Notts County v Torquay United 12/10/19 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

Don't want to be pedantic, but there wasn't anything wrong with the team Gary owers put together, he just couldn't get them to play. Gary Johnson came along (thank god) and turned them into league winners.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Porky wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 17:27 Don't want to be pedantic, but there wasn't anything wrong with the team Gary owers put together, he just couldn't get them to play. Gary Johnson came along (thank god) and turned them into league winners.
A side containing Regis, Wright, Essuman, Williams, etc was never going to bode well. The GJ effect was massive.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

CP Gull wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 20:14 Crikey yellow monkey you can tell you are a long standing TUFC fan!!! Even after THREE consecutive wins you still think we are shit! We have a very good squad, full of very talented footballers, but admittedly on the downside it is a young team who may well get bullied in some games by bigger, stronger and more experienced teams ... so be it, but I personally love the fact that we have so much quality in the side to admire ..... and long may it continue!
Apology accepted :) :na: :whistle:
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

yellowmonkey wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 17:55 Apology accepted :) :na: :whistle:
Yep, you can celebrate tonight! Like I said there will definitely be days like this for our young and inexperienced team - sounded like we got bullied out of it by a much more streetwise team, much as I predicted. But I still disagree with your assertion that “our defence is poor, midfield ineffective etc .... “ We will have good days, we will have bad days, but to be fair, when the likes of Evans, Hall and Janneh return, I think we will have more good days than bad days.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

We are so inconsistent our set pieces, final ball was woeful today, and the defending was piss poor for both goals. We basically gave them 3 points today without them having to play and lets be honest other than the 2 goals did they create anything else. That being said I don’t remember there keeper making a save.
Lucy
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I agree with you CP.

With 3 points separating 5th place to 14th place it shows you there is going to be a very tight battle for the play off places. Early days.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Yep a poor showing. Dont think we had one shot that really tested the keeper. The goals were disappointing in the sense that the first, nine times out of 10 would be fluffed or blazed over.

The second was the softest free kick, but nobody in yellow attacked the resultant cross in.

Lost count of how many cheap free kicks we gave away on the corners of the 18-yard box.

Just no killer pass today and we dont help ourselves when opportunity arises in the form of set pieces into the opponents box. Not too disheartened though. Gives us a good gauge of where we are at. Not a million miles away though.

Cant believe Harrogate beat Yeovil as Harrogate looked poor at our place.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Just proves the inconsistencies of this league
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Bigman »

Our forward passing was poor today, don't think Reid had a touch for first 35 minutes so dropped to halfway where he's not going to threaten. Whitfield kept driving into dead ends out wide and although Kalvin seemed to have the beating of the full back he was too slow with decision making. Think an Andrews free kick that was easily gathered and a Cameron scramble from a set piece were our only attempts all game.

Notts had hardly any of the ball first half but missed 2 good chances and were a threat from set pieces all game. They managed second half well and we never had a sniff.

Weren't helped by ref at start of second half, so many free kicks for nothing breaking up the game and never gave us a chance to get going. Never a foul for their second, the winger went to lean into Kalvin who got out the way. Good delivery though, and good strike for their first (which given he's a full back and the way he shaped up i thought he was going to sky it).

As said in another thread, set piece delivery was especially poor, had lots of them but never threatened.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Disappointing to say the least.
Just shows in this league the difference between teams - ie Stockport and Notts County.
We didn't deserve anything, which was a shame for the 673 fans that made the trip.
Two poor goals conceded and we were poor up front. As soon as we went 1 down, we resorted to hoof ball.
Chances were there from free kicks in good areas and corners, but the delivery was shocking - even from Little which was disappointing.
Duku needs to be nowhere near the team/bench. offers nothing.
Anyway, onwards and upwards.
Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Just seen the Notts County first goal.
Can I ask a fan who was at the game am I being unfair on Lucas Covolan when I say he had a long time to at least dive the right way because he did not seem to be completely unsighted. He did not move.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Uptongull »

portugull wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 16:31 Just seen the Notts County first goal.
Can I ask a fan who was at the game am I being unfair on Lucas Covolan when I say he had a long time to at least dive the right way because he did not seem to be completely unsighted. He did not move.
From where I was it didnt appear to be a daisy-cutter shot with much pace. Seemed to take an age to go in so I would expect a keeper to at least try to save it. Unless he thought it was going wide.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Very strange game. Always thought that if we nicked a goal in the second half we could set up a grand stand finish, but it wasn't to be. Agree that their first was a good strike but took an age to go in. Time seemed to stand still as did our keeper who must of been unsighted. Their second was the softest free kick ever but we defended it badly. The Kalala debate swung from match winner to luxury player yesterday but would still be in my starting eleven every week. On a bad day you can see the confidence drain out of him. Nott's county were certainly beatable but if we continue to hit straight high balls to Reid with little or no support then we will continue to leave places like Nott's County with zero points. Reid was up against a big old unit and had no chance in the air. Great atmosphere and support from the yellow army. Looking for a win next week to kick off a good cup run!! Wheels definitely have not come off!!!!
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Bigman wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 09:49 Our forward passing was poor today, don't think Reid had a touch for first 35 minutes so dropped to halfway where he's not going to threaten. Whitfield kept driving into dead ends out wide and although Kalvin seemed to have the beating of the full back he was too slow with decision making. Think an Andrews free kick that was easily gathered and a Cameron scramble from a set piece were our only attempts all game.

Notts had hardly any of the ball first half but missed 2 good chances and were a threat from set pieces all game. They managed second half well and we never had a sniff.

Weren't helped by ref at start of second half, so many free kicks for nothing breaking up the game and never gave us a chance to get going. Never a foul for their second, the winger went to lean into Kalvin who got out the way. Good delivery though, and good strike for their first (which given he's a full back and the way he shaped up i thought he was going to sky it).

As said in another thread, set piece delivery was especially poor, had lots of them but never threatened.
:goodpost:

Second game of the season after Chesterfield. This was much better, but as said above, for all our enterprise and some slick play in the middle of the pitch, we barely looked like scoring. Notts County had a couple of old heads in Turner and Doyle, who, with their excellent right back, were streetwise and gave them the edge.

On the MOTM thread, I've mentioned 3 midfielders. Their endeavour was plain to see, and at times they drove positively in possession. However, there were times when I wondered what their strength is. Defending, our back 4 looked exposed (Wynter had an uncharacteristically poor game), yet in attack Reid was massively isolated for long periods. I actually thought Duku briefly offered some additional presence.

For the first goal, watching live, it seemed a crisp shot displaying technique rarely seen by a full back at this level. I don't blame Covolan, but here and at Chesterfield, his defenders did point the finger at him at times. Doesn't look like they have much faith in him, unfortunately.