Solihull Moors v Torquay United - Tues 6th August 19:45 KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Wow, what a ridiculous penalty. Guy was just waiting to be hit!
TUST #324
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

[quote=6667GULL post_id=241694 time=1565224255 user_id=19148]
The only contenders we were ever going to be this season were at the bottom not the top of the league.
The phrase bullied by the opposition has been used for both games so far this season the same as was used last season when we played badly. We need an experienced centre half and an experienced midfield enforcer to ensure we stay in mid table safety. GJ post match comments were the truth with no bullsh*t and I have every confidence he will sort things out and we will be fine. (quote)

If you think GJ will 'sort things out and we will be fine', why do you think 'we will be contenders for the botom of the league and not the top'? We lose one game against one of the favourites to be in at least the play offs, and we're contenders for bottom of the league!! Ridiculous. I do agree that an experienced centre half would strengthen the side. My view is that this a young side who will learn together under GJ and Aaron Downes. Some may fall by the wayside but most are good enough to develop to form the basis for a strong side next season. Let's just see where we are after 10 games, shall we?

By the way, who is bankrolling Solihull? Does anyone know?
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

brucie wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 17:54 Yeah he's another wind up merchant - as Stefano says people who carry on like this are twats.

Here is a more objective analysis from a more sane Solihull supporter:

Tim Flowers is spot on with his analysis. Torquay could have been one up inside the first 5 minutes with what looked something easier to score than miss. Another good chance squandered by Torquay in the first half, and a great penalty save from Ryan Boot in the second half. Those three chances alone, if taken, make the scoreline a lot, lot different. In the second half, Ryan Boot was outstanding, saved what looked certain goals on more than one occassion, so Torquay could have got another 2 or 3 - this could have given them victory! Whilst Moors were brilliant at times going forward, playing fast, free flowing attacking football, and got three goals in the first half accordingly, in the second half, despite some more good approach play, I don't remember the Torquay keeper having to make one difficult save. So, very pleased with the three goals, the three points too, but Moors, you have to tighten up in defence, and keep scoring even when three up
This so called Moors supporter has an " inferiority ' complex . Just the sort of person to say that the opposition was unlucky to loose , when they have been firmly beaten / to ban Moors Flags , when the opposition clearly displays many of their etc etc.

Yes , car parking on the roads at any football ground where attendance numbers are high , you have to be eagle eyed , but most motorists are considerate and are aware a match is being played at Solihull Moors , for instance.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Couldn't see a penalty in that - looked like a genuine collision - very harsh
Obviously we didn't play well and were off the pace but they were a couple of great strikes . Wouldn't even blame MacDonald much , got his hand to it but couldn't quite turn it round the post,
and the other was deflected. Even the pen wasn't that bad though I would say always hit them 5-6 feet high. It was struck well and pretty close to the post - a great save .If it had been us people would be saying what a great couple of goals and what a great save. The result and emotions influence opinions. Just write it off as one of those games, I am not expecting that on Saturday.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Hello Guys and Gals - I watched the 'Highlights' and have some thoughts. Congrats to all you stalwarts making the effort to attend for a very disappointing result. I know my impressions won't help much but anyway.

The 'Moors' penalty :slap: that one's for the Ref. I watched it several times and on an admittedly poor pic, it looked to me that our defender was hardly moving or stationary and the Moors man launched himself in ! Clever stuff. The 2 Moors goals looked very speculative and TBH I don't think MacDonald did well. So a dodgy penalty and 2 lucky strikes :devil:

As for our game, obviously we lacked assurance and were caught out by a strong fast team again. The 3-0 doesn't change regrettably but I saw at least 3 excellent chances for the Gulls and of course, a missed penalty. Armani :Z

It's very early days and in GJ we trust - he'll settle 'em down hopefully
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

tomogull wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 23:02
By the way, who is bankrolling Solihull? Does anyone know?
Darryl Eales, former Oxford United chairman (2014-18). Seems he was a Moor Green supporter as a boy, or that is what he says. Took over in August 2018 and saw the team to fill time resulting in Moors finishing 2nd in league.
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by ACW2IOW »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 11:20 Darryl Eales, former Oxford United chairman (2014-18). Seems he was a Moor Green supporter as a boy, or that is what he says. Took over in August 2018 and saw the team to fill time resulting in Moors finishing 2nd in league.
I can categorically confirm that Darryl Eales did support Moor Green as a boy . Mr Eales still has a just under 10% share in OUFC and has a repayment plan in place to recoup a sizeable sum owed to him/his company following the sale of the Club to the present owner. He has obviously invested in Solihull quite heavily over the past 12 months and I would imagine will continue to do so.
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Fred Perry »

Daryl Eales was a Moor Green supporter , as a boy.

Solihull Borough and Moor Green amalgamated together , in 2007 , to become Solihull Moors.

Birmingham City Ladies play their games at Solihull Moors.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We lost to a ladies team?

It's worse than I thought

#sackjohnson
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Fred Perry »

Southampton Gull wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 19:41 We lost to a ladies team?

It's worse than I thought

#sackjohnson
Birmingham City is not the same as Solihull Moors..

Perhaps Torquay should play C Gull at Bromley !.

Do not sack Johnson.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

That penalty is just completely diabolical and was given by an official who has no place officiating at this level.

She's clearly justs the FA's token minority and would be better off reffing a primary school game. Their player has just ran into Edwards and then threw himself. Really it is laughable. How on earth would anybody who knew the slightest thing about football give that.
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Fred Perry »

brucie wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 20:25 That penalty is just completely diabolical and was given by an official who has no place officiating at this level.

She's clearly justs the FA's token minority and would be better off reffing a primary school game. Their player has just ran into Edwards and then threw himself. Really it is laughable. How on earth would anybody who knew the slightest thing about football give that.
The better side ( Solihull Moors ) won and it was a penalty for Solihull Moors.

Sour grapes will not change the score.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

brucie wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 20:25 That penalty is just completely diabolical and was given by an official who has no place officiating at this level.

Plenty of male referees have given worse penalties than that. A common response when we lose is always to have a go at the refereeing, regardless of the teams performance, it is simply sour grapes.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Be it a male or female Ref, that's not a penalty. Play it on the highlights and slowmo it. Our defender is not moving and the Moors Guy jumps through him.
Shocking decision IMO.
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Fred Perry »

Solihull 3 Torquay 0