Torquay VS Eastleigh 7:45 24.9

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I cannot believe the double standards that are being applied . Earlier in the season Mcdonald, Niate, Cameron,Duku and Keating came in for some dreadful stick and on a regular basis from any number of contributors on this forum. I didn't see too many of you sticking your heads over the parapet to defend them. But then the Reidy protection society comes out in force when someone disagrees with the theory that he fell to earth to save Torquay.
Different people, different views.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

culmstockgull wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 21:19 I cannot believe the double standards that are being applied . Earlier in the season Mcdonald, Niate, Cameron,Duku and Keating came in for some dreadful stick and on a regular basis from any number of contributors on this forum. I didn't see too many of you sticking your heads over the parapet to defend them. But then the Reidy protection society comes out in force when someone disagrees with the theory that he fell to earth to save Torquay.
Different people, different views.
The difference, as Forever eluded to in his reasoned post, is that last season we had Saiko Janneh playing alongside Jamie Reid and they complemented each other well. This season, Manny Duku has been brought in to partner Reid and to be frank, so far he has not impressed. Reid is out there on his own, battling against some rugged defenders, yet he is still the league's joint leading scorer.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

In years gone by I would be questioning this and that. I would be nervous about our games and team. With our current manager at the helm I have never been less worried. Gary Johnson has been there, seen it, done it and will do again. We are in the best hands possible. If football was that simple we would have nothing to discuss, so as the great man says "we will find a few icebergs". Carry on GJ.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

davethegull2 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 04:09 In years gone by I would be questioning this and that. I would be nervous about our games and team. With our current manager at the helm I have never been less worried. Gary Johnson has been there, seen it, done it and will do again. We are in the best hands possible. If football was that simple we would have nothing to discuss, so as the great man says "we will find a few icebergs". Carry on GJ.
Agree totally. Gary Johnson is without a shadow of doubt the best, most qualified in terms of experience and achievement, manager we have had in the past 40 years. If he can't do it then nobody can.
My pre season expectations was that this season would be about consolidation and seeing who is capable at this level. For the moment we clearly have players who will not make the grade and are being hampered by the injury crisis. Johnson will know where the weaknesses lie and will try to correct them. The major issue will be whether or not the owners will support him with more resources.
To be honest was Tuesday night really that bad when you compare it to what we have seen in the previous five or six seasons? Be patient and support the team, if all you want is to see a winning team then stay in the pub and watch Liverpool or Man City.
BTW Culmstock's suggestion that Reid should be dropped for Duku and Keating is the most ridiculous football related comment I have ever read on this forum. What's the matter man, did Reid shag your missus or something?
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Reid has delivered so far this season. The others listed have had aspects of their games exposed at this higher level. Doesn't mean they should be written off, just have to improve.
TUST number 080
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I don't know where Culmstock is coming from! The Reid I saw on Tuesday ran his socks off for much of the game chasing lost causes and trying to close down the opposition from the front. It's not surprising that he ran out of steam later on when the whole team seemed to retreat deep into their own half. The problem was the lack of service from midfield and those long, hopeful/less balls forward which he and Keating were never going to thrive on in the absence of a true target man. As for replacing him with Duku????!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Another point on Reid - I think he has matured this season, probably on the back of last season's success. He now plays with his head up and brings others into the game in a way he used not to, often holding on to the ball too long and running down cut-de-sacs. He is a quality striker now and you would never leave him out of the team.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The Reid of today is a vast improvement over the Reid that previously played in the National League. His skill and confidence has improved so much under GJ that I also fail to understand or agree with Culmstocks opinion. He'll always be a frustrating player at times but how many at this level aren't like that? You could never call him lazy or lacking commitment though, he's one of the hardest working players we have.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

I have just read your post from yesterday culmstock gull about Jamie Reid.
In the 9 years on this forum I have to say it is the most ridiculous post I have ever read.
I watch Jamie very closely from my perch in Bristows Bench, a wonderful view, and for you to say he lacks interest beggars belief.
Jamie is continuing to become a better and better player with every game and his work rate is phenomenal.
I tell you what I think you need to visit spec savers!!!
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Just for interest, Cheltenham towns manager Michael Duff was at the game on Tuesday? Who was he watching?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Lee Johnson as well he did not come down for tea.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

Jpr wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 09:43 I Think it's time Shaun Macdonald goes back in goal, Cavagnari is a good shot stopper but he does not own his penalty box, He doesn't come out for crosses or corners, he does not take control of his box and this leaves defenders nervous. where as Shaun does take control of his box and would come out and catch crosses and corners and this helps defenders now that there keeper has control, Even just a good loud shout KEEPERS can but a striker off as thay are unsure if thay are going to get a whack from the Keeper when going up for a ball. And Cavagnari at times needs to calm him self down and look at different options when kicking from his hand, it doesn't need to go long all the time sometimes a throw out will set a good break on, also at the end of last season when Connor Lemonheigh Evans went back to his parent club we struggled to win games and looked a different side with out him, we need another Connor type player signed on (young or old) as I don't think even with the injuries we have at the moment we have that type of player and if Connor is recalled by his club then we will be a middle of the table team.
Still think we need to change, after yesterdays game. 5th October