Torquay United v Harrogate Town 7/9/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Modgull wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 19:08 A little disappointed with the size of the crowd but not with the support which was good throughout.
We should retrace the evolution in attendance figures over the last three seasons before we express to much disappointment..

Since the "Coffee-Gate' season of 2017/18 we have seen an increase in attendance of 61% in our first 5 home games. Our attendance figure this season is 9% higher than our championship season of 2018/19 (and will increase as the season goes on, I'm sure). This presently put's us 6th in the National League attendance table ahead of ex-league clubs like Yeovil and Halifax and League leaders Woking.

This should be viewed as a positive which also equates to much needed additional revenue.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

With regard to attendance. I've said it before and I will say it again...........because of our location, we should go back to Saturday evening kick offs. By proper marketing to away teams fans we can promote a weekend of football. If they choose they could attend the Greek or GAWS game in the afternoon and ours in the evening. If they don't choose it gives them more time to travel down. We could also market to the away fans playing our neighbours to attend our game. It would also free up the local football players to attend. I would contact every local team, offer some of our lads to do their FIFA badges, attach them to the local team and give discounted tickets to their players. Everyone gains. Now I will sit back and wait for the joyless twats in health and safety or the clueless police to shoot the idea down.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

davethegull2 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 05:08 With regard to attendance. I've said it before and I will say it again...........because of our location, we should go back to Saturday evening kick offs. By proper marketing to away teams fans we can promote a weekend of football. If they choose they could attend the Greek or GAWS game in the afternoon and ours in the evening. If they don't choose it gives them more time to travel down. We could also market to the away fans playing our neighbours to attend our game. It would also free up the local football players to attend. I would contact every local team, offer some of our lads to do their FIFA badges, attach them to the local team and give discounted tickets to their players. Everyone gains. Now I will sit back and wait for the joyless twats in health and safety or the clueless police to shoot the idea down.
Have to say it would be great for us Exiles.......
Loved the fact the Aldershot game kicked off at 5.20pm......
However, we still left Barnsley at 10.30am and thanks to the busy M(ad) 5, didnt get to Plainmoor until 4.20pm!!!! :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

My first time at Plainmoor in a long while and a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. First half i thought we played well until the penalty decision which at the time I thought was massively soft but having seen it again it's clever play by Stead and naive from Cundy. Before that though we should have scored 3, Reidy should have scored with a left foot shot from a decent cut back from the left, Whitfield who was excellent in the first half an hour beat about 4 players and had an effort blocked and Cundy hit the post with a free header from an Andrews corner, it was then typical that we went behind.

Then they got the penalty which they scored and we lost all confidence, i was thankful for the half time whistle personally. Duku who on that performance looks way short of the standard required was replaced, if we'd been the away side he may well have got sent off for the elbow he landed on their defender (as his arms flail all over the place when he challenges for high balls!) which the useless officials didn't really see was thankfully withdrawn for Kalala who ran the game second half and along with the red card decision changed the game.

Andrews who was my personal MOTM got on the end of a centre by Wynter which Reid fluffed but thankfully Jake was behind him to slot home and level it and you think he we go let's kick on only for our poor defensive play to haunt again. we gave them so much time and space on the left hand side it seemed allowing a good ball into the box where again Stead was just wiser and stronger than Cameron and he nipped in to score. He was then sent off for a ridiculous second yellow that was harsh to the extreme, Kalvin then scored an individual screamer and from then on we totally dominated the game. Stonewall penalty naturally missed but thankfully straight to Reid for 3-2 and then an excellent finish by Reid for 4-2. Only their keeper then kept it respectable as they tired and our forward picked them apart at will.

Overall I was pleased with the performance we definitely have the attacking threat to beat anyone in this league, Reid while slightly unorthodox is effective and he's a good finisher, he was unlucky not get 3 or 4 on the day, Kalvin was outstanding and wrestled the game back for us. I thought Andrews and Vincent were good in possession and they are going to create chances as will Whitfield. Lewis was a fish out of water in midfield and with Hall coming back would improve that position. how far we can go is going to be on our defence, Lucas in goal looks a good goalkeeper, I thought Liam Davis had a very good game, I like Wynter but I thought he should have done better for the 2nd goal in stopping the cross. Cundy looks a decent prospect but is a bit raw and the same goes for Cameron. If those 2 can step their games up and get a little bit of help from elsewhere I see no reason why we can't compete for a playoff spot this year.

My MOTM was Andrews closely followed by Kalvin, Reidy and probably Liam Davis.