Solihull Moors v Torquay United - Tues 6th August 19:45 KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

I almost got ran over coming at of the stadium walking through a short cut where some trees are not realising the dual carriageway was the other-side of it! The parking situation at Solihull Moors is really dangerous. Not fit for this level of football or higher and needs addressing.

The stadium itself has come on leaps and bounds and the staff and supporters are all friendly. If some sensible parking solutions can be arranged then the club has a lot of the basics covered I'd say.

Also agreed, the advice from "Fred Perry" was wrong and can be forgiven but the club website also advised parking at NCP. All a bit silly and I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually gets ran over as the crowds increase.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

budegull1954 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 16:21 Is 'Fred Perry' Ray Johnstone in disguise??!!
They have never been seen in the same room at the same time..... ;-)
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Back to the game and we'll see what happens Saturday. Gary knows best but I think a lot of supporters would have liked a few older heads /experienced players in there. Not sure how many he had in his title winning Cheltenham team but he did have Aaron Downes at the back for one.
We only had one over 30 - Asa Hall last night,
the rest apart from Reid (25?) all about 22 or under.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yeah he's another wind up merchant - as Stefano says people who carry on like this are twats.

Here is a more objective analysis from a more sane Solihull supporter:

Tim Flowers is spot on with his analysis. Torquay could have been one up inside the first 5 minutes with what looked something easier to score than miss. Another good chance squandered by Torquay in the first half, and a great penalty save from Ryan Boot in the second half. Those three chances alone, if taken, make the scoreline a lot, lot different. In the second half, Ryan Boot was outstanding, saved what looked certain goals on more than one occassion, so Torquay could have got another 2 or 3 - this could have given them victory! Whilst Moors were brilliant at times going forward, playing fast, free flowing attacking football, and got three goals in the first half accordingly, in the second half, despite some more good approach play, I don't remember the Torquay keeper having to make one difficult save. So, very pleased with the three goals, the three points too, but Moors, you have to tighten up in defence, and keep scoring even when three up
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

culmstockgull wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 13:32 Listening to the accounts of people who actually went to the game last night it clearly shows we didn't turn up, like all defeats it is the way you loose that dictates the reaction of the fans, I have been to games and we have lost but couldn't have done anymore to influence the outcome of the game and a result we clapped the team of the field .If as I understand it we were booed off then you know the supporters not only believe we were crap but we didn't put in a shift of any description which depressingly is not a rare or unusual occurrence for us, I realise it is only the second game of the season but this squad for better or worse is it for the season give or take the odd change. I mentioned in another thread that mentality is key and certain players will never have that strength no matter how talented they are, Clubs pay big bucks for sports psychologists to mentally condition their players and while I may not understand or even agree with this magic hocus-pocus it does seem to work.
With cash tight at our club they may like to ponder that they are in the entertainment and results business and this abject display as Johnson called it will have a serious effect on the crowd come next Tuesday.
I'm not sure it was lack of effort. We just couldn't string two passes together for most of the match. It was almost a case of the harder you try the worse we got. I couldn't understand the booing at half time. Second game of the season, losing away to a good side was frustrating but didn't warrant the boos. I also however find it hard to understand the many that wait and applaud the side off after such a poor display! What exactly are you applauding??
As for the ground. It felt a little bit like turning up early season to a Spanish hotel and quickly realising the building works hasnt finished in time and the staff, although very friendly, were not really up to speed with what was going on.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Reid did miss a sitter again after 2 minutes , less ten minutes later the ball is in our net twice. Oddly enough we could have been 2-2 a few minutes later but the result would have been the same they just bombarded our defence and we couldn't cope. Our Swansea loanee played but he played left back , keating in front of him. All right footed players on the pitch until the subs come on. Took us twenty minutes after being giving a bollocking to put so e pressure on them. Most attacks ended up with Macdonald ending up with it. Lost count how many time we gave it away. Then when we get a penalty we blew it again, Armani has scored two worldie goal in pre season, crap penalty he took.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Vlog from last nights game if anyone has 9 mins they're prepared to never get back!

>:(
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Midlandgull wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 18:39 Vlog from last nights game if anyone has 9 mins they're prepared to never get back!

Summed up perfectly. You were right behind me and my Cardiff City-supporting mate upon whom I inflicted that dross!
TUST member 203
PaulBreen
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by PaulBreen »

Don't think anybody can have sour grapes about the result but facilities are far from standard of many clubs in top 4 divisions. Solihull looked a good side and in light of full season I dunno if this will seem that awful a defeat even if it could have been a better scoreline. Too many silly mistakes and half-hearted efforts. What the hell was Keating doing with that back flick that led to 3rd goal for example? Lots of silly mistakes and Solihull far more streetwise. But maybe it's the wake up call some of these players needed. This league's a step up in concentration, physicality and pace. Some of the players hadn't wakened up to that last night. But it was hard against a good experienced side that will be up there in top 3 again by end of this season.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Midlandgull wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 18:39 Vlog from last nights game if anyone has 9 mins they're prepared to never get back!

Nice one mate!!! Always enjoy it!
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

The parking/walking.to the ground was farcical!!

You captured it brilliantly with your footage at the start.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

budegull1954 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 16:21 Is 'Fred Perry'[highlight=yellow] R*y J***stone[/highlight] in disguise??!!
Why have you brought that bell end up??? :@
He'll be back on here now!!!! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Luckily some very early season realism.
The only contenders we were ever going to be this season were at the bottom not the top of the league.
The phrase bullied by the opposition has been used for both games so far this season the same as was used last season when we played badly. We need an experienced centre half and an experienced midfield enforcer to ensure we stay in mid table safety.
GJ post match comments were the truth with no bullsh*t and I have every confidence he will sort things out and we will be fine.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree. An enforcer (in the Branston, Bettany mould) is essential. Any attempts at bullying by the opposing team would quickly fade in the face (and retribution) of such characters.
TUFCfan
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFCfan »

https://youtu.be/ahEZPgLM3y4

Highlights via the Solihull YouTube channel