Torquay United Vs Dover 17.8.19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 14:02 If, but, maybe. 😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬
Okay with 'Had' ?? ;-)
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Yeah had is OK 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

portugull wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 14:11 Gary has made it clear to the squad that this season is very much about using the squad and therefore at least 14 of the squad know their place is not guaranteed match to match.

This is a good thing because our bench is strong and a player coming off the bench knows Gary is expecting them to make an impact.

Pro football is more and more about having strength in depth if you want success. Look at the status of some of the players in the Premier League who start the match on the bench.With a quarter of the 46 games coming in August and September I think you will find come October that all of them will have featured in some way barring injury.
I understand all that, but after filling in at left back and showing his class going forward, I still feel that Vincent must count himself unfortunate not being one of the subs. However, with a strong subs bench of Edwards, Lewis, MacDonald, Keating and Touray, who do you leave out? Presumably if Asa's appeal fails, Frankie will get a chance to play in a midfield position against Aldershot. Unless Connor drops back into midfield and either Manny Duku or Touray plays upfront with Jamie Reid. Who'd be a manager, eh??
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Unfortunatly i wasn't at the match yesterday ( bloody grandchildren ) but by all accounts we were excellent, so why change a winning team. The squad are full time professionals and Gary Johnson has said that the squad is one of the fittest in the league. The greatest player in the world, Lionel Messi says that if fully fit, he expects to start every game. Surely you should expect the manager to always start with the strongest 11 and not rest players.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

tomogull I respect your opinion but I suspect Gary Johnson decided with Liam Davis ready to play he would rest his youngest player, Frankie is 19, after 4 gruelling games playing out of position.
He will have told Frankie I am resting you and you have nothing to fear because you did a good job.
I have noticed Gary really looks after his young players and nurtures their development which creates real trust with the parent club.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Agreed I thought that Vincent was excellent in the week.

That said its hard to see him getting a game in midfield, as he has four in front of him it seems.

It would also seem that Buse will probably end up at Bideford soon as the only way he is going to get a game for Torquay United is with the ladies team.
milber
New Signing
New Signing

Post by milber »

Not done a match report for quite some time, but here goes;
We set up base camp in the rugby ground and gazed up to see the family stand towering like a monument above us.
Living in Suffolk for a many a year the legs honed on the 7 hills of Torquay have gone somewhat soft. So with trepidation we donned our climbing gear, went to the sign saying away supporters and headed off up an overgrown twisting path. Just like Snowdon you get to the top and find you could have got a train. But here it was a golf buggy for the less mobile.
Still, we were greeted to a warm welcome and the news that the match was likely to be de-segregated as there were only 30 of us.
We were then sent through a high sided walkway like lambs to the slaughter…. but not today.
From the terrace the slope was really noticeable and pretty much all game, players appeared to find it hard to keep the ball in play on the dug out side. Their RB in particular was guilty of kicking the ball out when trying to line it.
The first half was largely frustrating. I may be doing some a disservice but it looked like we lacked confidence. We had 2 free kicks in dangerous positions, one tamely curled to the keeper and the other chipped into the mixer, when it was crying out for a wallop.
I thought our movement up front was lacking on occasion, which made the final ball difficult. We would work hard to win the ball back, get to midfield and Reid especially didn`t offer an outlet for midfield. He seemed to prefer to hold his ground or move away from the ball. He may not be the type of player that gambles or makes runs to create openings, but I like to see front players pointing for a pass to be made and then make an angled run to it. His body language didn`t look positive enough for me. But what can you say against a forward who has a good record now of 3 from 5. But could he create some assists on top of his goals?
When Kalala had the ball out wide it begged for movement ahead of him, but there was nothing, so he would end up going down a blind alley. His head visibly dropped.
We played too many long balls which were easy for the defence, or free kicks that were straight. I like to see a straight pass with an angled run or vice versa, and make the defence turn. Too many balls were sent in the same line as the run, so just ran away from the forward.
A couple of times we looked vulnerable on hopeful through balls and had a few scares but generally the half was quite even but with us looking to play the football.
A lot of players were slipping over, not sure why. You would hope that in the warm up they would have identified which studs to use. I note Davis said after that the pitch was dry, would that be a factor?
So at H-T we swapped ends. This brought back memories when as a school boy I shared my time between the covered comfort of the mini stand and the exposed railway sleepers of the Babbacombe end. Lucky we did as we got a great view of both goals.
Dover came out and played the ball around like they had the birthday boys ranting still ringing in their ears. It didn`t last long though and we had a spell which knocked the stuffing out of the vocal fans and the players.
2 good goals. In contrast to the first half we looked a real threat and created loads of chances. But if there was any criticism it would be that the midfield and forwards appeared to get in each others way at times. I wonder if the formation is suiting some, or may be just that they need time to gel. Edwards was a real threat when he came on and relieved a lot of pressure with some good direct running. Still we are TUFC and you know the last 10 minutes is going to be nervy. Their subs caused us problems, they got the penalty and had 2 free kicks on their right of the box which you felt was going to lead to us throwing it away. But not this time.
Defence generally coped well, more frustrated with the lack of movement ahead of midfield. Would also like to see more shots when given half a chance. But that observation may be affected by the fact I spent all game standing behind the goal we were attacking.
How Dover beat Barnet & Wrexham I don’t know. I guess it shows anyone can beat anyone in this league, apart from Solihull and Woking, at the moment. But how long will that last?
We are a young side, we will have some blips on the way but with GJ in charge if he can’t guide us to at least a play off place, no one can. It looks like another rollercoaster season ahead.
A great result. Well done to the players, GJ, coaches and Dover ground staff for making it a really enjoyable day out.
With a few tweaks, I feel there real hope for the rest of the season. :scarf:
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Match highlights on Dover's club site (at least you can get full-screen unlike TUFC TV!):

http://www.doverathletic.com/news/match ... ay-united/
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

budegull1954 wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 15:00 (at least you can get full-screen unlike TUFC TV!):
If you press Shift and f on your keyboard that should expand to full screen.

You can also press play then hover your cursor next to the small box in the bottom right hand corner of the you tube screen - an option for "full screen" should pop up - click of the mouse and again screen should expand.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Many thanks Gloomy - showing my age! The Dover website highlights had slow motion replays of the goals - I don't recall TUFC TV doing the same thing. Jamie Reid's header looks even better slowed down!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

That cross for Reid’s goal!!

😍😍

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

[mention]Scott Brehaut[/mention]

Just like Carlisle 😉
Last edited by Louis on 19 Aug 2019, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the mention (need to type first few characters and select name from dropdown mate)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Well one thing for sure the header did not hit the bar but most of all we should not have let the Dover player get his cross into the box.

Has it been established if the Red Card is one match ban or 3 match ban.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Was ASA Hall booked for dissent?

If so 2 match ban. If not I think it is a one match ban.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Confirmed on Devon Live no appeal and a one match ban for Asa.