Torquay United v Aldershot Town 24/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

Just having a laugh at everyone singing Reidy’s praises. Half of you wanted him gone last year and abused him on Twitter. I stuck by him the whole time. You know who you are. COYY
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Don't think Aldershot were awful. Their gameplan was to disrupt us physically but we had enough quality to deal with it. l left the ground fairly late and when they came out for the warm down all the boys looked tired and a bit battered. They put in a great effort to get and keep the right to play the football they wanted to.
TUST number 080
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Lloyder5 wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 20:24 Don't think Aldershot were awful. Their gameplan was to disrupt us physically but we had enough quality to deal with it. l left the ground fairly late and when they came out for the warm down all the boys looked tired and a bit battered. They put in a great effort to get and keep the right to play the football they wanted to.
They're weren't dreadful. We played far, far worse in the National League South, but they neither had pace nor any particularly skilful players. At no time during the match did I ever feel that they were even close to getting a goal.
TUST member 203
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Yep, I agree Lucas didn't have a save to make. Scoring just before HT released any pressure that might have built in the second half
TUST number 080
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

divingbboy wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 20:31 They're weren't dreadful. We played far, far worse in the National League South, but they neither had pace nor any particularly skilful players. At no time during the match did I ever feel that they were even close to getting a goal.

Seven pages of Shots fans comments on their forum would disagree with you - "Truly truly awful" as one Shots fan put it.

Looking forward to the Barnet game now - not sure if many Gulls supporter will be in attendance but it's a nice ground and should be a defining game as to whether we are play off material this season.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I don't think you can big up the Aldershot side. Very limited, never looked like scoring, absolutely killed off by the two goals either side of half time. I think they will end up this season where they should have ended up last season, back in the NLS.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I thought Aldershot were OK.

7th place now - play off position.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Not bigging them up. Rather point out that they presented a physical challenge that our boys overcame. Dealing with the physicality of this league was something that many were banging on about a couple of weeks ago. We showed we can compete and earn the right to play our football.
Last edited by Lloyder5 on 24 Aug 2019, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
TUST number 080
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Aldershot were poor for sure. However they haven't really got a decent squad then again they were supposed to be in a division lower than this so you would think they will be one of the favourites to go down. As for us first half we played in bits and most of our shots were off target. Reid took his superbly and once the second went in we were never going to lose. A few fans seem to moan we weren't chasing every ball but we have a very hard game on Monday and saw the game out well.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Aldershot may have been poor today, but do not forget they beat Woking at Woking (again), so are capable of winning :keepie:
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I thought our midfield appeared to look more balanced with Little and Andrews in the middle with Opi and Calvin in the wider roles.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

What a return for L.Davis, thought he was brilliant this afternoon - my M.o.M

Have to say although our keeper didnt have to make any saves all of Aldershots best opportunities came from errors by us rather than their play

Heres a link to appreciate Reids turn and finish

https://x.com/btsportfootball/status/11 ... 5179240448
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

Road2League2 wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 20:23 Just having a laugh at everyone singing Reidy’s praises. Half of you wanted him gone last year and abused him on Twitter. I stuck by him the whole time. You know who you are. COYY

Been away for 12 months just got out 🤔 what a difference 12 months make you lot all calling Reidy now look top goal scorer . Camper van up and running again should be down at Barnet Monday if Road2League2 wants to stay over, gerb & Knight rider also welcome 😂 :scarf:
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Thought we were excellent today. Much the better side all over. Our defence looked particularly assured. Encouraging.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

That's it Aldershot beat Woking and only just lost to Solihull. You can only beat whats in front of you.