn't have his finest moments.
For me Little was excellent and my mom, I really hope this injury is not to serious.
Reid today confirmed to me that he is the top striker in this league, not only for his goals but his pass to Little was different class.
Jake Andrews needs to do more defensively , what a player he can be if he improves that part of his game.
Fair play to the 76 Barrow fans, kept singing and supporting their team. They will certainly be right up there.