Torquay United v AFC Fylde 5/10/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Get in there boys!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

I had a little sigh to myself when I saw it was ref Sam Alison today and true to form he was dreadful

That goal at the end was very much a up yours!! :red:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree with that , how is the bloke still refereeing at this level. He has been at Plainmoor 4 or 5 times and been absolutely appalling every time.
So with him refereeing I will take the three points , even though I have to say I thought that was our poorest home performance of the season and we got some luck for once. It looked more likely that Fylde would get the winner not us. Buse and Vincent have done well but we need to be stronger in there , Fylde won nearly all the second balls in midfield and we kept giving it away when we did have it. Thought Little played well and hope he starts Tuesday . We need Hall as well and with Janneh up front with Reid we would be more of a threat, but well done Matt Buse , great effort to get in there for the winner.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

When we lost 2-3 to Eastleigh on 24th Sept I thought how did we lose that game.
Today I thought how did we win that game!
Despite a beautiful volley from Kalvin after 8 minutes, he just let it drop and hit a perfect volley high into the net, we did not look convincing after the first 15 minutes.
When we gifted AFC Fylde a 52nd minute goal you sensed that we were going to be on the back foot and that is exactly what happened.
Frankly we were second best for most of the time and our opponents must have had a dozen corners. However it is a long time since we scored a late winner at Plainmoor and in the 93rd minute KK hit a cross into the 6 yard box and young Mr. Buse scored his first goal for United with a header at the perfect moment.
Kalvin did not have the best of games but he scored one and made one sending the Plainmoor faithful,2440, home happy and very relieved.
Matt Buse must be in dreamland.To go from Taunton Town to scoring the winner for Torquay United after earning a contract which he richly deserved just shows what hard work and desire can achieve. Congratulations Matt.
We desperately need to give Reid more support up front.
Good to see Armani Little back but Gary Johnson will know we were lucky today to take all 3 points. However you need a little luck sometimes.
COYY
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Great result but I would like to see another striker alongside Reid but then wonder if the midfield as it is would be strong enough. Just hope we get everyone fit and keep picking up points in the mean time. :keepie:
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

Great to get three points today. Although we didn’t play well for spells of the game - but we did keep going. Defensive mix-up for their goal was disappointing. Maybe time for Shaun Mac to have another chance.
Fantastic goal from Kalvin and good to have Armani back.
Ref Sam Allison hasn’t improved in our season out of the national league. A poor inconsistent second half favouring Fylde.
Bring on Ebbsfleet.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

portugull wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 19:09 When we lost 2-3 to Eastleigh on 24th Sept I thought how did we lose that game.
Today I thought how did we win that game!
Despite a beautiful volley from Kalvin after 8 minutes, he just let it drop and hit a perfect volley high into the net, we did not look convincing after the first 15 minutes.
When we gifted AFC Fylde a 52nd minute goal you sensed that we were going to be on the back foot and that is exactly what happened.
Frankly we were second best for most of the time and our opponents must have had a dozen corners. However it is a long time since we scored a late winner at Plainmoor and in the 93rd minute KK hit a cross into the 6 yard box and young Mr. Buse scored his first goal for United with a header at the perfect moment.
Kalvin did not have the best of games but he scored one and made one sending the Plainmoor faithful,2440, home happy and very relieved.
Matt Buse must be in dreamland.To go from Taunton Town to scoring the winner for Torquay United after earning a contract which he richly deserved just shows what hard work and desire can achieve. Congratulations Matt.
We desperately need to give Reid more support up front.
Good to see Armani Little back but Gary Johnson will know we were lucky today to take all 3 points. However you need a little luck sometimes.
COYY
Fantastic report, they say luck/results even out over a season. Eastleigh defeat was hard to take, today we are celebrating . COYY
Lucy
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

You have to remember also sides can bring on experience su s but we only had little on in second half. You have to remember Lewis, duku and Niate maybe named subs but are injured and can only can do short stints
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes, good post from Portugull.

My own thoughts are similar, think the headlines on this game would read something like 'Gulls swoop to nick the points' doubt anyone from either side could think anything but a draw in this game, would have been a fair result.

The Gulls got out the traps fast as normal, and the 8th minute wonder strike from Kalala gave Torquay an early lead, but maybe this early goal off the back of last weeks thumping win at Stockport could have effected our teams mentality, as things went flat performance wise soon after, at half time I judged this to be fairly even game between two sides lacking in a bit of extra quality to break each other down, I also thought that if side could step there quality of passing and movement they'd probably go on to win the game.

There was a slight improvement in performance and it came from Fylde, sadly for me, rather than Torquay, as it was the visitors who went on to by and large dominate possession, and we had our early warning as a neat move from Fylde saw their player get in behind the defence, but the shot well saved by Colovan, soon after we saw yet another defensive error, there appeared to a lack of communication between Colovan and Davis, leaving the opposition player a tap in, from that point I felt there would be only one winner.

However thankfully some good individual defending from Cameron and Cundy , although it has to be said Cameron's distribution from the back needs improving, and the hard working Buse and Whitfield ( a real find) kept Fylde at bay. Very late in the game we finally saw our team get some sort of foothold and starting to cause the visitors some problems, and the one thing that did disappoint me was, again this isn't personal, just my honest opinion, we know from his time at Torquay Lavercombe is a poor keeper when it comes to crosses into the box, we knew he has a tendency to stick in his line, so why it took us till the 82 minute to put a real testing cross into the box lord only knows, and it was a cross that could have resulted in a goal for us.

Coming into time added on, I turned around to a friend, and said, we don't deserve to win this game, but now is the time for a hero to stand up, and he sure did, as the enigma that is Kalala who can do something brilliant in a game and follow it up with something awful through out every game he plays, produced an inch perfect cross, for Buse to head past the stranded Lavercombe and the points for once were stolen in our favour.

On the subject of the goalkeeping position, the problem for me is, I look as fan at MacDonald and Colovan, and I see some really good attributes in both , and areas where they both are lacking, if we could fuse the best bits of both keepers together, we'd have a really good keeper, sadly no one can do that, and that's a real issue for me, as, stand alone neither are fit for purpose in terms of supporting a promotion challenge at this level, personally don't see the point of chopping changing them about in the hope one or the other will step up.

Think it's about time everyone in football started to respect the referee's more, the 'sin bin' system for dissent is already in operation in local non-league football, saw in action recently at Ipplepen at a Devon senior cup game, something that I wonder whether will be trialled at a higher level, with respect, with out referee's we don't have football. they're only human, todays referee really wasn't hat bad, inconsistent, yes, aren't they all, my only criticism was for me, his inconsistency was over obvious, with some challenges judged not to be fouls, yet the were given as fouls the other way around.
Last edited by Dave on 05 Oct 2019, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Forever the referee was not going to book Vincent until their two players spent a long time pointing out that he had booked their players and not him you could see what was going on. Vincents booking was a foul no more. Sam Allison was poor today and for the last few times we've had him.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Portugull's summary says it all for me. I think Forever is being very kind to Mr Allison. In all the games I have seen him ref at Plainmoor, he has been awful. This afternoon was no different in my opinion. Failing to give fouls when they looked obvious and giving fouls that looked innocuous - and that applied to both teams.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

With respect to both Tommo and Arcadia, is not about whether we think todays referee Mr Allison was poor or not, it's about having the realisation that, without the referee there is no football.

This doesn't just apply to Torquay United fans, every week without fail I read through fans pages you get one post after another from fans up and down the country about how crap/rubbish etc their referee was, we as fans have the right to perceive the referee's performance in whichever way we like, however much of our perception is born from the fact the majority fans are not up to speed with the ever changing and revolving laws of football, where as the referees are.

For me one change I'd like to see is, at the moment managers, coaches and players alike are forced to come out after games and give interviews, yet referees are not, maybe it would help the relationship between fans and referees if they came out gave some explanations behind some of their key decisions.

BTW Arcadia, your posts only proves my point about Mr Allison's inconsistencies to be a correct one.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Yeah but he was still crap.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Great result today however we are making it hard for ourselves.

Has anyone else noticed that both of our Keepers, lump the ball up to a Striker that can not time his jump or head the ball. This tactic is a complete waste of time and only serves to disrupt us.

Duku who has got some aerial presence, was not even considered yesterday and therefore will probably be gone by the end of January.

I have no idea what style of football we are playing these days but somehow we get the results. Our passing is nowhere near the standards set last year, perhaps that is due to the improved quality of the opposition.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I think we have to consider the opposition yesterday. Fylde are a strong side regardless of there current league position. If we had lost the game there would have been many saying that we need more experience etc etc. We won and I don't care how.
We appear to be more effective as a counter attacking side, we are comfortable with the opposition having possession and striking with speed and pace down each flank. We are not comfortable with hoffing the ball long in the direction of Jamie Reid and expecting him to compete with 2-3 defenders. So at times I think we get confused and lose our game plan and you see the keeper hit it long and wasteful and then you see Cameron hit a long crossfield ball that Kalvin is never going to win. Yesterday Cameron hit 3-4 and we got caught.
So we loose our direction and that happened yesterday in the second half. We are far more effective with the ball on the ground and playing at a high tempo.
I was delighted for Buse yesterday, he's made a considerable step up and is doing well, maybe he has more than we think. There were signs yesterday of him popping up in advanced positions so what a finish and great celebrations with the popside.
I thought Cundy was very strong yesterday and we are now starting to see what a player he can be. Whitfield just doesn't stop running, I wish a could bottle up some of his energy.