Solihull Moors v Torquay United - Tues 6th August 19:45 KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

No sour grapes here, just disappointment with our team's performance. Result well deserved. I felt ref was poor in both directions, second half she gave as many dodgy free kicks our way as she gave Moors first half (though her gender is irrelevant, the male linesman was poor also).

Hard to argue for the quality of facilities when most are temporary and half the ground is shut, and statements about parking are just factual in that provision for it is poor.
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

At Plainmoor the car parking is worse , than at Solihull Moors.

Moors main stand was due to be open , but waiting local " Health & Safety " inspection.

The stand opposite has temporary roofs , as a new stand is going to be built , at end of this season.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Fred Perry wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 09:21 At Plainmoor the car parking is worse , than at Solihull Moors.

Moors main stand was due to be open , but waiting local " Health & Safety " inspection.

The stand opposite has temporary roofs , as a new stand is going to be built , at end of this season.
Complete nonsense. No sour grapes. The better team won, but Plainmoor has loads on neighbourhood on-street parking. People were forced to park on verges lining a 40mph road last night. Less than ideal. I thought the stadium itself has a lot of potential and has been sensibly designed, though I'm astonished they got planning permission without appropriate parking facilities.
TUST member 203
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't see anyone suggesting you weren't the better side although everyone who went there seems to be suggesting that your ground/facilities were crap.

That's now the second time that you have said that you were the better team. If you come on an opposition board and keep repeating that people will soon percieve it as "gloating" and you will start getting some adverse comments.

I wouldn't get ahead of yourself - there is only two games gone after all.
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SkyBlueGull »

Fred perry

No sour grapes the best side won.

You do/will have a problem though. I arrived at 6.45 and queued until 7.30pm to get my "ticket" from one booth to then go to a turnstile. When I looked behind me the queue was extending out of the car park to the dual carriage way. We brought 300+ fans - God help you when Notts County come. I joked with 2 of your very friendly stewards that they ought to make themselves unavailable that weekend . I would add that from my perspective your stewards were the most friendly and helpful ones that I have come across for many years

Talking to your fans the club is trying to promote online booking. The problem is that the committed fans will probably do this or have a season ticket. It is the casual fans that you will lose out on . I was behind 3 Solihull fans who were very pi555ed off. They don't know whether they are coming based on the weather, work commitments and whether the missus gives them a green card. Based on last nights car parking and queuing issues they wont be in a hurry to come back. That's 3 fans you have lost - multiply that by say 60 fans in total and that's almost £1000 lost per game or £24,000 per season.

SBG
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Fred Perry wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 09:21 At Plainmoor the car parking is worse , than at Solihull Moors.

By all accounts on this forum and other pages the set up was fairly tinpot last night. No one is denying you’ve got a great team at the moment but sounds like a lot of work will need to be done to accommodate larger away supports should you ever make it to the football league.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

brucie wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 10:29 I don't see anyone suggesting you weren't the better side although everyone who went there seems to be suggesting that your ground/facilities were crap.

That's now the second time that you have said that you were the better team. If you come on an opposition board and keep repeating that people will soon percieve it as "gloating" and you will start getting some adverse comments.

I wouldn't get ahead of yourself - there is only two games gone after all.
Absolutely. I have always thought that people who go on other clubs boards persistently are twats so never take any notice of them. The odd visitor to provide some advice before an away game or to say 'well done' after we have won is fine. If he knew what he was talking about it would not be so bad. I have been visiting Plainmoor for 56 years now and have never had a problem finding a convenient and safe place to park even in the heady days of the 1960's and regular 10000+ crowds and occasional 20000 for cup games.

Gales forecast for the weekend so do not have much hope of Solihull having any stands or toilets left after that..... ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 11:33 I have been visiting Plainmoor for 56 years now and have never had a problem finding a convenient and safe place to park even in the heady days of the 1960's and regular 10000+ crowds and occasional 20000 for cup games.

Gales forecast for the weekend so do not have much hope of Solihull having any stands or toilets left after that..... ;-)
I bet you travelled on the Plainmoor special buses in the 1960's. And of course, back then there weren't two, or even 3, cars to each household. Many didn't have a car. So street parking was a lot easier then. However, you're right. There is ample unrestricted parking if you know where to go. From where I regularly park, my tired old legs can get me to the Pop Side turnstile in 7 minutes. But I'm not telling you where it is! ;-)

Now, here's a question for you, or anyone else, with an anorak on. How many consecutive penalites have we now missed? I reckon it is four, maybe five. Surely a contender for an entry in the Guinness Book of Records???? :'(

Finally a note to Fred Perry - yes, you were obviously the better team last night as you have told us two or three times. But don't worry - Gary Johnson will have sorted out any weaknesses in the team long, long before you come to Plainmoor next March ....... and when/if we play you in the Play Offs.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

We too were in the queue for ages and some who arrived late may not of seen the start.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Ref was atrocious.
Definitely a blatant dive for their pen
Our passing was terrible
We had more chances but overall they were the better team.
Player for player they were better
Their goalkeeper played out of his skin
Again, the ref was completely out of her depth, no clue
TUST MEMBER
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Whydoibother wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 13:00 We too were in the queue for ages and some who arrived late may not of seen the start.
Judging from the match reports most of the team didn't see the start either!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

stefano and tomogull are right - why? because they're old codgers like me, that's why!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Listening to the accounts of people who actually went to the game last night it clearly shows we didn't turn up, like all defeats it is the way you loose that dictates the reaction of the fans, I have been to games and we have lost but couldn't have done anymore to influence the outcome of the game and a result we clapped the team of the field .If as I understand it we were booed off then you know the supporters not only believe we were crap but we didn't put in a shift of any description which depressingly is not a rare or unusual occurrence for us, I realise it is only the second game of the season but this squad for better or worse is it for the season give or take the odd change. I mentioned in another thread that mentality is key and certain players will never have that strength no matter how talented they are, Clubs pay big bucks for sports psychologists to mentally condition their players and while I may not understand or even agree with this magic hocus-pocus it does seem to work.
With cash tight at our club they may like to ponder that they are in the entertainment and results business and this abject display as Johnson called it will have a serious effect on the crowd come next Tuesday.
Donuts76
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Donuts76 »

Fred Perry wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 08:45 Seems to be alot of " sour grapes " from Torquay supporters.

The better side won.
The better team won but your advice was wrong. To put it in context, with specific reference to parking in the cargo airport car park for £3. The cargo parking shuts at 9pm and is £4. The next NCP (next door to the cargo) is £8 and doesnt shut. That is basically akin to me telling you to park on in the NCP by the harbour and walk up to Plainmoor in ten minutes.
Try it and see. The goods news for you will be have you wont have to walk in completely darkness along a dual carriageway back.

Not only was your adivce wrong but frankly dangerous.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Is 'Fred Perry' Ray Johnstone in disguise??!!