The new season ahead

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

dawlishmatt wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 20:54 DWB That's so so true. I was talking last week to my father who is 88 and always rants on about sammy collins. I was telling him that during the 1980s and more recently, there are many players that i never rated. Matt Elliott and Darren moore lacked pace and Lee Sharpe, well i didn't rate him. look how right i was. Darren moore played dozens of games in the top league as did Matt Elliott whom i believe played numerous times for scotland!!!!! It's a good job i wasn't Torquay manager at the time as we probably would have ended up playing Newton Dynamo's reserve team in division 6 of the south devon league.

:goodpost:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

No silly fool has come on here to make predictions for the coming season ...... until now!! I know predictions are stupid because they are affected by injuries, managerial sackings (not TUFC of course) and lots of other things, but we all like to make them!

My feelings are that it will be a competitive league as usual, but there are no promotion near-certainties as there were last season (Leyton Orient & Salford). I think Wrexham & Fylde will be up there again, and maybe Solihull Moors. The bookies seem to think Notts Co. will walk the league, but I don't think they will - nor Yeovil. I think we could well be up there, challenging for a play off place. But I feel we are going to miss Saikou Janneh and Conor Lemonhaigh-Evans. So here are my Mystic Meg predictions -
Top Six: Wrexham, Fylde, Barnet, Stockport (with the support they get, they should do well), Solihull Moors, Chesterfield
Next Six: Eastleigh, Torquay, Harrogate, Chorley, Notts Co, Yeovil
Third Six: Woking, Aldeshot, Ebbsfleet, Bromley, Hartlepool, Degenham & Redbridge
Bottom Six: Barrow, Halifax, Sutton, Dover, Boreham Wood, Maidenhead.

There are no obvious candidates for relegation except maybe Maidenhead, so it could be quite a battle at the bottom of the table.

The other interesting factor is what will be happening to Bolton & Bury. I hate seeing clubs go under financially, especially when Paul Pogba's monthly wage could probably save both of them in the short term. Bolton - a club with so much history and Bury - a club very much like ourselves. I understand Bury are in the greatest danger of being thrown out of the Football League. If that should happen, and I sincerely hope for the Bury fans that it doesn't, I wonder if it will be decided to promote three from the National League at the end of the season, or relegate just one from Division 2 ? I suspect it will be the latter.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

I can't disagree with much you have predicted tomogull,except I think Chorley will struggle-promotion might turn out to be a mixed-blessing for them financially. I expect Boreham Wood to be as competitive as they always are and finish in the top-half of the table,and Hartlepool could be a top-six team this year, I think.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Stockport are remaining part time so I think they will fall short of competing for the play-offs. I'd expect Hartlepool to be up there this year though as they seem to have put their off field issues behind them.

Fylde seem to be the clear favourites (certainly not Notts, the bookies had them as favourites last year and look what happened!) and for me Halifax are almost a certainty to be relegated.

Champions: Fylde

Play-Offs: Chesterfield, Wrexham, Harrogate, Solihull, Hartlepool, Torquay

Relegated: Woking, Aldershot, Sutton, Halifax
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Just because Fylde are favourites it doesn't mean they will win the league. Billericay were something like 5/2 at the start of the season last year and look how that bombed.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Johnson saying today that there have been a couple of small holdups but still confident of having two new players (maybe three) by Saturday.

Also reporting there is no structural damage to Dicksons knee and both him and Davis expected back in three weeks
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

brucie wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 13:27 Just because Fylde are favourites it doesn't mean they will win the league. Billericay were something like 5/2 at the start of the season last year and look how that bombed.
True, although Fylde's situation is far more stable than Billericay's as they don't go through multiple managers a season, don't sack them via text for losing a game and don't have an absolute maniac as an owner (and sometimes manager when he feels like it). I'd be very surprised if Fylde don't challenge for the title this season. I think if they fail this time, then that could it for their promotion chances for the near future. Players like Danny Rowe won't want to stick around forever when they could be playing higher up the pyramid.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

tomogull wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 22:40 No silly fool has come on here to make predictions for the coming season ...... until now!! I know predictions are stupid because they are affected by injuries, managerial sackings (not TUFC of course) and lots of other things, but we all like to make them!

My feelings are that it will be a competitive league as usual, but there are no promotion near-certainties as there were last season (Leyton Orient & Salford). I think Wrexham & Fylde will be up there again, and maybe Solihull Moors. The bookies seem to think Notts Co. will walk the league, but I don't think they will - nor Yeovil. I think we could well be up there, challenging for a play off place. But I feel we are going to miss Saikou Janneh and Conor Lemonhaigh-Evans. So here are my Mystic Meg predictions -
Top Six: Wrexham, Fylde, Barnet, Stockport (with the support they get, they should do well), Solihull Moors, Chesterfield
Next Six: Eastleigh, Torquay, Harrogate, Chorley, Notts Co, Yeovil
Third Six: Woking, Aldeshot, Ebbsfleet, Bromley, Hartlepool, Degenham & Redbridge
Bottom Six: Barrow, Halifax, Sutton, Dover, Boreham Wood, Maidenhead.

There are no obvious candidates for relegation except maybe Maidenhead, so it could be quite a battle at the bottom of the table.
Well here we are - 14 games played already. Almost a third of the season. What about my predictions? Rubbish - what a stupid game football is! Turn the table upside down and my predictions would be pretty good with Fylde, Wrexham, Stockport and Chesterfield near the top and Hailfax and Dover near the bottom.

I still feel that there are no promotion certainties this year. Already there have been at least four team at the top of the league - Halifax, Woking, Solihull Moors and Bromley. And of my predictions for the bottm six, only Sutton are there. I thought Chorley would do much better than they are and Yeovil would be a mid table side. Still early days of course, but the league is starting to take shape. We are doing okay, but I feel we would be a few places higher if we had not picked up a number of injuries. We need more consistency as GJ has said.

With the sad demise of Bury, does anyone know what has been decided about who will replace them next season? Will it be just one relegated from Div 2, or three promoted from the National League?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

One relegated from League 2 and just two promoted from the National League.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 16:01 One relegated from League 2 and just two promoted from the National League.
I thought that's how the Football League would 'fix' it. Thanks for info.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

tomogull wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 21:51 I thought that's how the Football League would 'fix' it. Thanks for info.
Where and if Bury join a league next season, could have an affect on the relegation places. The NLS and NLN are changing to 24 team leagues next season, so the only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain! :keepie: