Solihull Moors v Torquay United - Tues 6th August 19:45 KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Showing 11 shots to Solihull's 9
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

We were never going to steamroller this league or win game after game. But hopefully this will re-enforce the size of step up required between South and National Leagues.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

I suppose we can take a positive in that we drew the second half and kept a clean sheet !!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

a first half to certainly forget but learn from,

Should have scored a couple in the 2nd half which would have made it an interest finish

another game in a few days to right those wrongs, no need for panic & hysteria, 44 games to go
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Kalala at least brought some life to the attack, from his build up we had 2 off the line in one attack, one outstanding save and took an awful penalty. Andrews coming on helped balance too.

The short passing was appalling though, so many simple passes out for throw ins. Work needed.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't think it reinforces anything to be honest .

Solihull are a big strong team and finished second last year so if you give them a two goal start you've got no chance. Credit the team for a second half comeback when we started playing football we can cause anyone problems.

By the sound of it we created at least five decent chances and missed a penalty. Its one game and miles too early to panic.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Not at the match so commentary and twitter have to be relied on, they have cut us apart far too easily tonight and I think most of us suspect our back four is not good enough for this division but I am not sure where Johnson can pull a rabbit out of the hat to resolve it. First half Saturday Duku and Andrews pulled off and replaced by Edwards and Keating which livened things up, tonight both of them started and replaced by halftime when the damage was already done. Only the second game so not too worried, very interested to hear Johnson's assessment of HIS team tonight because they sure were not good enough.
JSP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JSP »

After listening to commentary and from what I saw on Saturday Niate is a big question mark for me. We are missing Davis lots can’t wait to get him back. Cannot give Solihull early goals otherwise game over. Too early to judge but one thing you can say is that if we don’t improve at the back we won’t succeed in this league.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Interesting that after 2 games only one team has one both - probably an indication that this is quite a tight league this season.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

exilegull wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 22:03 Interesting that after 2 games only one team has one both - probably an indication that this is quite a tight league this season.
And that team was among many people's favourites to finish bottom. Also Chesterfield, highly fancied by some only have one point so far.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 22:10 And that team was among many people's favourites to finish bottom. Also Chesterfield, highly fancied by some only have one point so far.
Thats all well and good but we are a whole 1 point off the play off places. . Bring back Gary Owers!

1-0 loss and it would be a pat on the back and we were unlucky. It may be a good thing we took a 3-0 drubbing in the second game of the season, a wake up call. I think we can expect to see a different team approach came Sat. Not sure about Frankie Vincent being dropped due to height, particularly as it was not Moors height advantage that caused us problems. To much respect for the opposition maybe?
Last edited by MellowYellow on 06 Aug 2019, 22:43, edited 4 times in total.
JSP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JSP »

:goodpost:
MellowYellow wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 22:34 Thats all well and good but we are a whole 1 point off the play off places. . Bring back Gary Owers!
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Well, that was shit.......

We were totally outclassed by a very good, physical, big, quick and well-organised team. They played like they'd completely lost their heads. Hope this is a wake up call for them to up their game. The ref wasn't great and there were some terrible lino decisions, but Solihull deservedly won that.
TUST member 203
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

Thanks , Torquay for bringing a ' good ' away following - would estimate 350 to 375.. Attendance over 1600.

Lots of passionate singing 🎶🎙🎤 from BOTH sets of Supporters.

Solihull were by some distance, the better team .

See you in March 2020 ( FA Cup excepted ! ).
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I slightly question GJ's team selection tonight. I would have expected the same starting eleven as Saturday, except for CLE in for Manny Duku. But then, what do I know? Tough throwing in Joe Lewis for his first game against one of the fancied sides, but I suppose his height was the deciding factor against a big side. How did he do, by the way?

Can't believe that the team was boo'd off the field at half time. They didn't deserve that in only the second game of the season. This is the team that got us out of the National South and we cheered them all the way against Boreham Wood. Fickle fans, or what ???