Clarke Osborne

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Teigngull wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 20:06 And with the backing GJ has got from CO, would KN achieved similar? I very much doubt it myself

We'll never know will we but you couldn't resist bringing his name back up could you? Could you have seen Owers doing it either? He was far worse and had that backing yet you conveniently omitted his name just to have a dig at his predecessor, shameful 😉

I've got every faith in our manager to deliver on the playing side, that's never been an issue for me.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Teigngull wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 20:06 And with the backing GJ has got from CO, would KN achieved similar? I very much doubt it myself
Something we will never know - we just know the 'great escape's' on zero budget's! that's worth remembering.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 19:02 Although I 100% am in support of what Clarke Osborne has done for the club thus far, I am not stupid. Clarke Osborne is a multi millionaire businessman who has made his money by being ruthless. He said when he purchased the club that he had little knowledge of football and his agenda is to me very clear. Osborne isn't bothered about investing several million into the football club and seeing a return on his investment. I believe that he will eventually sell the club at a huge loss. [highlight=yellow]Mr Osborne will make his millions out of his new stadium plans and housing developments in Torbay. Putting it another way, it's worthwhile loosing 5 million pounds in Torquay United if he ends up making 20 million quid from his real agenda[/highlight]. I also believe that [highlight=yellow]Osborne will give the club away [/highlight]to his friend Peter masters who tried unsuccessfully to purchase the club a few years ago.
Here we are again....
New stadium??
The one he promised us by 2020???
The one the local MP and councilors object too???
His real agenda?? Oh, you've realized there actually is one??
Give it away??
You are really out to lunch.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 20:12

We'll never know will we but you couldn't resist bringing his name back up could you? Could you have seen Owers doing it either? He was far worse and had that backing yet you conveniently omitted his name just to have a dig at his predecessor, shameful 😉

I've got every faith in our manager to deliver on the playing side, that's never been an issue for me.
Heh heh heh :whistle:
Buckygull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Buckygull »

I’m still very suspicious of osbourne and his true plan for the club, I’m assuming being a football league club will benefit the plan. Having said that he has given us mr Johnson and the crazy ride we are currently on and the lushest kit we have had for years. So in short I don’t know
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

SupernickyWroe. Good morning. So I'm really out of touch, am i.? As you seem to know much more than me, can you please explain to an out of touch idiot like myself how Mr Osborne will get a return on his investment. One thing I can guarantee is that it will not be through the sale of the club. I understand from a source within Torbay council that unofficial talks are taking place now and plans for a new stadium will be revealed during the autumn/ winter 2019.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

We will probably have a situation where the money owed to Osborne will be as such that he will use it as his main negotiation tool when going back to the authorities regarding purchasing Plainmoor. He will be in a lot better position to get his way.

Personally I feel if the club wasn’t bought by Osborne it may not still be here - that’s the reason it was eventually sold to him in first place. So if he builds a new stadium and he does what he wants with Plainmoor I won’t have too many complaints. I just can’t see it going that smoothly.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I suspect that this is Osborne's plan. Put money into the club which would have to be repaid to him if it was sold. Whilst it may be saleable as a going concern (maybe to TUST) no one will want to pay millions to Osborne to take on a football club which is likely to continue to lose money. So at some point he gives Torquay of the choice of the club going out of business if he walks away, or allow him to build houses on Plainmoor. Someone with no interest in football wouldn't put millions into a club unless they thought it would help them make more money in the long run. If this does happen the council must ensure that the freehold is not sold until another suitable stadium is ready for us to move into.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

JamieE I think you have hit the nail on the head. Every town or city gets behind there football team during the good times. You've only got to look at the F A Cup as a classic example of this. When you see a small club, take Bath City as an example, reach the 3rd round of the cup and have drawn Man City at home, the whole city is buzzing. Suddenly Bath City have gone from having 1,000 supporters to 50,000 overnight. I see Torquay United in exactly the same way. How the hell does a national league south team average around 3,000 for home games and nearly 1,000 for away matches? The answer is simple. Success.
Let's say that under Clarke Osborne the club reach the dizzy heights of league 1. If Osborne then submits plans to the council for his development plans, I'm sure that the council would get linched by the people of torbay if his plans were rejected. That's the crazy thing about sport, it unites people. Just look at the feelgood factor of England winning the cricket World Cup a few weeks ago lifted the nation, Botham's Ashes of 1981 is another classic example of this.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 07:04 SupernickyWroe. Good morning. So I'm really out of touch, am i.? As you seem to know much more than me, can you please explain to an out of touch idiot like myself how Mr Osborne will get a return on his investment. One thing I can guarantee is that it will not be through the sale of the club. I understand from a source within Torbay council that unofficial talks are taking place now and plans for a new stadium will be revealed during the autumn/ winter 2019.
You haven't addressed any of the points I have raised.
You mention that he will get his "investment back" above, but previously said that he would "give it away" to Masters...???
As for a new stadium, (which he promised us by 2020) you again to fail to take into account Uncle Clarke's previous MO.
And of course you "understand from a source" that talks are taking place.....
Perhaps if you enlightened us all with some detail, some other posters on here may believe you a bit more.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

JamieE wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 07:56 We will probably have a situation where the money owed to Osborne will be as such that he will use it as his main negotiation tool when going back to the authorities regarding purchasing Plainmoor. He will be in a lot better position to get his way.

[highlight=yellow]Personally I feel if the club wasn’t bought by Osborne it may not still be here[/highlight] - that’s the reason it was eventually sold to him in first place. So if he builds a new stadium and he does what he wants with Plainmoor I won’t have too many complaints. I just can’t see it going that smoothly.
Nobody is disputing that. Its his past history where the problem lies.

TUST Member 468

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

The past history is worrying , but the professionalism about the club now is great, but that niggle is very much still worrying. I can't really understand it myself. What's in it for him at the end of the day if we stay tennets at our beloved plainmoor. It's not a win win situation for anyone at the moment though we are on a crest of a wave with our manager and the squad looks great.
I find it all a bit confusing
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

It's all good until Osborne wants to move to the next stage, get the freehold to Plainmoor and promise a new stadium. Whether that materialises, is as good as the one we have for football, or we can play at it at a reasonable rent, all remain to be seen. I fear that we are more likely to go the way of Coventry, Hereford or Bury.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Reasonable rent won't come into it , there is nothing like a secure tenancy with the local authority.its beggars belief what's happened at Coventry
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I did wonder when the subject of Osborne and his ownership of the club would materialise again, its been far too quiet. Everyone has their view on whether he is the devil incarnate or the actual reality, the saviour of the club. People will mention that others were in the market to buy at the time Osborne took over, no one ever stepped up , and those that did were just like the owners before that had two and six between them and hoped to profit from a fire sale. In the end Masters sold Truro for a pound to the company that owns the Cornish pirates, he is just a chancer and I think he will stick to running camping sites in future. Because of the entrenched views no one is ever going to come around to the others perspective. For me its all about the club, Torquay United, if we played at the Rec or Buckland I would still go and support the club, so whether we play at Plainmoor which will always lose money, or we get into the 21st century and move to a new stadium where additional facilities on site can financially support the club which to me is a no brainer. If Osborne gets the freehold of Plainmoor in recompense of his outstanding debts and his input to a new stadium so be it, my concern is that he never gets his hands on the freehold or sufficient of the freehold of any new stadium where he can hive it off to a third party company that he owns and then charge a huge rent to the club virtually holding them to ransom as happened at Coventry and Port Vale.