FA Cup 1st Round Draw - Who do you want?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

United62 wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 12:16 For selfish reasons, Maidstone away... but we all know it's going to be away at some shite team from the godforsaken grim north.
Say what?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

A winnable tie, given that they're in the division below us and they only won 3 games at home in the league last season. And they're midtable in NLS right now.

With that said, we all have memories of seeing "winnable games" against lower division opposition turn out badly, so...*shrug emoji*
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

United62 wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 12:16 For selfish reasons, Maidstone away... but we all know it's going to be away at some shite team from the godforsaken grim north.
Do hope you put a bet on that !!!
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 19:23 Say what?
:clap:

Reverse psychology seemed to work this time.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Quite like Chichester getting the bye, though - the lowest team left in the competition, and they don't even have to play!

I wonder if their players get a win bonus.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Bit of nostalgia

I went to the first game

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

2 things:

Very winnable game against Maidstone, so a great draw.

Absolutely made up for Chichester, I used to work in nearby Arundel when at Uni, and Chi was a great night out
Lucy
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

As long as the club prepare properly & don't regard this tie as a given we should see this one through & put our selves in with a chance of bagging a big boy in round 3.
I'm sure Maidstone will chuck everything inc the kitchen sink at us & with a bit of luck & professionalism ( very rarely seen at TUFC with previous regimes) we will prevail.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Just across the Thames for me. Was hoping for Sunderland home or away but let’s get to the third round and draw Spurs who are about our level at the moment.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 11:06 You're getting knocked out in the replay! :rofl:
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, Wivel. Whitby 2 - 0 up AND the Stourbridge 'keeper saved a penalty, but they ended up losing 3 - 2. Never mind. The seasiders can concentrate on the league now ........ :'(
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

lucy6lucy wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 19:44 Very winnable game against Maidstone.....
It is though it is also a potential banana skin. We have played them 10 times and only won once, and whilst I know every game is stand alone and anything could happen it is away so I would not be over confident......
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

stefano wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 09:14 It is though it is also a potential banana skin. We have played them 10 times and only won once, and whilst I know every game is stand alone and anything could happen it is away so I would not be over confident......
....and add to that, it's on plastic.

So, now we've all got the excuses for an upset out of the way....

Maidstone 0 Gulls 4... :keepie:
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I see Woking lost at Home 0-1 to mighty Ebbsfleet.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 19:41 Bit of nostalgia

I went to the first game

That was awesome, apart from the result. I remember wearing that kit for a TUFC u16 team. Tommy Tynan, what a finisher. That season was a real rollercoaster but with a joyous end. Mike Bateson took over in the summer, we had our best ever start to the season, but had a few injuries that impacted our form. Losing Paul Smith was huge, wasnt that also the season Phil Lloyd broke his leg, at Maidstone in the league if memories correct. Tynan requested to leave in the second half of the season, even though he was still scoring when he played, Dave Smith left (gutted), we stuttered over the line to get into the playoffs, then the rest is folklore and beautiful history. Tynan was dropped for the final amid rumours of a bust up with captain Wes Saunders, Saunders had a bad cut supposedly caused by a whack on the head with a kettle. Hence the renditions of "Tommy put the kettle on."
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, newspapers described him later as 'the kettle-wielding veteran'. I believe that there was a falling-out between Tynan and Bateson, which reached its apogee when, after scoring at Plainmoor, Tynan ran past the grandstand (old one) giving a V-sign to the Directors' box. Apparently Tynan had been promised a coaching role by Bateson (as part of the bait to get him to sign) and Bateson had reneged on this.