Torquay United v Dagenham & Redbridge 21/09/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Torquay United v Dagenham & Redbridge 21/09/19

Post by Louis »

So tomorrow sees us host Dagenham & Redbridge at Plainmoor, what are your predictions for this big game?
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

IF the injury list has not improved significantly, I am afraid I will have to go with an away win. 1-3 :'(
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

If Buse and Vincent start in midfield I can see us bossing it and winning 3-1. Two super hard working players who will run through brick walls for their team and a player in Vincent who is non to shabby going forward in support of the attack.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Fingers crossed we’ve got a few players back for tomorrow, else tomorrow could get messy....
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Not sure I agree with that, fair enough they are hard working but do they have the quality - they didn't boss the second half at Chesterfield did they ? Think we may draw this one 1-1 and beat Eastleigh.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Devon live have, Keating, Andrews, Little, Opi, Lewis all back. Scroll right down to the bottoms of the page.
https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... on-3340568
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I thought it was a good 0-0 draw and both sides cancelled each other out until the last ten minutes when either side could have won. I was disappointed that Garry did not take Ried out of the middle for a spell to try and get the centre half out wide as they had Jamie in his pocket. Vincent who was very busy and has the skill to upset a big centre half may got something in the box if he was pushed up in the middle.
I thought Lewis was man of the match with Vincent the keeper close second.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Just to cheer everyone up after today's scrappy match, I see the man who we all love to hate was sent off for Woking today. 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

A good point against a very good team. Torquay the better side in the first half and Dagenham had the momentum in the second. Far too many corners conceded, but defended well. We could have won it at the end, with Jake Andrew's free kick crashing against the crossbar. Let's hope for a victory on Tuesday.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 18:02 Just to cheer everyone up after today's scrappy match, I see the man who we all love to hate was sent off for Woking today. 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁
Didn't realise Uncle Clarke was playing 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

Too many high balls were meat and drink to their big back 4. Their right back played well and caused us problems. The last gasp defending was breathtaking but only because the high hopeful punts were leading to us losing possession for large swathes of the match and setting up that last ditch defending.
Thought that was the poorest game Ben wynter has had for us. Need some more nous in the middle of the park as we were overrun in there at times.
That said, it was a point gained against a team who are going to be there or thereabouts, as are we tbh
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

We were poor today.
If Dagenham had a half decent striker we would have lost by 2 or 3 second half.
Another point towards staying in this league.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Not the greatest match for any of the supporters, but considering our injuries I will take the point against a team on a very good run but not sure how they are on such a run. We know our midfield is lightweight due to injuries, Vincent has the skill and Buse was very busy but no vision, there was no outlet for any ball and Reid on the rare occasion he saw the ball survived on scraps. We persist in pumping high balls up and their centre half's probably had the easiest game of the season. Kalala I have decided is best used as an impact sub because he was absent for long periods again today. Yet another Saturday where we seemed bereft of ideas when the first game plan came to nothing. Hopefully we have some of the better players back on Tuesday.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Cant disagree with Porky's post.

I thought our first half formation is just not effective. Reid becomes isolated and our patterns of play become long ball and dis-jointed. Wynter was poor today. I also thought Cameron was poor, how he was given mom was a complete joke. Dagenham to me were far the better side in the 1st half, organised and strong. I thought Lewis,Whitfield and Liam Davies were good in the 1st half.
Second half starts and we go back to a 4-4-2 with a tactical switch with Lewis coming off and Keating on next to Reid. Does that suggest that Duko is down the pecking order?? Anyway it was a positive step as Keating provides that urgency and intensity. It was an improvement on the 1st half. There was a close shout for a penalty, it looked like one from where I was standing, interesting to hear what anybody else thought??
Anyway I thought our keeper was the busier and did well, their keeper made one save and Andrews hit the bar. So for me I was happy with the point considering, I really didn't think we did enough.
GJ has to work hard with Kalvin, he has to be one of the most frustrating players to watch. He basically did nothing today and GJ lost his patience and replaced him. That lad has so much ability but what do you do with him. With performances like today its like playing with 10 men.
Dagenham are a good organised team which I expected and as others have suggested they will be right up there.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

This was a battle between 2 well matched sides and a draw was a fair result.
This was our 12th match in 50 days and given our extensive injury list and the fact we have played 6 of the top 8 teams we are in a reasonable position.
The plus points from today were the excellent goalkeeping of Lucas Covolan and a brilliant first half performance from Joe Lewis.
Gary Johnson rightly praised Matt Buse who had a very good game and Ben Whitfield who looks like he will cut the mustard.
We also kept a clean sheet.
Negatives are really a lack of the killer pass, how we miss Connor, and lack of support for Jamie Reid who was very closely marked.
Once we get Little and Hall back it will help a lot but we need one goalscorer because Jamie is not tall enough to battle all game against centre backs who are in many cases 6 inches taller than him.Someone like Quigley to knock the ball down to Jamie would be a huge plus.