Torquay United v Harrogate Town 7/9/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Has anyone yet seen a ninety minute performance this season, I certainly have not, given that our best 2/3 midfielders were out it was perhaps not surprising we started so poorly, how Reidy managed to miss that sitter from six yards in the first half I will never know, how a left back head and shoulders smaller than Duku could keep out jumping him, I also do not know. Jon stead gave our centre backs a master class in how not to deal with a centre forward, yes he was dirty, physical but above all else he still has bags of class. Cundy is a good acquisition and played well for most of the game. Second half with Kalala on we played on the front foot a lot more and Reid came awake. Was I alone if having a cold chill when Reid grabbed the ball to take the penalty but fair do's he didn't panic when his tame first effort was saved and he was quickest to follow up. All in all a fair performance but we must, must tighten up at the back.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Modgull wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 19:08 Yes, poor first half. Why did we insist on going long - made Duku look like a donkey, which he isn't. Only 6 attempts and two on target although Cundy did hit the post with a header. Stead was excellent for Harrogate but everything changed after he was sent off and Kalala came on. He ran the game and the chances flowed. 16 attempts in the second half, 10 on target and 4 goals.

It is worrying that a side like Harrogate who only had 4 attempts all match and still scored 2 goals. We need to tighten up in defence - too casual at times.

Very entertaining game and impressive result given the number of first-line injuries. I disagree that the referee was poor. I thought he got all the important decisions exactly right including the sending off.

A little disappointed with the size of the crowd but not with the support which was good throughout.
The referee was to dramatic and got a lot of decisions wrong an old football friend of mine was the assessor but this is my opinion. :red:
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

arcadia wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 19:31 Does anyone know what Stead did for the second booking it was to do with Andrews.
Handball.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Yes handball. Two silly yellows cost Stead and Harrogate today. Our two new signings were excellent today and Whitfield playing in the number 10 role behind Reid may be the answer. With a quality 4 midfielders out today we did well. Still can't see the point of hitting high balls into Reid. He's so good when it's played into his feet. Kalala was on it today and at times was unplayable. Some top strikers in this league but we have the best. Can't argue with the stats. Reidy top scorer in national League!!! If we play to his strengths he could get 25 this season. Biggest task will be holding on to him.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Extraordinary how Reidy can come up with quality finishes for his goals but can't score a penalty.
Hit em high Jamie ! Who do we try next ? Maybe Liam Davis or Ben Wynter.
Thought Ryan Dickson was excellent when he came on, we need his experience
Kalala unstoppable when he's in the mood
Didn't see that result coming when we went 2-1 down but Kalalas goal gave us a real lift and it could have been 6 or 7 in the end.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Couldn't understand why we constantly played the long high ball in the first half which was meat and drink to the Harrogate defenders. I think Kalala's introduction in the second half changed the game more than Stead's sending off, although it was good to see him go. For Harrogate, read Hartlepool. Another very physical side and another weak referee who let a lot go. If these last two home games are anything to go by, it's going to be a bruising season.

Some very good performances this afternoon, notably Kalala, Wynter (my MOM), Whitfield, Davis and Vincent. Good distribution from Covolan as well.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

GJ said that after 10 games he would have a good idea who the settled first team players would be - I still have no idea. One day Kalala is not at the races and the next he plays like Messi. Cameron is solid but is being punished for his mistakes. Reid scores blinders and misses sitters. Spare a thought for poor old Duku who looked like a lame duck out there today. Not his fault, he's better than that but the players used him as traditional ‘big man’ up-front, leading the line with the long ball - that is not his strength and was certainly not in Johnsons game plan of Duku playing off the shoulder of the defender with Reidy in behind him. It worked well at Woking. Had to take Duku off and tuck the small man Whitfield in behind Reid to stop the players hitting the long balls,
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

MellowYellow wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 23:56 GJ said that after 10 games he would have a good idea who the settled first team players would be - I still have no idea. One day Kalala is not at the races and the next he plays like Messi. Cameron is solid but is being punished for his mistakes. Reid scores blinders and misses sitters. Spare a thought for poor old Duku who looked like a lame duck out there today. Not his fault, he's better than that but the players used him as traditional ‘big man’ up-front, leading the line with the long ball - that is not his strength and was certainly not in Johnsons game plan of Duku playing off the shoulder of the defender with Reidy in behind him. It worked well at Woking. Had to take Duku off and tuck the small man Whitfield in behind Reid to stop the players hitting the long balls,
Probably hit the nail on the head. One week players perform next week they don’t. No wonder GJ is frustrated in a good sense. This team on the day if at the races as such are unbeatable. The Fact remains we have 15 points from 10 games, which if we maintained would give us a season finish point tally of 69 points.
Lucy
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

All in all a good start to the season really. Shown what we can do and just need to find the consistancy. Yesterday's result makes Tuesday result look a lot better now so onwards and upwards. Better to keep on the heels at this stage of season
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

At half time I honestly thought it was going to be another of those afternoons. Plenty of chances but panicky finishing, a break away goal for them and they park the bus.
Second half, inspired substitution and the game changesd completely. Kalala was class yesterday.
Kyle Cameron was asleep for their second goal, should never have scored from a hopeful cross into the box.
The handball booking was harsh for the sending off of stead? But he should have had about 3 bookings before his first. So justice, and asa hall was sent off for something similar a couple of weeks ago.
Listening to Gary Johnson on Radio Devon he said that ,even in games, they can be a+ at times and c- at others. Yesterday was a microcosm of our season so far. Bit more consistency and we could make the play offs.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

I think 2 things changed the game. Obviously the sending off of Stead, stupid 2 bookings in my opinion, and taking Duko off who seemed very much off the pace and uncompetitive, maybe he didn’t fancy it or something?
Think this league is wide open this season with all the ‘fancied’ teams appearing to be struggling with Chesterfield now at the bottom and winless. Just hope they don’t get that next Saturday!
If we can get a run going similar to last season (obviously it won’t be as easy as last season) then who knows where we will end up!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Following on from all the previous posts I tend to agree, consistency in our team performances is lacking, we have a team who can at times be brilliant, and follow it up with 'the good, bad and the ugly' all rolled into one match.

Yesterday as said by others think the main turning point was the Stead sending off, the way Kalala was playing you always felt there was something in the game for us, by I personally felt with Stead on the field there was for them also.

The referee not to many complaints there, the key decisions think he got right, the Davis booking for diving rather than an award for a penalty, you just have to look at the reaction of Davis, and our team, Davis himself didn't put up much of a protest, the rest the no protest what so ever, they knew the ref was right, as for the Harrogate penalty think it was Cundy ( maybe wrong) his hands were on the back of their player, he's going down, more often than not, it's going to be given, apart from some cheap yellow cards, and some inconsistency on what was judged to be, or not to be a foul (normal) didn't think the referee was that bad.

Kalala played like a man possessed when he came on, so maybe some brilliant man management from GJ , because he looked a pale shadow of the player we saw yesterday in some recent games. For me the big positive yesterday was actually the defence , ok, despite being brutally punished for 2 mistakes, the positive was, our defensive errors yesterday were few and far between, for the first time this season I didn't have my heart in mouth every time the opposition attacked.

For me sorry, but just have to be honest, nothing personal but Naite is a gord darn walking liability of a centre back at this level, can't see him getting back into the team for a while, Still like Cameron, seems to be having a his own personal confidence battle at the moment, but think he's got the potential to go on, sadly unlike Naite who seems to be a step above his level, Lucas Colovan seems to be gaining in confidence with every game, great to see him start to come a claim crosses, and gives us fans greater confidence to see the keeper hold to everything that comes his way.

All in all on what I've seen so far, really do think the team has enough to challenge for a play-off spot, but for that to happen as we all know, there has to be greater consistency, or one or two player additions, so far a decent enough start to the season, now have to build on it, and not step backwards.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

I jnow wha you mean, forever, niate is a frustrating player to watch, has all the attributes, does so much that is good and then has a complete mindf***.
Thought his best was second half against hartlepool except the headed chance up front late on.
That said, by and large he features in most posters top 5. Worth persevering with, but maybe a league too far. about the same as Kyle cameron but nowhere near as good as cundy.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Highlights:
The gulls are going up