Torquay United v Maidenhead United 13/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I believe it will come together - the big signings prior to the first game effectively makes these games ‘pre-season’

Who do you choose to run the middle of the pack from all these?!

Kalala
Andrews
Edwards
Keating
Hall
Little
CLE
Vincent
Dickson

Ideally Reid and Duku need game time together on the front line to form a partnership and if that doesn’t work one of them needs to make way for someone who can partner the other.

Once we’ve balanced out the middle the defence shouldn’t have so much to cope with but I would have thought something needs to be done anyway to slow the leaks at the back

COYY
kerswellgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by kerswellgull »

Kalala clearly has exceptional ability if properly utilised
First half they often doubled up on him
Towards the end of the second half he was appealing for the ball
When he did get it he usually passed it off or cut inside into traffic
With a tiring defence there was room for him to use his spped and skill to go into the area behind the defender
Surely this is something that can be drummed into a winger,
Stick to your touchline and push into the space
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

In reply to desperado, under Owers I wasn't depressed I was in therapy, god, I get a shiver thinking back to those days, and after us, to think some dick head gave him a job at the FA, and for gls I agree our midfield is over run with talent that any club in this league would rip your hand off to have, our embarrassment of riches does not alter the fact that Little will continue running the show from the middle ,not that he is the same class as CLE but he is Johnsons choice.
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

Last night:

Chorley 1 Solihull Moors 6.

You did well to loose only 3 -0 to Solihull.

Have a good day.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Fred Perry wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 13:46 Last night:

Chorley 1 Solihull Moors 6.

You did well to loose only 3 -0 to Solihull.

Have a good day.
Bore off. Have you not got your own forum?
Stolfer
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Michael Poke

Post by Stolfer »

We have by far one of the best squads in this league, one of the best managers and back room staff too but if you forget your training it goes to pot as seen. Once they have it inbeded in there heads you'll see results like last season . Bet you'll see two more dodgy games that are close then we will see that discipline have been restored. Worst thing as fans can do is to give up support 4 games in....i bet in three games time anyone of the player can step up to the mark when called upon.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

desperado wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 10:05 If that performance last night depressed you Culmstock , I wouldn't like to have seen you after a Gary Owers game !
I'm thinking along your lines desperado - now Gary Owers was in manic depression after games - GJ was just throughly disappointed, and rightly so - he feels the pain of the supporters and is basically annoyed with the players for not sticking to the game plan thus losing structure. At least GJ is not making excuses - he knows what's going wrong and will attempt to instill into the players his philosophy on how the game needs to be played for the full 90 mins.

Are the players up to it? Time will tell! - this is a young side and the expectations following on from last seasons success can feel overwhelming on such young players and can weigh heavy on their confidence. We must continue supporting the team as booing a matched lost will not help boost their confidence for the rest of the campaign.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Following GJ’s after match interview I am 100% sure that all those that showed decent and booing are not fans, they are those fair weather fans that turn up when we are winning. Where have they been over the last 6 years? They are welcome but please don’t doubt this team and especially the Manager (Gary Johnson if you don’t know his name) he is too good for this league and we are lucky to have him, and the players are lucky also, but they will repay him and consequently get us back to the football league where we arguably deserve to be.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 12:02 I believe it will come together - the big signings prior to the first game effectively makes these games ‘pre-season’

Who do you choose to run the middle of the pack from all these?!

Kalala
Andrews
Edwards
Keating
Hall
Little
CLE
Vincent
Dickson

Ideally Reid and Duku need game time together on the front line to form a partnership and if that doesn’t work one of them needs to make way for someone who can partner the other.

Once we’ve balanced out the middle the defence shouldn’t have so much to cope with but I would have thought something needs to be done anyway to slow the leaks at the back

COYY
An interesting question at this stage. We have some very versatile players . Sometimes successful formations and teams are stumbled upon because of injury's or suspensions. Little, for me should be the first player on the team sheet. He's box to box, has a bit of quality and isn't afraid to get stuck in. CLE arrived late and is quality so it's almost like we will play him anywhere as long as he's on the pitch. What about Little and CLE in the middle with Hall dropping back at centre half. I'm sure we have the players for at least a mid table finish or better. It's going to be an interesting season !!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I was disappointed with the result but I saw a lot of positives last night.
8 of the starting eleven were aged 19 to 22. Reid is 25, Niate 26 and Hall 32. Average age 23.
If you booed the team you do not understand football.
Gary in his interview was very disappointed that a minority of fans failed to support the team. This is a young side and the mental side of the game is very important and they will learn under one of the best man Managers they are likely to encounter in their careers.
We are 4 games into the season with 42 games to go and it is way to early to get despondent.
Keep the faith and get behind the team. COYY.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

fred wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 20:01 An interesting question at this stage. We have some very versatile players . Sometimes successful formations and teams are stumbled upon because of injury's or suspensions. Little, for me should be the first player on the team sheet. He's box to box, has a bit of quality and isn't afraid to get stuck in. CLE arrived late and is quality so it's almost like we will play him anywhere as long as he's on the pitch. What about Little and CLE in the middle with Hall dropping back at centre half. I'm sure we have the players for at least a mid table finish or better. It's going to be an interesting season !!
I’d be happy to see that - I think Little and CLE can form a duo in the middle...

Next decision comes to the flanks - they can all change the game in an instant so having the resources we have here is a blessing once they gel and find form
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

portugull wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 20:40 I was disappointed with the result but I saw a lot of positives last night.
8 of the starting eleven were aged 19 to 22. Reid is 25, Niate 26 and Hall 32. Average age 23.
If you booed the team you do not understand football.
Gary in his interview was very disappointed that a minority of fans failed to support the team. This is a young side and the mental side of the game is very important and they will learn under one of the best man Managers they are likely to encounter in their careers.
We are 4 games into the season with 42 games to go and it is way to early to get despondent.
Keep the faith and get behind the team. COYY.
Good post Portugull - I fully agree. In fact most, if not all, of the posts on here since Tuesday's defeat have been reasonable, including unanimous condemnation of the the boo-ing at the end of the game.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Just watched the highlights. It really is one of those defeats where you feel if the game was played again we'd win the next 99 times. Reid had some good chances, but i'm encouraged that he's not really fluffed them, he's inches off with every single one. He's got in the right position and just unlucky in my book. The defending for the two goals is appalling though. Needs to be a much stronger challenge from the long ball for the first one - i really think he could have won that. And I was amazed when the camera panned left to follow the long ball that the attacker had got the wrong side of both defenders. Shocking, as there are two of them back, so it's not like we'd left it 1v1. I guess young defenders perhaps have their mistakes highlighted more early on as they often lead to goals, whereas attacking players get away with it somewhat. Still, I'm encouraged and I don't think we're going to have the season our current league position suggests. I'm nothing but optimistic.
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

Also just watched highlights. It was clearly "just one of those days" when we didn't get the result our overall performance appeared to deserve.
Encouraging going forward. A couple of defensive howlers it appeared. If we had won 4 2 there would have been fewer complaints. The booing was not at all deserved in my view.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes the highlights just show how unfortunate we were but in all honesty also illustrate that our keeper is performing more like Calamity Jane at the moment.

He seems to have lost his confidence and needs a rest.