Torquay Vs Boreham wood Fa Cup 4th qualifying round19.10

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Kalala told me he has tonsillitis and was gutted to miss the match especially, as he said, he was featured in the 1899 match day magazine.
Was it a penalty? I'm not convinced.
Surely in the next round it's either Sunderland or a bye but wait a minute how about two lesser teams in Rounds 1 & 2 so we get the really big money maker in Round 3?
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Yup,a lower league team will be good. Lets make as much money as we can.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Goodness knows what on earth they will do about the Yeovil game now (particularly as Yeovil were winning when the opposition walked off)

Were there not any stewards/police at the game who could have taken some action and identified the culprits as it seems to have been a small minority - in which case perhaps the game could have continued.

It does seem interesting that this action occurred so quickly after the Bulgaria v England game which was completed despite ongoing and persistant racist comments in the second half (when in fact the match could quite reasonably have been abandoned)

There are massive implications with regards to teams walking off the pitch.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 23:15 Goodness knows what on earth they will do about the Yeovil game now (particularly as Yeovil were winning when the opposition walked o

There are massive implications with regards to teams walking off the pitch.
Agreed, It appears the Haringey Borough's manager took matters into his own hands when the team should have followed a three step protocol:

!) any player subject to abuse notify their captain, who would then speak to the referee. The referee should initially stop the game and ask for a PA warning to the crowd.

2) a second incident of racism heard by or reported to the referee should lead to the official taking the teams off the pitch, and a further tannoy warning made to the crowd that the game may be abandoned if the abuse persists.

3) A decision then can be taken by the referee, in consultation with team officials and the players, whether the game should be abandoned or continued.

What happens next is a question for the governing body - they will gather evidence from the involved parties and make a decision as to what happens in the longer term - they will almost certainly have the right to do almost anything, up to and including expelling Haringey Borough from the tournament (all though I don't think this will happen - more than likely replay the match behind closed doors.)
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Sounded like a thrilling cup tie. I must admit I thought we might lose this one, congratulations to the team and management. At least we have something to look forward to on Monday.
Lucy
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

SBP wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 18:39 I thought we found the first 20min tough going with BW having most of the possession and they looked dangerous out wide with their fullbacks will to attack. We gradually got into the game and started to create more opportunities. It was quite amusing reading a previous thread regarding our lack of adventure from set pieces and corners when we score from a short corner. I hope it was a planned move because the growns from the fellas around me when we took it short and then to score!!
Then Jamie Reid scored an excellent goal.
Now there have been few calling for Shaun M to return to the starting 11. So what happened for the penalty?? Complete balls up. Did he call for it and Liam Davis waited?? Why take the player out??
I thought BW started the 2nd half brighter and it was a big relief to get the third. We then played some really good football and I thought we would score again when another mistake gifts them a second.

My thoughts Cundy absolutely outstanding, Liam Davis and Wynter excellent. Little getting back to fitness and doing well. Reid, that was some goal.

Tshimanga 0 Jamie Reid 1
Off to the next round!!

With Shaun M, forget about the penalty part at the moment (which he got the ball first) did you see how he came out and court the ball on any crosses or corners and took control of his six yard box, this is what covolan does not give and needs to work on,
At one point Shaun M came out to catch the ball (well flap at a cross) and got a free kick, the ref will allways give a free kick for any contact on a keeper, so as a keeper you need to be out there and not on your goal line, as with the penalty he did get the ball first should he have been that far out ??? If he did it right all the time he would not be playing at this level, let's hope both goalkeepers work hard and maybe some different coaching would help. But we won so coyy :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

That was a good win against a useful team. Stronger and more aggressive than us, though aren't they all, but our superior skill and quality on the ball overcame that. What another superb goal from Reid , you have to go back to David Graham and before that Mark Loram to see finishing strikes of that quality. Back four especially Cundy
were excellent and though I criticized Jake Andrews workrate a while back he has really stepped that up and come up with some very good goals. He could have had a couple more, I like the way he steals in at the far post to get on the end of thing rather like Kevin Hill did.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not much to say about the first half of this game, if it wasn't for two pieces of individual brilliance from Andrews and Reid, both finishing off there their own work, probably wouldn't have even mentioned a forgettable 45 minutes, that was flat. devoid of any entertainment, a real dire half of football from both teams.

Second was a much better spectacle, Boreham Wood stepped it up, and they are big strong side, in turn, as said by others our team matched them with better footballing ability, I, actually joked with some friends we'd need a third goal to guarantee a replay, individually we've got good defenders, but as a unit a times you question them, opposition teams will always feel their never out of the game against us , and this is where I'll go back to talking about our goalkeepers again.

It doesn't matter whether MacDonald got to the ball first, and I wonder whether he did, linesman gave it, and a clear view, and for me the dead give away was no real protest, from the outfield players.

The fact remains MacDonald had no right, no business even going for that ball, it was the defenders job to deal with that, so once again we've seen MacDonald make a mistake regardless of whether it was penalty or not ( he gave them a decision to make) that's ended up with the ball in the back of our net, and changed the course of a game that we were in complete control of.

I will praise MacDonald for his handling yesterday, however I posted at the end of last season, and before the beginning of this season, he makes to many mistakes that leads directly to goals against, last season got away with it, because in most games we had the ability to out score the majority of teams we play against, this season was always going to get highlighted more, said before neither keeper at our club are fit for purpose in terms of the clubs stated ambitions, if you could fuse the two together than maybe, sadly the keeping position is a real issue.

As for the racism at the Yeovil game, we as English football fans can not take moral high ground when our national team is away in Bulgaria, or Montenegro, when these incidents are once again on the rise in our country, racism in all it's form are simply not acceptable,and would hope that we as Torquay fans will stand united against it.

As with Hartlepool and all clubs, the majority of Yeovil fans are decent people it has to be said, but if the F.A want to make a real stand here, then they should be banned from this years F.A cup, I would go further and ban them from next years as well, as for league games, start making clubs play behind closed doors, then the message will start to hit home.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Paigntonfan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke young

Post by Paigntonfan »

A great win, enjoyed listening on the club commentary which is very good as always, on to the next round😊😊
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

MellowYellow wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 01:05 Agreed, It appears the Haringey Borough's manager took matters into his own hands when the team should have followed a three step protocol:

!) any player subject to abuse notify their captain, who would then speak to the referee. The referee should initially stop the game and ask for a PA warning to the crowd.

2) a second incident of racism heard by or reported to the referee should lead to the official taking the teams off the pitch, and a further tannoy warning made to the crowd that the game may be abandoned if the abuse persists.

3) A decision then can be taken by the referee, in consultation with team officials and the players, whether the game should be abandoned or continued.

What happens next is a question for the governing body - they will gather evidence from the involved parties and make a decision as to what happens in the longer term - they will almost certainly have the right to do almost anything, up to and including expelling Haringey Borough from the tournament (all though I don't think this will happen - more than likely replay the match behind closed doors.)
Uhh, I think you mean Yeovil, it was their fans with the racism.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

IMO the game should not be abandoned at Stage 3 unless safety has become a real issue - that would be surprising. Abandonment is too drastic and can be manipulated by losing fans or even fans posing as supporting the other side. Both Clubs may be blameless so it's hard to award the game to either side and worse to replay it.

Far better IMO to clear out the offending section of the Crowd and continue the game later. Clubs that cannot restrain their supporters should be made to play the next home games with only away Supporters present.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

'Forever' posts- "The fact remains MacDonald had no right, no business even going for that ball, it was the defenders job to deal with that, so once again we've seen MacDonald make a mistake regardless of whether it was penalty or not". Fair enough.

I see some Premier League games and the top Goalies plying their trade - even those Guys make SO many mistakes. Henderson ? IMO since the introduction of the lighter footballs many decades ago, you just don't see a Goalie give consistent faultless displays - these balls travel much faster and swerve markedly. Ron Springett, Gordon Banks, Peter Downsborough =D and Peter Shilton couldn't look as good these days.

An EPL Goalie this weekend, attacker about 4 metres out on the left, angle maybe 15 degrees, the Goalie has narrowed the angle but is on his knees and the shot goes in over his low head and hands :aww: Effing stand up :clap: No need to spread at 15 degree angle :clown:

Covolan took criticism for the 30 yarder at Notts County but I thought it was a really stunning strike that swerved away from him. Has GJ dropped him for that or is GJ just giving McDonald an FA Cup go ? Now McDonald is criticised and I accept 'Forever's' view on it. But if McDonald hadn't gone out for it and they'd scored somehow, maybe he'd have been criticised for NOT going out, by others.

Goalies just can't win. Every other Player gets away with his 'mistakes'. That said, this common 'on your knees' stuff is bad coaching.

Good Luck to McDonald and Covolan :scarf: COYY.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

nickbrod wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 20:35
Surely in the next round it's either Sunderland or a bye but wait a minute how about two lesser teams in Rounds 1 & 2 so we get the really big money maker in Round 3?
Ah, screw it - let's get Sunderland away in Round 1 and beat them (nice money spinner), then get Portsmouth away in Round 2, and beat them too.

Then Manchester United away in the 3rd round, sneak a 1-1 draw and then beat them at home.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.