Torquay United Vs Dover 17.8.19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

PhilGull wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 16:25 [highlight=yellow]I really don't understand the panic from some quarters[/highlight]. We're playing without a proper left-back, GJ hasn't settled on his best midfield yet and the Reid/Duku partnership needs a few more minutes under it's belt. Give it another 2/3 games and I am sure we will start firing on all cylinders. If we perform tomorrow like we did on Tuesday with just a little more luck in front of goal then I can see us winning comfortably.

Onwards and upwards!

Prediciton:
2-1 Win. Reid & Duku. 2000 in attendance.

*Oh, and the people booing the team? Well those knuckle draggers can all **** right off.

Agree PhilGull.
It seems there are some Richard Head posters on here who have very short memories.....
Think back to this time last season.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I will readily admit I am not a member of the Reidy fan club, because he frustrates me so, however to say he cannot cut it at this level is plainly nonsense, he has both the experience of playing at a higher level and at this level, while I readily admit his chances to conversion stats as a striker must be horrific reading for a manager he will always have those Ready days when he can score regardless of whoever is going to clog him, I believe that Reidy and Kalala are both the same type of player, personality wise, they never quite believe in their own ability, Reidy can score stunning goals and miss chances that my grandson could convert. Kalala the same, where he can dribble through a team and seem so surprised by what he has done he totally forgets what to do with the final ball.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Who's Terry?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 16:34 If the cap fits..... :)
And here lies the reason SNW is qualified to identify an idiot, obviously he's a closet milliner.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Don't think it's fair to say Reidy struggled in the National League last time as he was not playing in attack minded teams and in poor teams at that and seldom as a striker but mostly out wide.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Quite like to see a formation change

------------------McDonald
Wynter - Cameron - Niate - Vincent
-------LH-Evans --Hall -- Andrews
Kalala ------------Duku ----------Reid
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

If you are travelling, avoid M20 as closed in both directions around Ashford. (55 mile diversion) Use A2/M2/A2 route, but allow extra time, as will be much busier.
I do not know how to add a link, but if you go to KENTLIVE.NEWS, you can get more information. Good luck!
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Iv'e just been looking at jamie Reid's form in the time he has been at Torquay. In the 2016/17 season, whilst on loan from Exeter, Reid made 46 appearances in the national league, scoring 4 goals. In the 2017/18 season, Reid made 27 appearances in the national league and scored 5 goals. So that's 9 goals in 73 matches at this level. As an average, Jamie Reid scores 1 goal every 8 matches. Doe's anyone think that being our main striker, these satistics are good enough to get us into the play offs?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Did you read my post ? He was seldom played as a central striker in those seasons and in a team creating few chances. Judge him on how many goals he gets this season.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Hi desperado. Yes I did read your post very carefully. My point is that Jamie Reid is not a proven goalscorer at this level. Whilst you are correct in saying that he never played much as an out and out striker in many games, he was a striker in several and a ratio of a goal every 8 matches is something that I would expect a centre half coming forward for set pieces to have.
Jamie Reid may go on and score 20+ goals this season and I for one hope that this is the case, but only time will tell.
Marc T
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Marc T »

wivelgull wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 17:47Who's Terry?

He's the guy who goes to very few matches, but "watches" most games on the radio, wants rid of Mcdonald as Dave Thomas commentry suggested the keeper could have got to a few balls.
So despite watching live games, seeing what the players positioning is and what they do when they are "off" the ball, he is totally reliant on radio commentry and makes comments based on these.

Which of course, he is entitled to do.

But unless you're at a live game, one can't see the whole picture.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Feel Dover are a bit of a bogey team, can't see us winning today :(
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Teigngull wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 19:19 And here lies the reason SNW is qualified to identify an idiot, obviously he's a closet milliner.
I'm not qualified in any way to identify that.
You don't need mine or anyone else's help when you make that self assessment.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Disregarding that complete arsehole who has posted above, any fool can see by either watching the games either live or recorded that Macdonald has been responsible for about half the goals that we have conceded.

Dave Thomas concluded that Macdonald "has got to do better than that" after he fecked up the corner and lost us the three points last Saturday. Hargreaves on the Vanarama program commented "he won't ever want to see that one again" alluding to the same error. If you watch it back its as bad as it looks.

Not a one off though is it? he's at it again on Tuesday night - whilst the other keeper is performing miracles "Coco" Macdonald gifts them a goal by dropping a routine shot he had to save. The only other shot of any note he had to save in the game he somehow manage to parry straight at the feet of their striker who luckily missed it.

Still never mind its only the odd howler - oh **** me no wait a minute he's dived over a 30 yard trickler at Solihull to put us on the back foot before the game has hardly started.

Never mind - once Niate starts heading corners that he misses off the line and Reid starts scoring 4 goals a game we fill be just fine.
JSP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JSP »

:goodpost:
brucie wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 12:39 Disregarding that complete arsehole who has posted above, any fool can see by either watching the games either live or recorded that Macdonald has been responsible for about half the goals that we have conceded.

Dave Thomas concluded that Macdonald "has got to do better than that" after he fecked up the corner and lost us the three points last Saturday. Hargreaves on the Vanarama program commented "he won't ever want to see that one again" alluding to the same error. If you watch it back its as bad as it looks.

Not a one off though is it? he's at it again on Tuesday night - whilst the other keeper is performing miracles "Coco" Macdonald gifts them a goal by dropping a routine shot he had to save. The only other shot of any note he had to save in the game he somehow manage to parry straight at the feet of their striker who luckily missed it.

Still never mind its only the odd howler - oh **** me no wait a minute he's dived over a 30 yard trickler at Solihull to put us on the back foot before the game has hardly started.

Never mind - once Niate starts heading corners that he misses off the line and Reid starts scoring 4 goals a game we fill be just fine.