Torquay United v Borehamwood 3/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

standupsitdown wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 22:11 A good result against one of the better Conference teams last season.
I thought they finished 20th, one above the relegation zone.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

standupsitdown wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 22:16 Does anyone know if the person in the Pop Side who needed medical care is OK?
I thought the stewards reacted superbly, instantly going to the person's aid and alerting control of the incident by radio.
I wasn't so impressed that it took about two minutes before the medical response people got up and that they showed no urgency as they walked round the ground. Maybe it wasn't urgent but generally at events they would respond immediately even if all they need do is confirm the person is OK.
I was the one who called for the medical aid for the kid who fainted in front of me, I spoke to his friends who said that he was okay but hurt his back as he fell into the steps, hopefully nothing too serious.

In regards to the stewards, top class from them. But the medical response was piss poor, thankfully it was only someone fainting and not anything more serious, took at least 5 minutes for them to eventually turn up. Dreadful.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

oldpedant wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 23:29 I thought they finished 20th, one above the relegation zone.
They did and I think this game showed the gulf in quality between National League Premier and South. Boreham look to me like they will be lower half of the table so it is only going to get tougher for us as the season goes on.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

oldpedant wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 23:29 I thought they finished 20th, one above the relegation zone.
Sorry, my mistake. Muddled them up with Solihull.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 07:51
They did and I think this game showed the gulf in quality between National League Premier and South. Boreham look to me like they will be lower half of the table so it is only going to get tougher for us as the season goes on.
It will get tougher but I think we will grow into the Division. I doubt the team that started yesterday will line up for many, if any more games. Evans and Edwards must be incorporated. Davis will be back and, sadly Niate's place must be under threat.
TUST number 080
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

standupsitdown wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 08:36 Sorry, my mistake. Muddled them up with Solihull.
Easy thing to do because Wood and Moors basically swapped positions last season. Not really possible to glean anything from yesterdays results but was surprised by Halifax's easy away win at ebsfleet and Stockport going down at home to Maidenhead.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Boreham obviously had a strange year last year finishing in bottom half but they have a very good squad and a decent manager, expect them to be much higher this season.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Ebbsfleet practically new team due to late payments of wages last season, will need time to gel.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Pleased to start the season off with a win. BW were a physical side who can keep the ball well and with their attacking players they will create and score goals, you can see if you give them the opportunities they will punish you, and there is the evidence of moving up a division. Defensively we will not get away with mistakes and indecision. The sending off incident obviously changed the game and hopefully our lad is ok.
Upto the sending off it was a bit of a battle, BW can play and certainly had their fair share of possession.
From our perspective I don't think Jake Andrews is as effective on the right and with Kalala not the most defensively minded player Vincent had a difficult spell in the game.
GJ didn't take too after the break before he decided to change things around, we needed to change the system and increase the tempo, if you could lay one criticism at BW their fitness didn't look the best and down a player we needed to make a change.
To me it was just like last season when these lads arrived, instantly the tempo increased. CLE player just behind Jamie Reid which caused BW instant problems, Opi has rapid pace and ability. Then for a 20 min spell we totally controlled the tempo and created several chances with their keeper making 2-3 really good saves. Opi's goal came from a good move and you could see his delight when he scored, last season was tough for him with his injuries so Im delighted for him. Jamie Reids goal was a top strike. We are then cruising when defensively we make a mistake and BW score. Its then 5-10 min of BW pushing for the equaliser.
Our game management at that time was poor and GJ wont be happy with that.
I think for the first time in a long while I looked at our bench and it is extremely strong. We will definitely need that over the season.
My thoughts regarding the formation and starting players. Jake Andrews on the right??Niate as some have already mentioned has an error in him, I question whether he has the tools to make the step up, time will tell.
I will be interested to see GJ 's starting 11 in mid week.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

We all know what a good player CLE is and it is great to have him back until January at least. My query about Opi is - is he a 90 minute player, or an impact sub? He certainly made an impact yesterday.

Boreham Wood are a physical side and they finished just above the relegation places last season with 52 points. But I think they looked a better side than that yesterday. I thought the ref had a reasonable game. He missed a couple of 'off the ball' incidents - both involving Duku - but maybe they should have been spotted by the linesmen? By the end of August, we shall be able to make some judgement about our chances in this league, but, for now, it is good to see us in a play off position!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

tomogull wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 18:17 My query about Opi is - is he a 90 minute player, or an impact sub? He certainly made an impact yesterday.
Having secured a new two year deal with City there can be no question of his talent, so I would expect his loan back to us is to develop him into that 90 min player. I can live with that.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

tomogull wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 18:17 We all know what a good player CLE is and it is great to have him back until January at least. My query about Opi is - is he a 90 minute player, or an impact sub? He certainly made an impact yesterday.

Its a fair point tomogull, I think the way GJ wants to play with a high tempo game I don't think any of our offensive players will consistently play 90min, you could say the same about Jake Andrews and Kalvin to some degree.
His pace coming off the bench is such a great asset to have though. I think he just needs to be injury free and build his confidence, he certainly has a bright future ahead of him.

Edited To Repair quote - SG
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Just watched the official TUFC tv highlights. It was a terrible foul by Fyfield, but I thought their captain (Champion) dealt with the situation very well (watch the episode and you'll see).
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Tks SG , I ll get the hang of it one day