Torquay United v Aldershot Town 24/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Brilliant to see us on BT Sport and a lovely three points. I still think there is work to be done but we look as though we are in the mix which is good. It's a marathon not a sprint as Woking found out last year!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Jamie Reid has always needed to play in a team where he can just remain up the field, allow everyone else to do the hard work and score a goal or two. That's exactly what he did yesterday. The criticism of Reid has always been a little unfair, because he'll never be the player some expected him to be. I'm not saying he's not expected to put the effort in; dribble, tackle, run and go for headers, but his role is to be a striker, allow everyone to feed him and for him to get the ball in the net. It's working again thus far.

Impressed with what I saw yesterday, despite, like aforementioned, that's the worst Aldershot side I've seen. However, we dealt with the physicality of Aldershot's frontline, looked solid at the back and used the width very well. Opi was class and we moved the ball around beautifully at times in the midfield.

This will be my 17th season watching Torquay and throughout those 17 years we have never, ever had a simply mid-table season. We are either up the top, or down the bottom. So, fighting for the play-offs it is! Debating whether to make the Barnet trip tomorrow or not...

COYY!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well, chasing down Woking again - for now anyway. If Aldershot can win there I'm sure we can in 10 days but it's a funny game. Didn't think Aldershot were that bad, had a fair amount of the ball and won their share of seconds too bit were clueless in the final third though we did defend well, the best game as a pair I have seen from Cameron and Niate. Wynter and Davis excellent too. It's what you do in the two penalty areas that determine your season if that's not a too obvious and "utterly stupid" thing to say. Better be careful or I will get reprimanded by that arrogant twerp who runs the other forum. A well respected and knowledgeable fan commented that Reid's turn and goal had Robin Stubbs written all over it.
I would agree.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Don't think we are getting the credit - Its all very well saying Aldershot were poor but other teams have found them difficult to beat.

Playing teams around the top seven is irrelevant because there is only half a dozen games gone. Bromley are second and we should have beaten them away from home. Maidenhead keep winning but they were basically overrun by us and could quite easily have been hammered.

We seemed to play slightly differently yesterday - with Kalala and Edwards on the flanks (normally both don't play) and Covolan constantly aiming long balls to the wingers.

A solid win and it was bloody hot as well yesterday.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

brucie wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 11:30 Don't think we are getting the credit - Its all very well saying Aldershot were poor but other teams have found them difficult to beat.

Playing teams around the top seven is irrelevant because there is only half a dozen games gone. Bromley are second and we should have beaten them away from home. Maidenhead keep winning but they were basically overrun by us and could quite easily have been hammered.

We seemed to play slightly differently yesterday - with Kalala and Edwards on the flanks (normally both don't play) and Covolan constantly aiming long balls to the wingers.

A solid win and it was bloody hot as well yesterday.
I completely agree with this. People (including loads of Aldershot fans on their forum) saying that Aldershot were appalling are doing Torquay a disservice. I genuinely didn't think they were awful, they were just outclassed by a team that was well-drilled, disciplined and operating at a high-tempo. It wasn't that Aldershot were awful, we just played very well.

As an aside, how bloody good does Reid's goal look on the BT Sport replay, eh? What a bloody cracker of a goal. He controlled the ball brilliantly.
TUST member 203
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

A few weeks ago I posted an article concerning Jamie Reid and my belief that the National league Premier was a step to far for Reid. In my comments I mentioned that this is his fourth season at the club, the first two seasons he played 77 matches and scored only 9 goals in this league. This season Jamie Reid has scored four goals in 6 games, yesterday I thought it was his best game I have seen him play for the club which included a fantastic goal.
Jamie Reid may go on and score 20+ goals this season and I hope he does, but I think it's a bit early after just 6 matches to say that he is good enough at this level.
For those older supporters, I want to take you back to the late 1980s and a striker that the late Cyril Knowles signed for the club, Carl Aiery. Most supporters who remember Aiery would probably say he was useless and I agree. Despite being rubbish, Aiery jointly holds a club record alongside the great Sammy Collins as scoring in seven consecutive league matches for Torquay United.
When I look at Jamie Reid I think is he scoring goals because he is a good striker or is it because we are such a good attacking unit which creates so many chances that a striker from the South devon league would score. I guess only time will tell.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Words fail me after reading that especially the last paragraph
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

dawlishmatt wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 12:49 A few weeks ago I posted an article concerning Jamie Reid and my belief that the National league Premier was a step to far for Reid. In my comments I mentioned that this is his fourth season at the club, the first two seasons he played 77 matches and scored only 9 goals in this league. This season Jamie Reid has scored four goals in 6 games, yesterday I thought it was his best game I have seen him play for the club which included a fantastic goal.
Jamie Reid may go on and score 20+ goals this season and I hope he does, but I think it's a bit early after just 6 matches to say that he is good enough at this level.
For those older supporters, I want to take you back to the late 1980s and a striker that the late Cyril Knowles signed for the club, Carl Aiery. Most supporters who remember Aiery would probably say he was useless and I agree. Despite being rubbish, Aiery jointly holds a club record alongside the great Sammy Collins as scoring in seven consecutive league matches for Torquay United.
When I look at Jamie Reid I think is he scoring goals because he is a good striker or is it because we are such a good attacking unit which creates so many chances that a striker from the South devon league would score. I guess only time will tell.
He's scoring goals because he's a good striker. If and possibly when he finds some consistency he won't be with us for long because everyone is after that striker. Bit of a rough diamond in my opinion and is improving all the time. Certainly a bit more mobile than Carl Aiery. Some goal he scored yesterday which brought the whole crowd to their feet!!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have been watching pro football for 65 years and I can tell you some of our free flowing play is quite outstanding.

Jamie Reid is improving rapidly and by that I mean his all round play. Gary knows how to get the best out of Jamie and he is really coming out of his shell and loving the game. Good on you Jamie.

Aldershot have only conceded 8 goals in 6 games so they are not rubbish. No easy games in this League whoever we play.

Gary is being challenged by who to pick in at least 3 positions as I suspect 8 players are nailed on to start if fit.
It is a good problem to have but Gary is a real thinker and very rarely if ever gets it wrong.

Barnet will be tough but they don't score many so far anyway.

I will go for a 1-1 draw.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

dawlishmatt wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 12:49 A few weeks ago I posted an article concerning Jamie Reid and my belief that the National league Premier was a step to far for Reid. In my comments I mentioned that this is his fourth season at the club, the first two seasons he played 77 matches and scored only 9 goals in this league. This season Jamie Reid has scored four goals in 6 games, yesterday I thought it was his best game I have seen him play for the club which included a fantastic goal.
Give the lad a break! **** hell, embarrassing comments
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

dawlishmatt wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 12:49 Jamie Reid may go on and score 20+ goals this season ... is he scoring goals because he is a good striker or is it because we are such a good attacking unit which creates so many chances that a striker from the South devon league would score.
Everyone has the right to be stupid but you are now abusing that privilege.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Reid has shown that with confidence he can score goals at this levels. I did wonder at the start of the season, but he has shown he can do it. Also, watching the Champions DVD the team is set up around Reid making those dangerous runs.
On another note, I had Niate as my MOTM because he faced the greatest challenge Aldershot had to offer, however there is room for improvement. He allows forwards to make make contact with him and too easily gets blocked from jumping and winning the ball cleanly. Cameron times his headers far better.
TUST number 080
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Mellow Yellow. Only one person can prove if as you say it your comments that I am stupid. If you read my comments then you will see that I said that in my opinion Jamie Reid yesterday played his best game in a Torquay shirt. If Jamie Reid plays like that every week, he's got no chance of scoring 20+ goals for Torquay this season as he will be going in the next transfer window.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

'Reid's goal had Robin Stubbs written all over it.' Yes, not being at the game I watched the excerpt which showed Reid's goal. It certainly was very well taken and had a touch of the stylish about it. Apart from the Codgery, I suspect that most of the contributors to this site have really no idea of the ability and style of Stubbs. Today he would not be out of place in the Premiership. Reid's goal would be normal fare for Stubbs. I'm not putting down Reid's effort in any way, the difference between he and Stubbs - among many other things - is that Stubbsy, especially when he was running either off the ball, or with it, and especially when shooting, moved like the thoroughbred horse he was. It's the movement, above all else, that differentiates Stubbs from Reid. Reid, to use an horse-racing analogy, would win a Novices Plate at Newton Abbot, but Stubbsy would win the Derby.
Also, the correct spelling is Airey.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

wivelgull i'm not so sure. i would have to back Jamie Reid each way !!!!!!!!!!!