Torquay United v AFC Fylde 5/10/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Agree we were very fortunate yesterday. Can't believe how inept Fylde were in front of goal - they overwhelmed us in midfield and our tendency to go long when struggling in midfield also played into their hands. It took another defensive mistake from us for them to score. So why are we consistently losing the midfield battle? I thought both Kalala and Andrews failed adequately to support Vincent and Buse in that battle. We badly need Hall back in the holding midfield position. I also thought playing Whitfield up front with Reid did not work, especially when everyone behind them seemed to want to hoof the ball up to them. It was great to see Little back but wonder how we will accommodate him and Hall without evicting Buse, who I thought was excellent yesterday despite being under pressure.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Will need a change with (hopefully) Janneh coming back

I'd have him up top with Reid and put Whitfield in Andrews position, Hall to swap out with a unlucky Vincent at the moment for me. Certainly would strengthen the options on the bench.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

With my post on the Eastleigh game, and after yesterday's game I think Shaun should be given another go.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Would have lost this one a couple of seasons ago. Hung on, rode our luck and Buse got Plainmoor rocking at the end. Back to back wins and a very winnable game to come on Tuesday night. Reid must be desperate for Janneh to return to provide some support. At least one more attacking option is needed badly if we are to be serious play off contenders.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 22:16 With respect to both Tommo and Arcadia, is not about whether we think todays referee Mr Allison was poor or not, it's about having the realisation that, without the referee there is no football.

This doesn't just apply to Torquay United fans, every week without fail I read through fans pages you get one post after another from fans up and down the country about how crap/rubbish etc their referee was, we as fans have the right to perceive the referee's performance in whichever way we like, however much of our perception is born from the fact the majority fans are not up to speed with the ever changing and revolving laws of football, where as the referees are.

For me one change I'd like to see is, at the moment managers, coaches and players alike are forced to come out after games and give interviews, yet referees are not, maybe it would help the relationship between fans and referees if they came out gave some explanations behind some of their key decisions.

BTW Arcadia, your posts only proves my point about Mr Allison's inconsistencies to be a correct one.
I fully agree, Forever. There is one motormouth on the Pop Side who I think only turns up each week to have a go at the referee, and mostly he is wrong. Very few posters mention the ref when he has a good game. I try to remember to do so. The game is played at a faster pace than it ever was and as you say, the rules of football are constantly changing (not always for the better, I might add). Being a football referee must be one of the worst jobs of all.

Sam Allison is an ex-professional footballer and you would think he'd be wise to the pushes and tugs that go on during a game. A few examples of poor referee-ing yesterday - Ben Whitfield was clearly bundled over twice from behind in the second half. Nothing given. These were clear fouls. Yet when Whitfield pushed a Fylde player, he was, rightly, penalised. One of his most glaring errors favoured us! Fylde were in a strong attacking position, but he blew up for a free kick in their favour. He definitely should have played the advantage. It is refs like him who spoil games and I suspect it is why he has not progressed to the Football League panel as even the ever popular (??) Brett Huxtable has.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Jpr wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 13:56 With my post on the Eastleigh game, and after yesterday's game I think Shaun should be given another go.
Ring club and tell GJ you’re inspirational thoughts
Lucy
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Think Modgull summed it up very well. Good post.
Kalala and Andrews to a slightly lesser extent are
both somewhat luxury players
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

desperado wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 20:19 Think Modgull summed it up very well. Good post.
Kalala and Andrews to a slightly lesser extent are
both somewhat luxury players
The luxury of three points in the case of the former, on Saturday.
TUST number 080
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Lloyder5 wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 08:57 The luxury of three points in the case of the former, on Saturday.
Always a fine line between being labelled a luxury player or a match winner!!!! I saw enough rubbish during the 3 seasons before our promotion year wearing the yellow shirt to fully appreciate what both players bring to the team!!!!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have just watched the highlights 3 times!
Easy to say but Liam could have ducked and the ball would have gone for a goal kick.
However Liam makes very few errors and I am sure he was the most relieved person inside Plainmoor when Matt Buse scored.
A lovely bit of skill from Jake Andrews prior to his deep ball to KK which resulted in a perfect cross into the 6 yard box but Matt Buse was exceptional in the way he converted the chance when you consider he is a midfielder not a striker. Any striker would be proud of such an accomplished header. Lavercombe never moved. A real bullet of a header. Watch it back. Just brilliant.
COYY