Torquay United v Aldershot Town 24/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

People said that he wouldn't look so good without Janneh creating space for him - in fact he's looked even better.

Words fail me - what a ridiculous comment to make. He's probably scored the national league goal of the season for feck sake. You are making yourself look a complete horses arse. Please shut up.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Don't forget Connor Lemon-Haigh Evans work rate he is playing now in his Bristol City position off of the front he turned down Liverpool for Bristol City. Jamie Ried has good quick service from him which he is reacting to.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I have a question for all the Jamie Reid fans on this forum. Reid has played well over 100 times for Torquay. Since the mid 1970s when I first started supporting the club, where does Reid rank amongst the strikers we've had in the last 40 years. Players like Willie Brown, Clint Boulton, Steve Cooper, Les Lawrence, David Graham, Mark Loram, Tim Sills, and the dozens of other goalscorers that have played for the club. I'd be very surprised if anyone would have Reid in their top 20.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I think Clint Boulton was a central defender for the club in the early to mid-1970's and damn good he was too. I personally feel that Jamie Reid has the potential to be just as good as the players mentioned above - time will tell but he certainly has the right attitude and work rate.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Clint Boulton played as both a striker and a centre half for Torquay.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I may be getting on a bit and losing my memory Matt but I was an ever-present at Plainmoor from the years 1972 to 1978 (when I left Torquay to go to Uni in London), but I don't ever remember Clint Boulton playing as a recognised striker although he did score 34 goals during his Torquay career. This would put him near the bottom of the 'league table ' of players you have mentioned.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Yes budegull1954 I remember him in the no 9 shirt and one particular game I can remember that having used our one and only substitute, Clint got injured and spent the last few minutes at centre half with his boot wrapped up in a bandage!!!!! i must add though that wikipedia says he played both as a centre half and a full back.
Last edited by dawlishmatt on 25 Aug 2019, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

I remember going to Belle Vue Doncaster in the 1970's and seeing Clint score a hat trick in what I think was a 4-0 victory. All the more remarkable because around that time we would be lucky to win 2 or 3 games away from home all season! :)
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

dawlishmatt wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 18:52 I have a question for all the Jamie Reid fans on this forum. Reid has played well over 100 times for Torquay. Since the mid 1970s when I first started supporting the club, where does Reid rank amongst the strikers we've had in the last 40 years. Players like Willie Brown, Clint Boulton, Steve Cooper, Les Lawrence, David Graham, Mark Loram, Tim Sills, and the dozens of other goalscorers that have played for the club. I'd be very surprised if anyone would have Reid in their top 20.
I have to say that goalscoring legend Robin Stubbs sitting behind me yesterday was pretty impressed with Jamie Reid's strike. Does that answer the question?
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Nope
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

All this with jamie Reid, end of day for me doesn't matter how well he has or has not played in the past. It's the current that matters and if he keeps scoring then merry it be
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

dawlishmatt wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 12:49 A few weeks ago I posted an article concerning Jamie Reid and my belief that the National league Premier was a step to far for Reid. In my comments I mentioned that this is his fourth season at the club, the first two seasons he played 77 matches and scored only 9 goals in this league. This season Jamie Reid has scored four goals in 6 games, yesterday I thought it was his best game I have seen him play for the club which included a fantastic goal.
Jamie Reid may go on and score 20+ goals this season and I hope he does, but I think it's a bit early after just 6 matches to say that he is good enough at this level.
For those older supporters, I want to take you back to the late 1980s and a striker that the late Cyril Knowles signed for the club, Carl Aiery. Most supporters who remember Aiery would probably say he was useless and I agree. Despite being rubbish, Aiery jointly holds a club record alongside the great Sammy Collins as scoring in seven consecutive league matches for Torquay United.
When I look at Jamie Reid I think is he scoring goals because he is a good striker or is it because we are such a good attacking unit which creates so many chances that a striker from the South devon league would score. I guess only time will tell.
This comment is beyond stupid.

You think if we had Finch or whatever his name was, up front, he’d be scoring the goals Reid has?
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

dawlishmatt wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 18:52 I have a question for all the Jamie Reid fans on this forum. Reid has played well over 100 times for Torquay. Since the mid 1970s when I first started supporting the club, where does Reid rank amongst the strikers we've had in the last 40 years. Players like Willie Brown, Clint Boulton, Steve Cooper, Les Lawrence, David Graham, Mark Loram, Tim Sills, and the dozens of other goalscorers that have played for the club. I'd be very surprised if anyone would have Reid in their top 20.
Well done Matt,

You’ve managed to convince most of us that you’re not Uncle Clarke’s stooge.

Now please stop trying to pretend you know what you’re talking about by making posts about subjects beyond your knowledge. In your (less than) comprehensive list of goal scorers you have managed to forget (or not know about) both Paul Dobson AND Dave Caldwell. A heinous omission in my book. Sort it out mate or people will start to call you much worse than an idiot.

Oh, and by the way, I went to see my GP last week and he says my mental health is fine.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

dawlishmatt wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 12:49 A few weeks ago I posted an article concerning Jamie Reid and my belief that the National league Premier was a step to far for Reid. In my comments I mentioned that this is his fourth season at the club, the first two seasons he played 77 matches and scored only 9 goals in this league. This season Jamie Reid has scored four goals in 6 games, yesterday I thought it was his best game I have seen him play for the club which included a fantastic goal.
Jamie Reid may go on and score 20+ goals this season and I hope he does, but I think it's a bit early after just 6 matches to say that he is good enough at this level.
For those older supporters, I want to take you back to the late 1980s and a striker that the late Cyril Knowles signed for the club, Carl Aiery. Most supporters who remember Aiery would probably say he was useless and I agree. Despite being rubbish, Aiery jointly holds a club record alongside the great Sammy Collins as scoring in seven consecutive league matches for Torquay United.
When I look at Jamie Reid I think is he scoring goals because he is a good striker or is it because we are such a good attacking unit which creates so many chances that a striker from the South devon league would score. I guess only time will tell.
Bloody hell you have some grudge against Reid. His first 3 seasons he was played out of position in a fire fighting squad. Now we have a manager who has played him in the right position he is scoring goals. Is it his fault as you state we have a good attacking squad, can’t be a bad thing surely
Lucy
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Caldwellanddobson, I find your comments interesting. Dave Caldwell was a fantastic footballer and also one of the dirtiest players to ever wear the Torquay shirt. I remember one out of many incidents of violence that Caldwell inflicted on an apponent at plainmoor very well. On this particular day, Caldwell deliberately pushed an opponent defender off the ball so hard the the poor player crashed into the advertising boards behind the goal at the Babacombe end and was carried off on a stretcher. In my opinion, football has no place for thugs like Caldwell, even though he was a great player. Paul Dobson was a great goalscorer, I remember seeing him score 4 goals at Halifax in a 4-2 win for the Gull's but he wasn't a footballer in the sense that Mark loram, Steve Cooper and many others did so much more than score goals. If Paul Dobson was playing today, then yes he would certainly make my starting 11. lucy6lucy, I have nothing against Jamie Reid or any other player in the Torquay team, in fact if you read my previous post I said that I thought that Reid on Saturday had in my opinion, his best game in a Torquay shirt. I can remember many many years ago, speaking to David Thomas who said that when the great Stevie Cooper was through on goal, you knew you had a better than 50/50 chance of the ball hitting the back of the net. Can you honestly say the same thing about Jamie Reid? In the 80 or so games that I have seen Jamie Reid play, in my opinion the answer is definitely no.