Torquay United v Borehamwood 3/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Teigngull wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 17:39 As I did last sewson, I do worry about our defence, it's like the local whore houses laundry - not a clean sheet in sight.
Agreed, however if we had a rock solid seasoned centre back alongside Cameron I’d feel a lot more confident

I think Wynter and Davis will rise to the challenge this season.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Teigngull wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 17:39 As I did last sewson, I do worry about our defence, it's like the local whore houses laundry - not a clean sheet in sight.
Who cares! We will just score more.... Just like Newcastle under keegan!!! Great start today always going to be tough... Big expectation and to get the first win..... Bloody grand.
Gary Johnson Torquay train... Going all the way to the premier league ......
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Always great to get a win in the first game. Think the difference was when CLE and Opi came on, we then had a great 20 minute spell in which we got the goals. Jamie Read has already scored a contender for goal of the season.
Boreham Wood were a horrible side as has been stated but I guess give them credit for keeping going until the end even with 10 men.
Also did anyone else think Jamie Read was offside when he received the ball to set up the opener for Opi?
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

The substitutions changed the game, when was the last time we had the squad depth to bring on players who we know can fundamentally alter a team performance? We had the ability to switch things up whereas Boreham perhaps didn't. That midfield play at times when Edwards and Evans came was fantastic to watch.

That said, the first half was poor from both teams. Neither goalkeeper was troubled really and the only talking point was their red card, which was the correct decision. Defensively I think we may struggle against better opposition as Niate did seem to struggle more than Cameron. Our occasional lapses of concentration will surely be punished more often this season.

Overall, I think we'd all have taken 2-1 at the start and it's a decent start to the season.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

DWB wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 18:25 Always great to get a win in the first game. Think the difference was when CLE and Opi came on, we then had a great 20 minute spell in which we got the goals. Jamie Read has already scored a contender for goal of the season.
Boreham Wood were a horrible side as has been stated but I guess give them credit for keeping going until the end even with 10 men.
[highlight=yellow]Also did anyone else think Jamie Read was offside when he received the ball to set up the opener for Opi?
[/highlight]
Who cares?

And its Reid...... ;-)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Definitely a reality check in terms of this division not being a walk in the park, Boreham Wood weren't great but clearly had some players who could make a difference (No.10 was very good imo). Still, think we deserved to win on the whole as it seemed we turned up the pressure slightly second half.

Also agree, re Niate. Think he will struggle this season against the smaller, technical strikers such as Tshimanga today. He's an absolute powerhouse but defending ability leaves questions at times - should perform well against Bliss and McCallum on Tuesday though hopefully!
Graiser
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by Graiser »

Good start, keep those results coming in and get back in the EFL where you belong.
Green Army
Howdidigethere
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Howdidigethere »

Except for the red card challenge I don’t think BW were a dirty team. They were however huge and we need to toughen up. Jamie Reid really struggled to hold the ball up under pressure and we stood off there attacking players way too much in the first half.. Lots of talent in the middle of the park but no Sean Joyce. Much as I like Frank Vincent, he looks vulnerable at left back as well. Great result all the same and two very nice goals. COYY
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

My concern is that we struggled for the most part against ten men for sixty minutes. Reminds of the opening day match against Tranmere two years ago when we couldn't score against nine men.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

No BW were not a dirty team but they were very strong and bullied us successfully in the first half and early part of the second. The red card was a shocking late lunge on Duku which could have broken his leg but this was the only really really bad foul and probably made the difference between the two teams in terms of the result so it was poetic justice. They could have snatched a point towards the end as we panicked, resorting to hoofed clearances which gave the ball back to them time and time again.

The manager's decision to introduce CLE and Edwards after HT turned the game and suddenly, instead of Murtagh (BW no 10) running the midfield it was CLE. This brought the best out of Reidy who up to then hardly had a sniff and he made one and scored another terrific goal. This can be seen in the stats - only 4 attempts in the first half (one on target), 13 in the second (6 on target). Winter also hit the post/bar with a tremendous shot at 0-0.

Niate's mistake let them back in the game but it was on the cards before then because BW threw caution to the winds and played on Niate's vulnerabilities (balls on the ground and attackers running at him). No doubt his early yellow card contributed to his nervousness but that was given for horrendous marking and finding himself on the attackers wrong side. Unfortunately, on this showing, he seems to be a weak link in the defence.

Well done the crowd - 3,128 and a terrific atmosphere when it mattered.

All in all a great start but a reminder that we will not walk this league - we have to be more clinical with our finishing and less prone to hoofing the ball aimlessly forward when the pressure is on. COYY!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The one thing some of our players and some of our fans have learn, and quickly, is we've gone up a level, players in this division, are faster, fitter and more physical , our team will not be able dictate possession so easily as last season.

Boreham Wood are a big physical, well organised team, they will always make life difficult for their opponents , they've been consistently among the better sides in this division over the last 2 seasons, they would dominate possession prior to the sending off, a correct decision for a ridiculous two footed lunge, the concern at this point was, Boreham Wood continued to enjoy the loin share of the possession.

This is where the manager and his coaching staff earn their corn, it's not just about deciding a change is needed, it's about getting it right, like for like, or formation change, Gary Johnson regularly has a plan b, c or d if it's needed.

His formation change had an instant impact, as Torquay are now passing the ball faster and sharper, dominating possession, and soon after Ben Wynter would strike the oppositions crossbar, soon after Edwards finished off a well worked team, before Jamie Reid answered the dissenting voices in the crowd with a trade mark thunder bolt into the top corner, 2.0 and now in total control, Torquay would force the Boreham wood keeper into a couple of good saves, a fail to finish two good chances , and I began to wonder whether this would bite us in the arse.

We all know it's about players on the pitch making good decisions, 2 up in the closing minutes not sure why the team are still trying to play out from the back, no need game won, just clear your lines, the warnings were there, almost caught out twice before Naite had his pocket picked on the edge of the box and were at 2.1 and shouldn't have been, made even more nervous by the referee adding 6 minutes on, where he got that from lord only knows, but thankfully game closed out, and a very, very important win in front of a decent sized crowd of 3,100.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

This was a tough game I watched them last season in the cup and we lost but were the better side. Today was much of the same but for a flash of brilliance when the goals were scored.

Mc Donald was my man of the match absolutely faultless.
Wynter steady good game
Cameron very good game against a very strong forward line
Niate Did ok but has been subject to the odd mishap must be stronger
Vincent had a steady game but learning the position
Andrews not at his best but still a threat
Hall had a difficult afternoon mainly with strength
Little not so bright as in the friendlies
Kalala did not have a good service and not a real threat today
Reid came alive at the right time great goal
Duk did enough
Edwards added that little more forward and backward
Lemon-Heigh was the difference he held the ball and chances started to come
Keating vastly improved and reliable

Great day out
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Have to disagree with Modgull, there is a world of difference in a team being tough and strong and combative and BM who like I remember them a dirty nasty team, the first half when the four officials conspired to miss their defender poleaxing Duku, it wasn't a foul, it was a criminal assault, As someone who is not considered one of Reidys biggest fans I thought he had a great game, more so when Duku came off, his goal is already a contender for goal of the season, his lay off for the second was beautiful, he held up play and fought off their two central gorillas with commendable restraint. I thought Vincent had a torrid afternoon and I was glad when Keating came on to offer him some protection. A tough afternoon but three points is three points and confidence going into the Solihull match.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

A good result against one of the better Conference teams last season.
The substitutions made a big difference and I fear without them we'd have got bogged down by Boreham Wood's time wasting - then probably conceded a late goal to lose.
We should have scored at least one more goal before Wood got theirs but at least we got through that extra 6 minutes without too much incident.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Does anyone know if the person in the Pop Side who needed medical care is OK?
I thought the stewards reacted superbly, instantly going to the person's aid and alerting control of the incident by radio.
I wasn't so impressed that it took about two minutes before the medical response people got up and that they showed no urgency as they walked round the ground. Maybe it wasn't urgent but generally at events they would respond immediately even if all they need do is confirm the person is OK.