Ex-Gull watch

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Southampton Gull wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 15:37 Keeping a low profile after 'Teagate' 😉
=D

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
banktech
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by banktech »

Went to see at his care home in Manchester yesterday an ex-Gull legend of the famous team of the 1950s who were pipped by Alf Ramsey’s Ipswich on the last day of the season for promotion to the Second Division.Some of you might remember Tony Collins still going strong at 93 (photo attached) He recalled all those great players of that era Don Mills Sammy Collins Ron Shaw and their wonderful manager Eric Webber and admitted that as Chief Scout to Don Revie Ron Atkinson and later Alex Ferguson he was the person who took a teen age Lee Sharpe from Torquay to Man U. A book has been written about Tony’s incredible life from a challenging childhood to a super scout “Tony Collins Football Master Spy” by Quentin Cope Read on. Paul
Attachments
E5EAFCF8-6C39-421E-856A-40C916BDCF63.jpeg
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 15:37 Keeping a low profile after 'Teagate' 😉
Surely that should be Teavesham-gate ...... ? ;-)

In answer to Bloggy, I had forgotten George Essuman. In the few games I saw him play, I thought he looked a useful acquisition by Gary Owers. He last played for Dulwich Hamlet but he is now shown as an 'unregistered player'. Obviously something not right with him. GJ knows what he's doing!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

banktech thank you so much for posting the photo of Tony Collins.
Iwatched him play for United many times when I was a young man and he was a delight to watch.
I saw the players you mentioned in those far off days Great days when we had big crowds and football was 2 3 5 not 4 4 2!!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I also fondly remember Tony Collins from the mid fifties when I was just a lad ..... and football was 2 3 5! He was a very good player and played on the left wing with no. 11 on his shirt as all left wingers did then. He had a lot to live up to as he replaced the popular Ernie Edds who moved to Plymouth, but he soon became a fans favourite, providing crosses for Sam Collins head and weighing in with a few goals himself. Happy memories!
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Andre Wright bagged himself 4 goals tonight for Bohemians v College Dublin in the Irish top flight! A clumsy and absolute lumbering wreck he was when he was with us for the start of last season. A shadow of his former self when we had him first time around. Was immensely unfit and carrying way too many extra pounds to pass as a pro footballer.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Brett Williams scored 2 second half goals for Weymouth today in their 3-1 win over Dartford.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

I noticed a certain Dan Sparkes scoring for Barnet yesterday against Wrexham where Luke Young and Jazzi Barnum-Bobb seem to have their places tied down now. At Newport, Labadie and Leadbitter benched.

For the South West Clubs a great start to the season with Bristol City, Plymouth, Exeter, Swindon, Newport and TORQUAY all doing well atm. Good to see :clap:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Hardly call swindon or Newport south west
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Swatcat »

WYG - when you're in Yorkshire Swindon's SW surely ?
Newport's a stretch maybe - but great to see them back in the League after decades out. ATB
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Not reletive to where Yorkshire is ??

Swindon just isn't south west

Never thought of Swindon, Newport or even the Bristol as neighbours

Swindon is 50 miles closer to Birmingham than torquay
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Swatcat »

BTW it's 180 miles from Torquay to Brum and 80 from Swindon . . . that's 100 extra not 50

Let's hope ex-Gull Dan Sparkes is off form today !
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Get facts right ...Swindon is 87 to Birmingham and .....

Swindon is 137 to torquay
Comparing Swindon to Birmingham and torquay

Not comparing Birmingham to Swindon and Birmingham to torquay
Griff1n
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Danis Salman

Post by Griff1n »

George Dowling is no longer with Bristol City and is involved in trials both on and unfortunately off of the football pitch.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ng-3258867
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Griff1n wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 15:51 George Dowling is no longer with Bristol City and is involved in trials both on and unfortunately off of the football pitch.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ng-3258867
Haha. Poor lad. Probably see him signing for Paulton Rovers soon.

Talking of former Gulls, I noticed Marcus Richardson is the manager of Flackwell Heath.