Chesterfield FC v Torquay United 14/9/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Chesterfield have scored 7 at Home but conceded 10.
Could be a high scoring game. United to win 3-2.
Fascinating to see who Gary starts with.
If Armani Little is fit I guess 8 are nailed on to start but a real conundrum for Gary this week plus who are not even make the bench.
He has 21 to choose from. Will Ryan Dickson start? Will Opi Edwards feature?
As I say a real conundrum.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Sorry "who will not even make the bench"
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Covolan
Wynts
Davis
Cameron
Cundy
Kalvin LK
Frankie V
Dickson
Duku
Reidy
Whitfield

Subs:
Shaun Mac
Lewis
Buse
Kosela
Slough

Obviously struggling a wee bit and not much depth at the moment. Average age of the bench is about 7.

Chesterfield currently winless, rock bottom, and players are arguing with fans. There fortune has to change at some point, I just hope it isn’t today. Seeing our current squad though, I’m not overly confident!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

ollocks
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

No lemonheigh, little, andrews, or Hall and two out of four subs have not featured this season, we are very thin on the ground. unless chesterfield implode I do not think we will get much from this fixture.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

With seven regulars out it wasn't such a surprise and it did sound as if we put up a good display. Lets hope they recover in time for next week.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Some good news Nathan Smith gets the goal for Port Vale that beats Plymouth :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Very quiet on here tonight, await posts from those at the game. Half expected this result against a team who hadn't won in 10 games this season and with our 4 first choice midfielders out
Think we need support for Reid, don't know about Gary Johnson but I am beginning to lose patience with Duku , missed a good early chance today by all accounts. He is just not doing the business, can't expect Reid to score all the time. I am surprised we haven't got another striker in on loan to replace the Newport bloke
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Having listened to Johnson's post match interview it seems that certain players who came in did not step up today or show enough to warrant a place, Covolan decided not to make the save for the goal because he thought it was offside, interestingly he mentions culprits in the team who obviously did not stick to the script.
Regardless , we have another injury in Lewis, and Dickson only managed 50 minutes. At this rate it will be the youth team next week. But no matter how badly we play we are still only 10 points off top spot.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

culmstockgull wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 20:04 Having listened to Johnson's post match interview it seems that certain players who came in did not step up today or show enough to warrant a place, Covolan decided not to make the save for the goal because he thought it was offside, interestingly he mentions culprits in the team who obviously did not stick to the script.
Regardless , we have another injury in Lewis, and Dickson only managed 50 minutes. At this rate it will be the youth team next week. But no matter how badly we play we are still only 10 points off top spot.
[highlight=yellow][/highlight] I always thought you played to the whistle :keepie:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

grockle wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 20:07 [highlight=yellow][/highlight] I always thought you played to the whistle :keepie:
I’m pretty sure Covolan has a tattoo about playing to the whistle after walking out for the second half
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

As a fan today, it was just incredibly frustrating. We had the possession, and indeed the mentality to try and attack. But I’m confident if the game had finished at 10pm we would still not have scored. And please let me add Chesterfield deserved nothing from the game, they where worst from us at least we tried, they just managed to waste 30 minutes of the match. However injuries aside will not be winning this league, we are so naive in the basics.
Lucy
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Chris B »

Frustrating performance yesterday, albeit the result had a sense of inevitability about it. There were times when we were full of bluster in the second half, but although we got a few crosses in, we never looked like scoring against a dogged but very limited side.

Personally, I think the criticism which came Covolan's way for the goal was harsh, and was unhelpful from his defence. He stood little chance with Boden so close to goal. He also kept us in the game with an excellent stretched save, after our defence repeatedly failed to clear their lines. Duku had our best chance in the opening 5mins, and somehow shot wide after Kalala's most meaningful contribution (what a frustrating player!). Similarly, when Reid was presented with the ball in Chesterfield's half, he fired wide.

Then we come to the midfield... Dickson and Vincent improved after the break, but were non existent in the first half. Both have been thrown in there and it's a new partnership, but it was very worrying. We can complain about injuries, but Hall is very prone to them and the fact is Lemonheigh-Evans will probably be missing til the New Year. Fingers crossed Little is back asap and stays fit. As others have suggested, Whitfield is a cracking addition and looked a bright spark throughout.

Plenty of long trips north to come; hopefully we'll see better performances and results in the coming months.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Think the result yesterday had a sense of inevitability about it- they were looking for their first win and we had 7 players out! Even then it sounded like we could have got something out of the game, but it wasn’t to be.
You can’t take the whole midfield out of a team and expect to win, this is with respect to the players that came in who are good players but need to be integrated into the playing system. Is this the problem with a relatively small squad?. Last season injuries were few and far between and a small squad worked perfectly!
Hope some players will be back next week and with 2 home games coming it is time to get back on track.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No team at this level could cope with seven first teamers out injured.